System Snapshot Limited Users

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Ohdarn, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Hello:

This is the first time I have tried to use Spyware Blaster on a computer with some limited user accounts.

When I tried to create a system snapshot for these users it appears to get created. However when going back to verify the snapshot is there it says the snapshot is corrupted and will be deleted.

Is this because of the write privilages of the limited users?

Also can you tell me where the snapshots are saved on the machine?

Thanks
    Vince

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Ive never experienced a problem with limited users as it relates to snapshots. Does that happen on each limited user snapshot ?

Each individual snapshot will be stored in the Program Files\Spywareblaster folder with incrementing file names of ssave1.sss, ssave1.sss....etc.

HTH,
    Bubba

3. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Hi;

Just wanted to clear this up. SpywareBlaster does not actually cause errors when making the snapshot of the limited user account. What it does is if you want to look to see the list of snapshots you would click Restore System to Saved Snapshot Point, then click go so you could see a list of snapshots. That is when you get the errors.

Like I stated it only happens on the limited user account. I only have one of those. This is on XPPro sp2. It appears that it can not write correctly to the save location being it is on a limited account. There are not errors on the admin account.

The computer is the first time I tested this use of the program and it is freshly reformatted machine. It was not reformatted because of viruses or spyware in the first place. It just had a lot of software we did not need since we gave it a new job and it was just easier to reformat to clean it up.

Screenshot of errors attached. After clicking ok on second error SpywareBlaster shuts down.

Attached Files:

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

XPPro sp2 here also and as I stated earlier....I have not had a problem with a limited user account. However....I just now created another Limited User account just in case I was somehow lucky earlier and as expected it was able to write correctly to the save location regardless that it was limited account.

Since you have just now started using this function....I would suggest removing all ssaveX.sss files and sslist.sss from Program Files\Spywareblaster folder. I would then remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpywareBlaster\SS registry key....re-boot Windows and attempt to re-create this anomoly :doubt:

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

After doing some further checking I was able to somewhat get the same index is corrupted error you are seeing but it comes about when I get to the list of snapshots under limited user account and click on a snapshot.... that's when I get the error.

There are a couple of factors at work here I believe but it boils down to a Limited User Account needs to have Full Control selected for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpywareBlaster\SS key because that's one of the places Spywareblaster increments how many snapshot files should be contained in the Spywareblaster folder.

If an Admin created the first snapshot the SS registry key will be created along with the 0(zero) string value denoting 1 snapshot created and also ssave0.sss file is created. When a Limited User then attempts to create a snapshot it appears to create the snapshot but without permission to increment\write to the SS registry key's 0(zero) string value it really doesn't take.

Long way around the barn....give Full Control to the above mentioned registry key for the Limited User Account and see what happens. I also suggest starting all over as I mentioned in my previous post concerning the registry entry removal and snapshot files.

Your situation may still be different but that's all I could find concerning this anomoly :doubt:

6. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Ok sounds good.

So long as it is not only me now. Glad you were able to recreat the error. I really don't need snapshots of the limited account as there will be nothing saved there it is just an account to surf with when in question about the site I am going to. The account can be deleted and recreated at any time.

Maybe someone from Javacool will see this and correct the issue in a future release.

Thanks for your help
    Vince

7. Le Viellard

Le Viellard Registered Member

This is a question for the moderator re: System Snapshot.
    Where exactly are the snapshots stored?
    And in the emergency case that you would need to access these snapshots, are they readily accessible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.