antikeylogger recommendations

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by angus49, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I checked the site as wel. U don,t need to give ur e-mail.

2. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

I never gave any e-mail address to install snoopfree , never seen snoopy phoning home either.

3. controler

controler Guest

I already told you the dedicated AK was anti-kelogger

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I presume then this is SiteAdvisors findings and not users comments - still, hard to believe, infact I'm thinking this is wrong...things can change though, I'll find out. The only time you would leave your email (if I remember rightly) would be with support...I had a BSOD due to my sidebar and snoopfree when I tested it...contacted support to give the errors, but did not recieve spam.
    SN gives snoopfree as freeware and gives his time to help with any problems with snoopfree also, so let him know if you have problems.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Reply from Stephen at Snoopfree.com :

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I emailed them and told of the situation.
    Jerry

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

This is BOClean's territory on my system. ;)

8. ESQ_ERRANT

ESQ_ERRANT Registered Member

Responsive to TNT's remarks to me --

I did not set forth a black and white declaration that SnoopFree does give out e-mail addresses to third parties. I said merely that it "sounds like one of those programs that takes as much as it gives" as you properly quoted, where the term 'sounds' = by definition (in this context) 'seems like,' i.e., seems like to me -- predicated on the CNET review that I read and which was quoted by Angus49. Actually, after I received your note, I took a closer look at the SnoopFree website, looking for a privacy policy, if the Company had one. There is one. Here it is:

"We here at SnoopFree Software value your privacy like it is our own. As such, we appreciate the sensitive nature of the information you may provide to us as we do business together. Our privacy policy reflects this understanding and you can review our privacy promises below:

bullet We promise to keep all of the information you may provide to us in the strictest confidence.
    bullet We will never send unsolicited advertisement e-mail to you nor will we provide your e-mail address to anyone else without your express consent. We may, however, send you e-mail if an important improvement to our software is available.
    bullet We agree to never provide your personal information to a 3rd party without your express consent. However, it may be necessary to communicate some of your information to our credit card processor to maintain proper accounting practices or to issue refunds.
    bullet If you pay for one or more of our products, we will be obliged to keep records of the transactions on our secured hardware. We will take all necessary steps to keep such information safe and secure. Our data backup policies require us to keep off-site backups of our critical business data. As such, your personal information will be encrypted and stored on appropriate backup media at an undisclosed location.

If you have any questions or comments about our privacy policy, send e-mail to support@snoopfree.com."

The link is: http://www.snoopfree.com/privacypolicy.htm. So, it is true, that, if we take the Company at its word, no third party marketing will occur. This is nice to know.

Concerning, your second comment, that the uninstall of SnoopFree went smoothly enough for you, on your machine, this does not entail that it has gone smoothly or will invariably go smooth for others on their machines, and I grant that many individuals do not utilize the appropriate procedures for either uninstalling or installing software. What troubled me here, however, was the claim, in the CNET quote, that a file called snopfree.sys was found in the Windows Directory of the particular machine and that the file was not, apparently, removed in the initial uninstall, assuming that the uninstall was done properly in the first place. Clearly enough, that particular file would not easily be uncovered in a registry search, given the absence of the additional letter "o".

Thus, my entry should be taken, at its worst, merely as a note of caution, and, then, too, in the context of keylogging software generally, where I have encountered my own set of problems, namely with PrivacyKeyboard. PKB, I believe, does a very good job of protecting one against keyloggers, and I will continue to use the program, but it is very tempermental and one must be very careful in the manner of uninstalling it. That, indeed, may be true for all anti-keylogging programs.

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Why worry? ;)

Firefox addon.

Temporary Inbox

Quote:

This extension generates random disposable email addresses. Use those email addresses for registration at forums, xxxxxxx or whatever.

The email addresses don't need registration.

This is an easy way to avoid spam, because the spammer never knows your private email address .. only the temporaryinbox.com email address.

And there the mails will be deleted after 6 hours.

Avoiding spam is sooo easy!

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2650/

10. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I installed SnoopFree a few days ago.
    It seerms to download no databases and it is thus a behavioural program, like PF free, both HIPS. So I am totally happy with both of them and they don't seem to conflict any. Infact I see no overlap in features.

Only downside I noticed is the memory consumption:
    SnoopFreeSvc.exe 1436 kB
    SnoopFreeUI.exe 3149 kB
    PG free consumes about 6 MB (PG systray icon can be exited)

So it is not bad at all though for added HIPS features that PG free does not have.
    They add nice program control to my light kerio 2.1.5 firewall.

I confirm also that no email or any kind of registration was needed, but in help file there is a mention, so maybe it was needed in older versions.

PS
    As already told, one should stick to postings in security sites like this and not put much trust if any to "user reviews" in cnet, download.com etc. I too read about that first "review" causing post by angus49 from cnet or like that caused these further posts before installing SnoopFree, but I knew almost sure then it was bullshit and bad uninstall. After I had got it running, I noticed that the guy should have maybe uninstalled first SnoopFree program listing protection for those ones put active, before uninstall. If even that necessary.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the information. Looks as if we were concerned for nothing, but I still do not understand the red rating by SiteAdvisor.
    Jerry

12. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  13. TNT

TNT Registered Member

You can also use http://sneakemail.com. I've been using it for ages. It rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.