AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 is the new Ewido release

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by ElPiedra, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Heh? It was called "ewido anti-spyware" for quite awhile before this name iteration. And they made clear that the name change was just a marketing thing--underneath, ewido was not really geared as an anti-spyware application.

Don't get hung up on names; it's all marketing nonsense.

2. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

I certainly hope you are right , and thanks for the reply.
    Regards

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

oh! really.

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I would suggest that the name of the forum be changed from "Official ewido Support Forum" to something like "AVG (ewido) Anti-spyware forum". :D :p

5. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Can't say I'm very optimistic about the future of ewido/ AVG antispyware if AVG antivirus is anything to go by.
    I'm worried that we were told originally by ewido this was a 'partnership' -now it looks like a good old fashioned takeover with distinct overtones of Symantec-type rebranding.
    Fortunately I didn't buy a lifetime license.....
    I'll be dumping AVG AS when my subscription runs out in a couple of months as I can't have a anti-trojan product protecting me that I don't trust.
    The question is do we give altogether on ATs following TDS-3 and now ewido and move on to (only)proactive products like Online Armor and PrevX (plus an AV) or do we move on to the next best (e.g. BOClean).

6. pbparker

pbparker Registered Member

No it wasn't. I just uninstalled 4.0 and tried the 7.5... blah.

There is absolutely no reason this app needs to sit and read 21,000 registry keys a minute on a machine sitting idle. In addition, when I disable the resident shield, it continues to pound. In comparison, version 3.5 read about 100 a minute.

I've now uninstalled 7.5 and now need to decide whether to buy something else or go back to 3.5 for the time period.

7. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I wouldn´t say BOClean is a 2nd rate application, it´s actually an excellent product. However it´s limited by the fact that it has a resident focus, so you can´t do on-demand scanning. But in conjunction with a good AV (AT!) such as e.g. KAV or Nod32, you fill up the gap pretty well.

Regards, C.

8. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I'm not seeing this with V7.5. RegDefend and Filemon are not showing evidence of this. Hmmm. It looks to me like this was repaired for V7.5.

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Before with Ewido, this was the site where everyone were able to submit their samples.

http://www.ewido.net/en/malware/

What's the new site with AVG Anti-Spyware?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

10. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Who said this and where he said this?

o_O

Regards,
    Vinzenz

11. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I emailed AVG and asked them about the help files missing.
    This was their reply

there were delays with creating the help files for this particular product
    but as all other 7.5 editions were ready we felt that it was more suitable
    to launch the whole 7.5 product range together.
    In this email I have included a link to the latest user manual for the
    respective product of AVG 7.5 Anti-Spyware:
    http://guru0.grisoft.cz/softw/70/fi...i-Spyware/User_manual/avg_asw_uma_en_75_3.pdf
    The user manual should provide you with answers to all of your possible
    questions.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience,
    Grisoft Technical Support Team

also for submitting malware files if you have the licensed version, they told me to submit suspiciious files in password protected archive (zip or rar) for analysis to virus@grisoft.com.

This is only for the Pro licensed version.

robin

12. L Bainbridge

Your website as I recall.
    If this is all you are worried about rather than reassurring your customers that the 'ewido' team will continue to develop this admittedly excellent product then I guess my prediction will come true quicker than even I expected.....

13. shoe

shoe Registered Member

Why is everyone so pissed off It is a good product give it a rest.

14. L Bainbridge

Let me see...
    ewido - very good anti-trojan.
    AVG cr*p antivirus
    Cr*p antivirus company takes over good AT company.
    Product name changes. New version issued without decent help file.
    Unable to retain existing quarantine on upgrade, so it looks like upgrade was hurried to allow rebranding rather than wait for 'new' version to be completed.
    Painful silence on whether lifetime licenses will be honored.
    Doesn't look too promising....

15. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Err sorry that I am not hysterical about the same rumor as before. We stated that we're still working on the product and that there is nothing changed for the ewido customers.
    This is just another name. So where is the problem? It is the same product with different colors and another logo. I'm sorry but I cannot understand this rant.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

16. L Bainbridge

OK - Fair enough
    Time will tell....
    I just think you need to address these concerns openly.
    I'm worried because I've used ewido virtually since its start and I hate to see it go the way of so many other products.
    What's the logic of the new logo and colours if it isn't to assimilate it into AVG fully and I'm afraid to say my experience of Grisoft products (AVG antivirus) isn't good.
    I'll leave the thread because it isn't taking us any further and I'm afraid I'll be leaving AVG AS as well.

17. Ikester

Ikester Registered Member

o_O Really? I would think that spyware is fairly specific to the browser being used whereas trojans install as a separate application. Many AV pgms include trojan detection so a couple of questions:
    1. What trojans does AVG AV detect v.s. AVG AS?
    2. If AVG AV detects the same trojans, is AVG AS doing anything useful if FF is used for instance?
    How does the ewido/AVG AS database tie into the AVG AV database though?

18. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

A good question, I was wondering about this too.

19. ElPiedra

ElPiedra Infrequent Poster

Hi all,

This question was already responded, it is he same program reason why it is the same data base and are the same people who continue to supported, single change its mask.

Salu2

20. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Hello
    Ikester wasn't asking about how the ewido and AVG AS data bases tie-in, he was asking how the AV database ties in with the AS:

21. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

The new version seems to work well. The text box cursor locations now work (thanks) & the memory footprint seems a lot smaller now. The new AVG icon isn't too bad, but the little "s" in the middle looks a bit home-made I think.

I'm still testing, so have not yet rolled-out the update to my end-users. Once I do, I will be able to test the proxy authentication again. It's working fine through a proxy on my system though.

22. robinb

robinb Registered Member

When will Grifsoft send an update to AVG 7.5 antispya to put the Help files back in? Since they are still not there?

thanks
    robin

23. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

I still havent installed AVG AS 7.5 and continue to use Ewido 4.0 and get regular defination updates. In my opinion AVG AS 7.5/Ewido 4.0 just isnt that great an AS application, when you consider Counterspy, Spyware Doctor, Spy Sweeper etc have much better protection and monitoring capabilities. Even Outpost Firewall's AS Plugin monitors more areas on your PC than AVG AS 7.5. Why would anyone want to use AVG AS when it clearly doesnt match up to these other "dedicated" Anti-Spyware apps according to some reviews? I originally purchased Ewido 3.5 for its Anti-Trojan capabilities. Despite the rename/rebranding it appears to be going towards an AS application which cannot cut it against the competiton - yet. I use Counterspy 1.5.82 and I am beta testing version 2.0 - and it is likely I will continue to use Counterspy as my main AS app. I dont need both "AS" apps running. As version 2.0 of Counterspy will be a definate improvement over 1.5, I just cannot see any more need for AVG AS 7.5 as an AS app in my rig setup.

Peoples points of view differ on whether we still need an AT app, I still at this time believe that there still is room for an Anti-Trojan app in a persons layered setup along with an AV and an AS app. Im more concerned about the PERCEIVED DIRECTION of Grisoft/AVG/Ewido as more of an AS than AT. My yearly licence for Ewido 4.0 runs out in Nov 06, I dont think I will be renewing it (just as well I didnt buy a lifetime license). I may look at other standalone AT apps (although the number of these is growing less by the day) or do without. I just FEEL Ewido has been changed from a very good AT app to a mediocre AS app. They say its the same app only renamed.... but do we really know for sure?

The name change now makes any future review look at it as an AS rather than an AT app. The name change was a double-edged sword. The problem is many of us STILL dont know how good an AT app AVG/Ewido is since another company now owns it, changed the name and probably done other changes "under the hood" as well. With the name change, maybe we never will; since other AS apps arent tested for their AT capabilities (as they arent designed to do this). If anything, we are now seeing the likes of KAV, NOD and other AVs having very good AT detection rates. Which begs the question - Is AVG AS 7.5 going to keep detection of ATs as high on the agenda for this product, when AVG already have a standalone AV product? To me it seems the answer is NO. So in my setup, AVG/EWIDO is not required. I really liked Ewido when it was a plain old AT app... Just my opinion folks. :'(

Richie

24. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Greetings Peter, Vinzenz, Karl,

Could you please respond to these questions for us:-

I would really like to know the answers to these as well.

And this one.

Many thanks,

Richie

25. mypenry

mypenry Registered Member

Re: is the new Ewido release

As a Newbie, who is running ewido 4 ( paid ) and happy with it, I am a little apprehensive in changing over to any thing new with out trying to get some
    sort of feed back from forum members who have Actually done the change over..? can any forum members who have changed over to AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 , please let me have their thoughts, comments and advice on how things went with the change over and how things are going after you have changed over..?

Mant Thanks ......... Mypenry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.