Hurricanesoft personal firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ccsito, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

This program was discussed in another thread, but I thought I would ask a question if someone has any knowledge about this program. The author (located in Slovakia) recently released new versions of its free firewall 2.4, free pro firewall 1.1, and free internet security 3.1.3 programs. There are also three paid versions of these programs. The website doesn't offer much information as to what type of updates occurred with each new version. Also, it has a page devoted to "awards" from other sites that may or may not be of any significance in regards to program's usablilty and integrity (the award page looks sort of tacky to me). Anyway, my question is this: How is it that the non-pro version of the firewall is LARGER in size than the pro version? Would not the pro version have more features? And why is the Internet Security program smaller in size than the regular firewall program if it has extra features not included in that program? This looks to be the case that less is more? o_O Or could it be that something "extra" is there that is not evident for a user? :shifty:

http://www.hurricane-soft.com/Download/

http://www.hurricane-soft.com/Products/

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I may have a partial answer to one of my questions. Apparently, the internet security program can be considered to be "antispyware" as opposed to the other firewall programs. It isn't clear but that is one possible explanation.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Downloaded this internet security, that is like an an application/ execution monitoring HIPS. Installed it with an error and seem to have lack of options, did not fine even any rules, no option on popups to remember rules. Even the pop up was not fully displayed, i had to drag the pop ups upwards from the systray area.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
  4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Actual alert( at bottom) and the one i dragged up( on top).

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
  5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Interestingly the help file with this HIPS was that of FireWall and I got the firewall screenshots from there.

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Another snapshot from help file.
    I don,t think I will try it anymore. Even I am not aware whether it is a legitimate application or a rouge one.

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      36.3 KB
      Views:
  7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, I liked it GUI, simple and neat.

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thanks aigle for the screenshots info. It does look very clean and compact. Some of the terminology seems to be somewhat quaint (jailed process?). It appears that the three programs have been created with similar code and had files from the other programs overlap one another. There doesn't appear to be any good help documentation nor enough of background information to properly assess these programs. Since a help forum is lacking that also would be a deterrent to use it. I wonder why the word hurricane was used to name the product? I don't think hurricanes are common in Slovakia? o_O Thanks for trying it out. I thought it was odd that in other thread , it looked like someone associated with the company was posting "fake" messages about how good the program was. :rolleyes:

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can u link to the thread?

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

thanks, i would not have even tried it if I know this thread before.

12. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The information provided on the program's website is sparse and there is no documentation nor help forum so that made me hesitant to install it. I guess the program creator was trying to self promote their software on the message thread. Hope that it did not do anything nefarious on your system. :doubt:

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It can,t as I installed it in a temporary snapshot and then RolledBack to my original system. Otherwise I would not have tried it.

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That's good. It is always best to have a restore point to revert back to in case of installation problems. You never know what is inside many programs.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Infact these instant recovery programmes are a great fun.

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Which ones did you use for reverting your system?

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I use RollbackRx. I was a bit unstable at times though current version has proved much more stable so far.
    FDISR is another solid option.
    There are many others as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.