How to remove dumb software from Security Center

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've encountered this stuff too many times. And now it does it. I'm tired of this crap (not specific to BitDefender though i'm pissed they haven't fixed this even though i've reported it while beta testing (again):rolleyes: ).

stupidfl9.jpg

Of course neither AV or FW are installed in this very case, Security Center is happily showing both as disabled. Total Uninstall did exactly nothing, cleaning all kinds of stuff in files and registry, nothing. Sorry to say but where the **** is this crap stored!? :mad: o_O
    You can disable AVs, you can stop popups from Security center, hell you can even disable it entirely. But removing just this software from it's "monitoring" is a total catastrophic pain in the ass. Aaaargh. It just hangs there and won't go away even if you nuke the damn PC :rolleyes: :ouch:

2. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Hey man! The best part of life is ripping files out of apps that pi++ you off! Hell, deltree a few folders.

Dave

BTW you made some great avast! skins.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I always disable Windows Security Center. I personally think it's a waste for anyone that knows anything at all about security.

Pete

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

See post this at DSLreports by Sir Lagalot
    Linky

I would make an image first. ;)

5. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Thanks for the tip, NAMOR! :thumb:
    It worked almost flawlessly. The only slight 'problem' I had was that the Windows Management Instrumentation service automatically turned itself back on when I tried to stop it (so I could delete the "Repository" folder). Set the startup type to "Manual" or "Disabled" temporarily (in "Properties"), and put it back to "Automatic" after you're done deleting the Repository folder.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thanks. Now i just have to make a tool out of this so anyone can do it easily.

Also no need to make an image. Just don't erase the files completely but keep them in Recycle Bin for the time.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

That would be great if you could make a tool for this. :D

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Ditto.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok, app is almost finished. I'm just doublechecking everything and writting OS dependencies.

Can someone with localized version of Windows XP tell me if these entries are writen in plain english or are they also localized. Doesn't really matter what language as long as it's localized (though i'd prefer some more "exotic" language like Japaneese or Spanish). Just to be sure because i only have english Windows XP...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Entries:
    CSDVersion
    ProductName

"CSDVersion" should have value "Service Pack 2" and "ProductName" should be "Microsoft Windows XP".

I need to know this so i can make a proper detection.

10. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

In french version, I got the same entries.
    Great job.
    Sincerly
    Cadoul from France

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Security Center Reset

Screenshots:
    scr01dh1.png

scr02pi5.png

Download:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O4H8HUQR

This is just a temporal download till i retransfer my webpage to new host (FileFront) for my downloads. Then it'll be there.
    And as you know if there are any bugs, report them to my mail.
    I hope this tool will be helpful :)

12. Fitzy

Fitzy Registered Member

Thanks RejZoR been looked for a app like this for a long time cheers:D

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Very nice RejZoR... Another piece of software that I will have to keep on my external drive.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Looks like something's not workin properly. Service stopping failed for some user:( Gotta test it in VPC...

15. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I think it may be a bit of a hassle, considering that users have to uninstall their firewall and antivirus before using SCR.

The best method would be to disable Security Center totally. You don't need it anyway.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And what you've done exactly by doing this? Wiping the dust under the carpet, nothing else...

17. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

If Security Center behaves like a pain in the @$$ with its style of detection, then just sweep it under the carpet. I wonder why Microsoft introduced this piece of software in the first place? :doubt:
    But anyway I think its up to the user to choose whether or not they want to do the hassle and bustle of uninstalling av, firewall, and doing SCR OR just shut security center up for good.

It's a choice anyway.

18. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Where can I find this ? It appears to be gone from megaupload and your pages in your sig does not have the file ?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060916 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006091604 [cairo]

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

This tool had some problems and i'm very busy with my new job so it might take a while to get this thing back...

20. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Thanks, I re-read the instructions, and manual removal of the 'junk' was easy.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060918 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006091805 [cairo]

21. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I agree, turn it off if you are knowledgable about your pc security.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just updated the tool. Version number is the same but it's tweaked a bit.

DOWNLOAD:
    http://files.myopera.com/rejzor/files/SecurityCenterReset.zip

Now it requires to be executed in Safe Mode (so i don't have to mess with services which kinda failed most of the time). If anyone has a need to use this tool, please provide me with feedback on how it worked (if at all). :)

23. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

Thanks. It works.

Sincerly
    Cadoul from France

24. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

I have a question about how to use this tool, I understand I have to use it in safemode, I also have to uninstall KIS with the Kaspersky removal tool in safemode (beta testing KIS). Do I need to restart system after removal of KIS or can I just run this tool right after removing KIS?

Billy S.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Fully uninstall everything (that also includes restarts after uninstallations (if program requsts one)). Then when you boot again after all this, run my tool in safe mode and follow the on screen messages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.