Jetico query

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Seishin, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

I STILL NEED A RULE FOR MY ANTIVIRUS? (Avast) :)

Any clues?

2. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

There should allready be rules there. You shouldn't have to do anything else.

See picture.

Untitled-1.png

3. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

When you use your browser and your using the web filter in avast there should a few popups asking for internet access. Same when your updating. Click allow and make sure the check box for remember answer is checked.

4. Seishin

Cool. So anyway it doesn't matter if you nominate description as either ACCESS TO NETWORK or ANY, right?

Description as in:

General
    .....Description: Access to Network/Any
    .....Verdict:
    .....Log level:

5. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

You can put whatever you want in description.
    I did not add those rules to web browser table myself, they were created when I changed the virdict to web browser in the Ask User table.

6. Seishin

Done it already but they keep coming back randomly. I had that box checked already by default. Maybe Jetico developers have done some minor changes to version 1?? Odd.

7. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Click the second box at the upper left that looks like a file icon (I think its blue) that will save your configuration.

8. Seishin

Thx I have already checked that in here. It happens every time I open a new page.

It might have to do with the fact I am running limited and need to go to Admin and reload the saved policy.

http://img3.glowfoto.com/images/2006/09/05-2057144796T.png

BTW, are you using an IM (like Gaim, MSN, etc.)? Is there a specific rule for that?

Thx:)

9. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

It could be, I'm using Admin and never tried adding or changing anything in version 1. I know version 2 is easier that way. Its in beta now. I'm using it on this computer and have version 1 on another. But there is no way yet to use version 1 rulesets with the beta.
    I don't use IM's. When you start using the program it will have a popup to ask for internet access.
    Did you try editing the path or folder permissions? Or ask the the Admin to change the path of your policy?
    Make a backup of your optimal.bcf before you do in the path in post #33

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  10. Seishin

Thx a lot for your help but ended up uninstalling this fw since it has been giving me endless problems by running limited. In addition, I couldn't get rid of the after reboot pop-up in limited saying that "Jetico was unable to load the saved configuration", even though I saved in a shared folder.

Cheers.

11. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Sorry you were having with the limited account setup. Anyway allways glad to help.
    You may want to try Jetico 2 when it comes out of beta. I think this is the best firewall there is, and once you get it set up on your system, and all your programs configured it has zero popups. I think its an easy firewall to use.
    But I know alot of people disagree with that.
    By the way I have been to firewallleaktester.com and went through about half the tests so far and passed. I still have more to check when I get time.

12. Seishin

My machine will get married to that version if the developer plans to release it as free (what a dreamer!).

Thx anyway.

13. tbird6820

tbird6820 Registered Member

New to Jetico and also this forum, I’m using V-1, In Ask User, there should be a rule there for my web browser. (Which is C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe) I have a bunch of C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, should I make them all web browser’s in the verdict or delete all and make one C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe web browser?

14. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

You only need one rule for each web browser you use. ie; Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  15. tbird6820

after reading through the posts I downloader v-2 but I can't change anything, when I right click on jetico and go to about it said evaluation version evulation period has expired at monday dec. 18, 2006. Jetico personal firewall will run in a limited mode.

16. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

There is a newer version (Jetico 2.0.0.20) that is good till January 21, 2007 on Jetico website.
    Save your config file before uninstalling in GUI (File>Save as (jpfConfig). When new version is installed, reboot into safe mode and copy jpfConfig.xml into C:\Program Files\Jetico\Jetico Personal Firewall\Config
    Or after install click NO when Jetico asks to reboot and copy file to path and then reboot.

Rick

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There is no need to boot into "safemode" to change the config file for JPF2. You can either, close down the firewall, and then change (copy over) the config file, or you can load a config file from a different location.

Attached Files:

18. tbird6820

saving jetico v-2.0.0.17

I am not able to shut down jetico v-2.0.0.17 so I copied to folder where I'm keeping jetico v 2.0.0.20 (see screen shot) When I Install new version I can follow you above post to insert Shortcut to jpfConfig 2.0.0.17 also I have alot of popup from v-2.0.0.17 (do you want to allow once or block once will I be able to correct this in the new versiono_O?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2006
  19. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Re: saving jetico v-2.0.0.17

Don't use "create shortcut" use "copy". I just tested this with a shortcut and caused system freeze. Use File>Save As (in Jetico GUI) to copy and name file as jpfConfig or go into jpfConfig.xml path and copy to another folder (I keep my copy in My Documents and other Hard Drive) and use post # 42 to load config file.

EDIT: Jetico 2 Beta threads are here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=141626

http://www.smokey-services.eu/forum/viewforum.php?f=51&sid=9e2695898b0d1439052ec662afb3a288

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  20. tbird6820

Ok, I deleted shortcut in post #43, I had to go into safe mode an copied jpfConfig.xml 2.0.0.17 and pasted in same folder. now once I uninstall v-2.0.0.17 and install v 2.0.0.20 I can proceed to post # 42 to load config file.o_O

21. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Yes. That is correct

22. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Re: saving jetico v-2.0.0.17

Are your popup's from your web browser or another app?

23. tbird6820

thanks fror the help :D . the popup's are from v-2.0.0.17 my web browser and other app. I can not edit any of them. see screen shot. Also I would like to wish everybody a Merry Xmass and Happy new year.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2006
  24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

25. tbird6820

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.