Ghost Suite Unified Driver not starting

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by z4965, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z4965

z4965 Registered Member

I installed the Ghost Security Suite beta under Windows XP x64 with all updates. I have all AV software disabled (NOD 32). I downloded the Ghost update(s). I get the following error with Ghost Security Suite v1.110 (AppDefend v1.000 & RegDefend v2.050).

Could not START the Ghost Suite Unified Driver
    This means that the protection is not active

2. f3x

f3x Registered Member

hi z4965,

In order to implenent such low level protection, GSS need to install a kernel driver. However:

The Problem with such automated protection is that it can be easily disabled by malware. 64 bit version of ghost security have to disable patch guard in order to install it's driver. If Ghost Security is able to do it, other malware will be able to do it. This is why we beleive it's worth installing ghost security suite on 64 bit system. That way you'll be able to trap malware before they can disable windows security measure. This also means that 64 bit support of ghost security product will alwais remains beta as microsoft may at any time make change to it's patchguard support

----------------

Recently patch guard was updated by microsoft and we wait for a new release that will support the new protection. Until then, the recommanded solution is to uninstall this hotfix: Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB914784) published on 6/13/2006

Original thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=135755
    Hotfix description: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=67071

3. z4965

z4965 Registered Member

Thank you for your very prompt and thorough response. It is most appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.