Is Online Armor AV+ Enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mongol, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Just wanted to get a few users opinions on whether OA AV+ is enough protection when running with a good firewall / router. I am looking at upgrading my Online Armor subscription and have already squeezed Mike for his opinion. I'm just shaking the trees for what other users think since it doesn't seem to have a full time guard per se but does do a full AV scan and seems to scan folders & files as they are opened...o_O :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Even on its own, OA AV+ will provide excellent protection -- but only IF . . .

*The user makes correct decisions in initially setting the program guard (application by application) as to whether to allow/disallow/ask

**The user subsequently makes correct decisions in answering OA's questions concerning whether to allow or disallow new & unknown processes/applications that attempt to execute.

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

And they are now using the Kaspersky engine for the AV component.

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Thanks Bellgamin, Its kinda what I figured about setting things in the Guard correctly as I have
    experienced with Online Armor in a way. Making the right choices is where it all lies at the end of the day eh?

And Tony...that KAV engine is part of what attracts me to upgrade to this program. I have made more than a few hasty and foolish choices in the past and I am giving this a close look-see...:blink: :shifty: :eek: ;)

5. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Yes, but the AV engine is precisely here to help in answering OA's prompts ! ;) : If a file is malware, the prompt is different than common prompts, stating that the file shouldn't be run, thanks to the AV engine.

nicM

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Bellgamin (& everyone),

With AV+ if we know it is a virus then we'll display a big red warning - decision made.

I agree that there is a limitation with OA at the moment that the trusted application list is not as large as it could be. Historically, I've been keeping this up to date manually, and just recently we've started to put some automated logic in there.

Additionally, because of a large spike in downloads of Online Armor there is an enormous amount of new files to process. Clearly, the current approach is no longer workable on the basis that I like to get a couple of hours sleep per night.

We're taking steps to improve this situation. You can expect over the coming weeks a massive increase in the number of programs that Online Armor detects as safe as we get the bugs out of some of the automated systems that have been developed, and create new systems to auto-classify programs.

Cheers

Mike

7. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

A couple hours of sleep per night? we won't stand for that...just kidding. Believe me Mike we Online Armor users really appreciate you and your teams efforts over there - over yonder...:thumb: :eek: :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.