master boot record recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gnappo, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnappo

gnappo Registered Member

Is it possible to recover just the master boot record without rewriting the whole partition? If it is possible someone could teach me how to do that. I was not able to find anything in the guide. I have Acronis Home 9.

2. gnappo

gnappo Registered Member

What I have to say is that I just have the image og the disk C: partition, but not of the entire disk, and now I have the mbr which is damaged somewhere because of a failed linux installation on another partition.

3. aoz

aoz Registered Member

as long as teh c: partition was made with one of the later versions of acronis that includes the MBR backup;
    you can go to recovery, and it asks you to select the image you want to recover, adn from that image it asks what you want to recover; you can select drive c:, or the MBR-track-0

4. gnappo

gnappo Registered Member

I cannot do what you say.o_O
    I go to recovery: I select the image, and it ask to select the recovery of disk (or partions) or files and folders.
    If I click on disk or partition, I can just select the disk, if I click on files or folders, I get a list of all the files and folders but I don't see the MBR.
    Is it sure that this option to fix MBR should appear?

5. aoz

aoz Registered Member

I'm not sure what to tell you.
    If I boot from the recover CD, and select the image to recover from, and select the partitions, it is giving me option for

__Drive C
    __MBR and 0

I ususlly select MBR-0 first, then it gives me option to "select additional partitions"; I go back and select "drive c"

What version do you have?

and what version made the backup/image?

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

IF AND ONLY IF THE C: PARTITION IS THE ONLY PARTITION ON THE HARD DRIVE OR UNLESS THE ENTIRE PHYSICAL DISK HAS BEEN IMAGED !!! OP's posts imply they have other partitions on the disk. If so, then if OP only selected the C: partition alone, then the MBR is not in the image.

ATI has ALWAYS suffered this limitation and it is entirely beyond me why it still does. It's burned many users who didn't know any better.

7. gnappo

gnappo Registered Member

I have Acronis True Image 9 Home Italian version build 2.374 (and I cannot update because I bought it in Italy, as I was said). But I would be disappointed if I bought a product which is less powerful than the english version, because I bought it recently and I paid the same price (and maybe something more...) than the price reported in www.acronis.com .
    Anyhow I tried both from windows and also from the CD created with True Image, and the choice you say is not present.

8. crofttk

There's NO version of Acronis True Image Home, Italian or English, as of this date, that will include the MBR in the image of a multi-partition disk if you've only selected the C: partition for imaging.

9. gnappo

gnappo Registered Member

Anyhow I just checked in the manual (italian) and the manual (english).
    In the english manual it is said that in a partition image the mbr is written. In the italian manual is it not said.
    And the manuals refer both to Acronis 9 Home.
    No comment.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  10. gnappo

gnappo Registered Member

I think it's not true: I just downloaded the manual (english):
    http://us2.download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage9.0_ug.en.pdf

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  11. aoz

aoz Registered Member

12. crofttk

OK, guys, I just tried it myself and was really surprised to see the MBR/track 0 offered along with the single C partition as an option ! I have 3 other partitions on this same drive and had only backed up C: just after gnappo's last post.

Thanks also for your post aoz, and I apologize for not double checking before making my repeated claim.

However, it's not clear to me from your linked post: although you saw the option to restore the MBR along with your C: drive, as I just did, did you actually try restoring C: and the MBR at this point ?

The definitive test would be if you had purposely trashed the MBR before restoring to ensure that the recovery was based solely on the image -- I don't suppose you did that before testing did you ?

If this is all true, and I don't have reason to doubt either one of you now, it's indeed a recent and welcomed development. I was aware that MBR restore recently became an option but thought the MBR backup was still not done for C: image from a multi-partition disk.

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I have TI9 build 3567.

My system disk is partitioned into C: and D: . I usually create images of C: only and when I start a restoration process from such an image of C:, I'm given the option to select either Partition C: or MBR and Track 0 for restoration. Only the selection of Drive 1 (whole disk) is disabled in this instance.

Edit: Seems the question has been cleared before I posted.

14. crofttk

OK, Well, I reckon I will have to do this test on mine and go ahead and select C: and MBR for restore -- but I'll have to wait til I get back to where my external USB is to hook back to this laptop -- I made the prior mentioned image across a wireless network to another machine and I'm not about to try this with that, I doubt the rescue CD supports wireless.;)

15. aoz

aoz Registered Member

crofttk,
    yes, I restored MBR-0, and c:
    AND, these were actually ENCRYPTED partitions (another thread on here htat I've been working with)

But,yes, it does allow selecting the partitions, and/or theMBR-0

Nick

16. crofttk

Thanks much for the reply, Nick. That clears up one of the things about ATI that had stuck in my craw for a loooong time.

I much appreciate you all straightening me out on that.:)

17. aoz

aoz Registered Member

You are welcome.
    This forum is fantastic; beats out a lot of other "suport and exchange" forums. I have learned a lot on here; graduated to here from Partition Magic/Drive Image age (when Powerquest wrote their own software); I think Acronis is now number 1 in this area.
    Yes, there are quirks, but if we users help them out, it helps us all.

Nick

18. crofttk

That's for sure. Just when I think I have it all figured out, I learn something new here. I guess the day I stop learning new things is the day I'll have to hand my keyboard in.;)

I'm also a pre-Symantec Partition Magic fan although I new got to try Drive Image as I was happy with Ghost 2003. Of course, everything change once Symantec bought Powerquest -- for the worse, IMO.

I got turned onto Acronis' products independent of these forums and there have been ups and downs between ATI and myself (same with Disk Director Suite) but I hold out hope for continued growth and improvement on Acronis' part, helping where I can with the beta testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.