General Preformance Degeneration

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by korona, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. korona

korona Registered Member

Redo XP System from scratch... Image alone the way; Windows Disk Management and Defrag start right away and all other applications run extremly fast. When I take any of the levels of images and restore; the Disk Management and Defrag take from 15 - 20 seconds to start and system/programs response slow.

I have done various test/installs/disk director on the re-installation of images at all levels and the preformance is not even near what is was prior to installing a fresh image - any suggestions or comments?

Plus Outlook 2003 Open then closes within one second...

There was/is no viruses on the system...

Does True Image/Disk Direct change Booting/MBR/Start files or reoganizes the structure in which windows has a harder time working with?

Kirk

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Kirk,

Are you referring to True Image, Disk Director or both?

3. korona

korona Registered Member

Dear Tabvia,

I am refering to a True Image restoration. I have used Disk Director to assist in reformating, cleaning, etc the partition to see if rewriting the MBR/Tables/Partition Size would change the way Windows preformed after restoration.

I am responding using Widows first (I have imaged 5 times) Imaged and I have the same problem, so as I have mentioned before it is at all levels of restorations. I have defraged after any restorations plus TI is good about putting files back in a tight format so little defraging is required.

Thank you for replying.

Kirk

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I wonder if restoring upsets any optimization that Windows may have done. If so, I would think the performance might improve as Windows "learns" although your 15-20 seconds seems rather long.

5. korona

korona Registered Member

I am thinking the same thing... the 15-20 seconds stays the same so there is no windows modification to optimize/remember the drive information...

korona

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I have a system that has been imaged and restored many times and it runs just like it should or as near as I can tell. 15 second delays are severe and you must have something running that is sucking up resources or perhaps your disks are no longer running in DMA, etc.

Is there anything in the XP event logger that show something has gone bad?

7. korona

korona Registered Member

Dear Responder,

I am very good at monitoring my system/etc. I have do a lot of test... Including working with Acronis... The systems ran great... Defrag/Disk Management ran great... I Image then restored... then the 2 run really slow after re-install of good image...

I have a Bible Software (Logos) that loads a long time and find bible resources. It also indicates that there is a problem... when it loaded prior to imaging it took 5 seconds to load and finding all the resource initially took about 5 minutes. Now it take 30 seconds to load and 2 hours to find resources...

All other applications run great...

korona

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Korona,

There are a couple of easy things that you could try which may indicate where the problem is.

1. Cleanup. When imaging a System disk/partition it is a good idea to cleanup the disk/partition before creating the image. Clean out the Recycle Bin and delete all the .bak, .tmp and other junk files.

2. Defrag. On a Home PC you should run defrag monthly. On a work PC run defrag every week. (NOTE : You must create a Full image after defrag and NOT an incremental or differential).

3. Create a new image and then Restore.

4. If perfomance has returned to normal then problem solved

5. If performance is still sluggish switch off all startup programs that are not absolutely essential for running your system (very few are absolutely necessary).

6. If this resolves the problem then swich the startup programs on one-by-one until you identify the program that is causing the problem.

Let us know the result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.