Wireless Computer Internet-less

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BCbear, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCbear

BCbear Registered Member

My daughters computer access the internet via a wireless system (Netgear WGR614). Having recently reformating the main computer I found no need to reinstall the Netgear CD in order for my daughter to get access to the net. She was fine for several days then the connection failed to gain access to the internet. I then decided to install to discover I had long forgotten the username and password to the settings page. I contacted Netgear via telephone and the agent was very helpful in getting me back into my system's page (he even talked me through setting up my printer as a network printer!).

But in the end my daughter still has no internet access. Her computer recognizes the wireless network stating an excellent signal is being received. I have tried everything, I think, to get it back including a system restore to the day she had no connection problem. I was away a few days and she said a virus warning for a worm had popped up when clearing out her Temp Internet folder (she didn't write it down). Is there a good scan to use that I can download, burn or put on a floppy to scan her system? Any other suggestions?

Both computers run Windows XP and have ZoneAlarm, Avast and SpyBot installed and updated automatically.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

two utilities i like for cleaning computers are ewido anti-spyware and superantispyware.

you can find thorough instruction for cleaning a computer in this thread: General Cleaning Instructions

as for your internet connection, i would follow the steps in this post to repair your winsock.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I have a WGR614 myself.

Are you sure that you are connected to your own router and not to your neighbour's?
    Are you able to open http://routerlogin.net/start.htm in your daugher's browser?
    Is the DHCP server enabled on the router and is the DHCP client enabled on the computer?

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

5. BCbear

BCbear Registered Member

wilbertnl, I am positive I am connected to my own network. I cannot get to routerlogin.net since my internet is not working. I have already tried the winsock program and have done the manual winsock regedit... all to no avail! I have run an anti-virus program as well.

The signal on her wireless connection is strong like it always was. Near the time, lower right of desktop, is a symbol of two computers. In the past these two computers would blink but since I have had this problem only one blinks. I don't want to reinstall the OS in attempt to fix this problem!

6. wilbertnl

Routerlogin.net is not on the internet, it is the setup page of your own router.
    If you are not able to open routerlogin.net, then something is wrong between the computer and the router.
    Do you use MAC filters? WPA enabled?

When you open the cmd console (start -> run: type cmd followed by enter) what does the command ipconfig /all show?

7. BCbear

BCbear Registered Member

ipconfig gives me the following...

Host name..... caillah
    Primary DNS suffix..... (no value)
    Node type..... unknown
    IP routing Enabled..... No
    WINS Proxy Enabled..... No

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge

Connection specific DNS Suffix..... (no value)
    Description..... MAC Bridge Miniport
    Physical address.... 02-0E-A6-4A-DE-9E
    Dhcp Enabled..... Yes
    Autoconfig Enabled..... Yes
    IP Address..... 0.0.0.0
    Subnet mask..... 0.0.0.0
    Default gateway.... (no value)
    DHCP Server..... 255.255.255.255

I am guessing the issue may be with the IP and Subnet values. For the main computer I was given all these values to enter and read elsewhere that each computer must have a unique IP Address therefore not to add the same values on the secondary computer and to find the IP automatically. Is that wrong?

Thanks for any further help.

8. wilbertnl

You have two options:
    1. Enable DHCP on the router and let the router issue an available IP.
    2. Maintain IP addresses yourself on each computer.

The easiest way to go is enable DHCP on the router, there is no advantage in having that disabled.
    You should be able to access the setup pages through your main computer.

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well..., to me it sounds a bit like a firewall configuration/operation problem. To verify whether or not that was the case, I would disable ZA, verify that Windows ICF is not running, and see if connectivity is restored. If it is, the issue lies with your firewall and that is where to focus your attention.

Blue

10. BCbear

BCbear Registered Member

I have disabled ZA several times over a few days and it never fixed the issue. I have had Windows firewall disabled since first loading the OS.

11. BCbear

BCbear Registered Member

It appears to be the issue is with the wireless adapter (Netgear WG111). My daughters friend came over with her new laptop which has a built in wireless adapter. Once I entered our WPA key she was up and running. So I can assume from this is my adapter has packed it in? or could there me a software solution?

12. BlueZannetti

Whenever this type of hardware issue happens to me, I:
    • Remove the device from the device manager, shutdown the PC
    • Physically remove, then reseat the board in question (a little surface oxidation can go a long way)
    • Reboot, then reinstall the appropriate device/driver
    • Make sure all settings are right under Network connections (Obtain IP and DNS set to automatic, DHCP enabled. Verify card radio enabled, etc.)
    • Run through basic Wireless configuration
    • Hope for the best
    • and if that doesn't work, verify that it is a board hardware issue using a borrowed wireless card in the machine in question. If that also fails, I'm missing something on the PC end of things and I recycle to the PC.
    Blue

13. wilbertnl

At least you know for sure that this problem is at your daughters computer and nowhere else. :thumb:
    It still could be software/setup. Are you sure that no XP services are disabled?

14. BCbear

BCbear Registered Member

Sorry if this sounds stupid but what services, and how I check these services, are you are refering to? run > msconfig? If so what should I look for?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and I think I may have really messed up my system!

15. BlueZannetti

I assume wilbertnl is referring to the so-called unneeded XP services that many casually deactivate on the recommendation of various websites without fully appreciating the potential impact of the step. If this doesn't ring a bell, it's not an issue.
    A good install is a good install, number of installs shouldn't be a factor at all.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.