Downloading/Installing

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dragonflyguy73, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonflyguy73

dragonflyguy73 Registered Member

Alright, I can't figure this out for the life of me, and it's completely frustrating me! There's a program that I try to download, and IMON catches it because it has adware. I then try to turn IMON off temporarily. The file instantly disappears from where I saved it to unless I leave my download manager (firefox) open, and then run the program. I think that since I have gotten NOD32 and it's run a few scans, it's done something that screwed something up!!! When I try to install the program, there is always an error because of an unknown reason, or it can't find a file that should be there, or there is an error originally that says it can't be saved to where I try to save it to! And since the program and the programs it comes with have adware, I also need to put them on the allow list, which I can do. But first I need to be able to actually install the program! I think NOD screwed up something, and I can't figure out what. Turning off the Control Center doesn't make a difference either.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

What's the program you are trying to download, please place a link here though disable it e.g. hxxp://xyz.com

Cheers :D

3. dragonflyguy73

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to discuss it. Let me check the forum rules real quick.

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi dragonflyguy73,

To download a program that contains adware, you have a couple of choices depending upon the specific detection, but what you are trying to acheive to get it downloaded is the same regardless. You need to not have both IMON and AMON detect it. Probably disabling temporarily detection of Potentially Dagerous Applications in both modules will do that for you.

Be aware that if ESET add detection for something it's because of a genuine threat of some sort.

Cheers :)

...sorry beaten to it - twice - please follow any advice Blackspear offers first.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  5. dragonflyguy73

hxxp://bearshare.com

It's Bearshare, but it seems to either not want to download on the desktop at all, or it seems that a file needed to install it isn't there. I'll try disabling what the above person said and if that doesn't work I'll reply about that.

6. dragonflyguy73

I disabled the detection of those in AMON temporarily, but IMON doesn't have that option I think.

It shows the alert for IMON, but maybe AMON was catching it too. I'm going to try to download it again now.

I turned off IMON for a minute, and disabled the detection of Potentially Dangerous Applications in AMON. When I go to the actual download link from their page, it says that it can't find the file at /BSINSTALL.exe. Is it possible that the file is corrupt, or they are having some sort of problems with their downloads?

7. alglove

alglove Registered Member

IMON --> Setup --> Miscellaneous --> Scanner --> Setup....

8. dragonflyguy73

Ah, thanks. I disabled IMON entirely for a minute when I tried to download it, but it still can't be downloaded properly.

I just thought of something... For AMON/IMON, could it be that the file is being blocked by the selections under the "Additional Options on Create" section of Setup?

9. alglove

You are trying to download the FREE sponsored version of BearShare 5.2.4? That is detected as having Win32/Adware.180Solutions. Unchecking the "detect Adware/Spyware/Riskware" boxes will probably let you get around that.

Yes, that is probably the case.

10. dragonflyguy73

I will try that and if that doesn't work, I dunno :doubt:

ADDED: Yay! You were right, it was the adware detection from IMON that was blocking me from even downloading it, let alone installing it. Now that it's installed, all I need to do is put the files under the "exceptions" for AMON, am I correct? I'm stil trying to figure out the whole program, but thanks a lot for the help, everyone! You're all very helpful.

11. alglove

Yeah, that is pretty much right, assuming you can figure out exactly which files or folders to use for the exceptions.

My guess is that NOD32 has no issue with the BearShare files themselves, since the unsponsored BearShare Pro setup file downloads without any problems at all. It is most likely the 180Solutions files you need to worry about. I do not know enough about that to tell you exactly what to do, though. :doubt:

I guess one alternative may be to let NOD32 (AMON) catch the 180Solutions files as they are accessed. That may let you know where these files are, if nothing else.

Another alternative may be to run with the AMON Adware/Spyware/Riskware box unchecked, but I would not recommend that. It could leave you open to too many risky files. :ninja:

By the way, be aware that if you run a full system scan, that scan will pick up the 180Solutions files again (unless you tell it not to search for adware). Unfortunately, there is no "exclude" option for the on-demand scanner in version 2.5. Many people have asked for that option, so I hope in comes with version 3.

12. dragonflyguy73

Well hopefully version 3 has that option, then I can include specified parameters to exclude certain folders for scheduled on-demand scans.

I think that if the antivirus automatically "cleaned those files, when I went into Bearshare I'm pretty sure it just says that some files are missing and downloads them again. Not too much of a hassle.

^ Well, I've set up my daily scan to basically include everything besides adware. I think I'll do a manual "just adware" scan once a week or so, so that I can set it up and choose what to do with each one found.

13. dragonflyguy73

Each time I open Bearshare and AMON has the adware/spyware/(other one here), it always kills one of the bearshare files, and it has to close and then redownload it. I don't want to completely turn off the adware/spyware scanner with AMON. Should I set it to notify me and then run Bearshare, so that it might show me where some of the adware files are so I can add them to the exceptions list? If not, anyone have any other solutions to this? Thanks.

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Try excluding that program in AMON, you can find out how to do this in the Tutorial.

Cheers :D

15. dragonflyguy73

I think AMON keeps getting rid of this one file, and bearshare keeps having to redownload it, which I can only do if I turn the adware detection off on AMON for a minute. It's a .dll that the adware program(s) associated with Bearshare try to access, and when they do, AMON gets rid of it. However, even when i turn AMON's adware detection off for a minute, the file isn't there, and I still can't find it, even using search. I'm not exactly sure what I should do next.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  16. alglove

Are you able to find that .dll in the NOD32 System Tools --> Quarantine section? If so, try reading the (former) location of that file. If you cannot read it, try resizing the "File name" field by dragging the border between "File name" and "Size" to the right.

Once you know the location and name of the .dll, set up an exclusion for it in AMON. Once you have done that, go back to the Quarantine, right-click on the file, and choose "Restore".

17. dragonflyguy73

Thanks, I wasn't able to put the file back into the "Downloaded Program Files" section under the WINDOWS folder, so I just put it in the WINDOWS folder and try to change the "Downloaded Program Files" folder from read-only so I can put the file in there and then exclude it so that Bearshare will find it in the right location. Whenever I change the folder from read-only, however, something automatically changes it back to read-only, and I can't put the file in there. Is this some automatic Windows process that does this? I've determined that AMON isn't doing this.

18. alglove

C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files is one of those "special" Windows folders, in that what you see in Windows Explorer is not the full picture of what is really there. Another folder which falls into the rough category would be the Recycle Bin. So yes, it is a Windows thing that causes this.

Try setting up an exclusion in AMON for the entire C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder, then let BearShare reinstall those files for you. Once it has done that, test to see whether it works. If it does, then you will probably want to set up the file-specific AMON exclusions, and unexclude the Downloaded Program Files folder.

19. ASpace

ASpace Guest

A little bit off topic but why do you want to install adware on your computer ?:oops:

20. dragonflyguy73

Because in order to have Bearshare installed properly on my computer so that it doesn't have to constantly reinstall every time I open it and need to turn off AMON for half a minute, I need all of the adware files intact that come with it.

21. dragonflyguy73

IMON is giving me problems now too, causing my Bearshare to get an "error" and have to close, so I need to disable that when using it. I disabled it and tried to reopen Bearshare and it wouldn't, so I think I'm going to restart and then see what happens.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

this shows that nod32 is doing its job IMO aka getting rid of the rubbish.

cant you use bittorrunt?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  23. dragonflyguy73

Bearshare is usually faster and much easier than using torrents, not to mention many torrents cost money and have a bandwidth limit.

Even when I temporarily disable IMON to download through Bearshare, IMON still somehow causes an error and bearshare has to close! This is really getting annoying.

This is what I get when i click "show info" or w/e when the error window pops up.

Error Signature:
    AppName: bearshare.exe AppVer: 5.2.4.7 ModName: imon.dll
    ModVer: 2.51.26.0 Offset: 0000b62b

Even when I uncheck adware on both AMON and IMON, or even also turn IMON off, IMON is still somehow causing it to close, even though I've got it turned off and have reinstalled the files previously deleted by NOD.

Does anyone know of any good P2P file-sharing programs other than Bearshare, Limewire, and Kazaa. Bearshare and Kazaa both have adware. Limewire would be fine, but it doesn't have that many sources or nearly as many total files being shared as with Bearshare. I don't like torrents, as downloading direct is usually faster for me. Torrents usually cost money per month and have a bandwidth limit too, don't they? I like the P2P programs such as Bearshare because I can download music, movies, files, word documents, and pictures.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  24. alglove

Have you tried setting up an IMON exclusion for Bearshare? o_O ;)

IMON --> Setup --> Miscellaneous --> Exclusion --> Edit... --> point to the bearshare.exe file

25. dragonflyguy73

Ah, I've overlooked the exclusion section in the IMON miscellaneous section of the setup many times now that I think about it! Thanks.

I've added Bearshare's exe to my IMON's exclusion list, and have also put the folders that contain adware tied in with bearsh in there too. (C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files, and a Temp folder in Documents and Settings) I'm going to scan these two folders manually at certain times to make sure that a virus can't hide in there due to the exceptions I have set on them. So far Bearshare seems to be working fine.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.