NOD "scanning error"?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JRCATES, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I am continually getting an "Error occurred while scanning MBR sector of the 2. physical disk. Error reading sector" message when scanning with NOD32 (either full system scan or right click for a single file). Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9168/nodscanningerrordb3.png

Any idea what could be causing this? Or what I could do to eliminate it from happening?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi JR, the MBR error messages you are seeing, relate to:

1. you perform a system scan under the account of a limited user.
    2. you have a special boot manager or suchlike program that alters boot sectors installed.
    3. you use a card reader while no card is actually inserted.

Cheers :D

3. JRCATES

Hi Blackspear, thanks for your reply. :D

When you say "limited user".....would that include signing in as "Administrator"?

As for #2 and #3, I don't have any special boot manager type program running or installed that I am aware of.....and I don't use any "card reader" that I'm aware of.....so hopefully signing in as Admin is what you're referring to. And if so, does that mean that NOD is actually designed to be ran outside of being signed in as the Admin? And is this particularly a problem, and/or is there a way to circumvent this?

Sorry, I know this has to sound extremely newbieish....:oops:

4. Blackspear

My pleasure :D

No, Administrator is the highest level. Limited, would be “Guest Account”.

Do you have a printer installed that has a card reader in it?

Never hold back in asking, it’s the only way to learn, and I ask lots of questions, you should see the staff forum; ....oh know not another one from Blackspear :blink: o_O ;) :D

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

do u have second partition maybe?

6. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Just checked it out in my case.
    I have a hidden partition (Sony Vaio recovery), partition C and D, all on one physical disc. I got the same error message regarding to the MBR of the _second_ physical disc.

Seams to be a problem NOD32<=>X-Partitions on _one_ disc.

7. JRCATES

I have a Canon MP390 (printer, scanner, copier, fax) that allows to print photos directly from compatible cameras and memory cards, etc. (even though I haven't used it for that purpose yet).

I'm not sure what constitutes as a second partition (computer illiterate describes me pretty well), but I know that I only have the one Windows XP operating system. I do have a Pentium 4 processor with Hyper Threading which is recognized as two processors.....think that means anything?

Thanks for the heads up, Tommy.

So how can I check and see if I have a "hidden partition" or noto_O

8. Blackspear

Bingo, we have a winner. This is the cause of your error.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im thinking it ur printer. since it has slots for memory cards but its currently empty, then thats why nod32 shows that error.

its only a hunch. try scanning again but with the printer off and see if teh error goes away.

10. JRCATES

LOL.....man, that is why I love these forums so much. So many knowledgeable people around to help out with problems like this.

Thank you!!!

Yep, that was the culprit. I turned off the printer, and viola! No MBR error message!

I don't suppose that there is any way around this, though, is there? I mean, I'm not going to have my printer turned off a majority of the time when scans are ran.

Oh well, at least I now know that it's nothing "serious", and that the error message can safely be ignored....

Now, I just wish there was something I could do about "Damaged Archives" and "Locked Files"!!!

11. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I have a printer with the same funcions (Epson CX4500) and during my scan the printer was disconected. So that leaves to possibilities:
    1. My Memory Stick Reader
    2. More than one partition on one Disc

Dissabled the Driver for my internal Memory Stick and look! Error message gone :)

@JRCATES
    What a chaos do you have on your PC :)

12. TRucK

TRucK Registered Member

noob. the following, is it true?

4. you have a Virtual PC (e.g. MS Virtual PC 2004 SP1, VMWare Workstation 5.x)

i searched a bit on the forums, and in NOD32 docs. came up short. is there any way to exclude a virtual pc from NOD32 to stop the error? i was also looking to confirm that the error was indeed the Virtual PC. in other words, i would like some reassurance that "5. physical disk" is the Virtual PC.

"Error occurred while scanning MBR sector of the 5. physical disk. Error reading sector."

thanks!

( i don't think i am hijacking this thread... i got here from the FAQ on MBR error messages. )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.