Incremental back-ups from moved files / folders

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Michael in Hamm, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael in Hamm

Michael in Hamm Registered Member

Hello,

I use incremental back-up and I want to now, how True Image works if I only move files or folders on my disk.
    And I have the same questions if I rename a file / folder.
    Will there be a back-up of the entirer file / folder ?
    Or will the action of movement be archived only ?

Thanks a lot for supporting me.
    Michael

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Michael,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that in case of a disk\partition images Acronis True Image does not backup files or folders but operates on a sector level backing up sectors of the hard drive and information about it's geometry. When you do an incremental or differential image Acronis True Image is backing up all sectors that changed since last full, incremental or differential image has been created.

As for file-based backups, when you create an incremental or differential backup all files and folders that have been modified in any way since last full, incremental or differential backup was created are included into the resulting incremental\differential backup.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

You may also find Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page helpful.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Michael in Hamm

Michael in Hamm Registered Member

Hello Alexey,

thank you for responding, there is no problem about the delay.

If I understand you correctly, files that are moved will be backed-uped twice. This results that the HDD-space required for the backup of this file will be doubled.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to identify that that file has only been moved without being changed ?
    There is a lot of HDD-space to be saved if TI might handle like that.

It's just an idea for a new release .....

Lots of greetings
    Michael

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Michael in Hamm,

Please note that as Alexey said disc imaging operates on a sector level and on this level there is no information if the sectors contain the file that was moved or the newly created file. When you move the file/folder it changes the file/folder location on the disc and, thereforem, the backups reflect these changes. This is similar to the incremental or differential backup created after a disk is defragmented, they might be considerably larger than usual. Therefore, it is recommended that you re-create a full backup after disk defragmentation.

Thank you for your suggestion. If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.