Booting TrueImage from USB-Stick?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by OLLI_S, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

Hello,

I use the German version of Acronis True Image (Version 8.0, Build 786).

I have an 1 GB USB Stick and selected my USB stick in the applicateion that creates the boot CD. My Stick was listed.
    On the stick there are some files created (about 8 MB).
    But if I boot from the Stick, it is not working.

I boot and restore my system very often, so I want a faster way to boot. Booting from CD takes some minutes.
    I hope it is faster from a USB Stick.

What do I have to to to create a bootable USB-Stick with the Acronis SW on it?

Thank you for your help.

OLLI

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi OLLI,

I presume you have configured your BIOS such that it expects to use a USB stick as the primary boot device? Depending on the BIOS there are sometimes a number of different USB boot device choices in the BIOS. If you are having trouble you should try each of them in turn.

Make sure that you do not have any other USB devices connected when you are booting - this is not strictly necessary, but for example in my configuration if I try to boot from a memory stick I have to unplug my USB external drive temporarily as this always gets chosen instead of the memory stick and it is not bootable anyway.

Finally, and somewhat surprisingly, the ability to boot from a memory stick is still not a standardised feature across motherboards - even if the BIOS suggests it is. I have memory sticks which will boot TI on some machines but not on others, so if you have done everything right above, your motherboard may still not accept a particular memorystick. If this is the case, I suggest you try another. An alternative long-shot would be to post the make and firmware version of your motherboard to see if anyone else has managed to find a compatable stick.

Good luck
    Foghorne.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.