free regsitry clean up tool?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I'm looking for a free registry cleanup tool (if one is available) just recently uninstalled something, and want to make sure I got rid of ALL of it.

2. claire

claire Guest

JV16 1.13 is free
    Click on the link and 1.13 and you'll get it

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/websecurite/

Even if the text is in French you'll get the progie in English ;)

3. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Hi Comp01. Had the impression by your Sept 7th post in the 'privacy general' thread regarding Quicktime that you were going to try RegCleaner. Didn't work for you, or work well? I was always curious.

Later Rick

4. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Uhh, I was sent to jd-power tools thing there, and hats shareware (or so said the version I had, and the www.macecraft.com site) :doubt:

5. claire

claire Guest

Hey,
    Sorry to hear that because it's how I got my own freeware version(1.3).Did you use the red link after the mention version1.3 inthe text?

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm - I found it on the Wilders.org download section, er something, is that a OK program?

7. cl0ck

cl0ck Registered Member

jv16 is no longer a freeware
    from the author's website: "This might, however, be a sad news for some of you, since from now on the jv16 PowerTools is no longer freeware. The decision to convert it to a commercial product wasn't easy for the program's original author, Jouni Vuorio. He has been working in the field of freeware system maintenance tools from the age of 17, now at the age of 21 he had to made the call. The biggest actual change will be in the quality of the software. "

i m using regseeker now, url is http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    however, i thinks that jv16 still does a better job

does anyone know the link to download freeware jv16?

8. Weber

Weber Registered Member

look at majorgeeks

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1680

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey cl0ck

Thanks for sharing RegSeeker Info; I’ve tried it out its pretty good for being Freeware, However the only way to go is Combinations of few different Registry Cleaning Systems. All being unique in their own ways, few additional mouse-clicks but its more efficient in the long-run…

10. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Even a combination of different registry cleaners will leave a large amount of junk behind.
    First of all, most of them have a mile long Ignore list containing stuff they'd rather not touch, and they're usually not particularly good at telling what truly belongs on your computer, and what does not.

They will also occasionally remove something it shouldn't have, but fortunately almost all reg cleaners do back up what they remove.

Therefore they usually err on the safe side, and hence tend to leave a lot behind.

The value of many "unneccesary" and "orphaned" registry keys and values found is also open to debate.
    When I run JV 16's RegCleaner, it will present me with a impressive list of "orphaned and unneccessary" registry entries, but about 80% of these are MRU list items (User tracks, recently viewed files, the history of visited sites), subkeys in HKCU\Software and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu, which will be recreated as soon as you restart your computer and start using it.

It won't therefore really contribute to a true reduction in "Registry Bloat".

In my experience most uninstallers really do leave an enormous amount of junk behind.
    Here's an interesting article in that respect: Registry Cleanup Techniques

BTW, this article deals with MS RegClean which is a different application from RegCleaner. The principle remains the same, though.

In short, even after running a variety of Registry cleaners, lots of stuff still remains te be removed, that is, if you really want to do a thorough job, and you have oodles of time on your hands...
    It remains to be seen whether it's really worth it...

These orphaned registry keys and values will usually cause no trouble at all.

The best thing to do is to avoid accumulating all that junk in the first place. To that end, use an install monitor like InCtrl5

It take snapshots before and after, so that you know exactly what files and reg keys and values have been added, removed, or altered.

I also use Ashampoo Uninstaller a lot, which is kind of a cross between an install monitor and an uninstaller.

Warmly recommended.

11. controler

controler Guest

NOT FREE !!!!!!!!!!!

but has anyone tried Registry First Aid?

con

12. TonyKlein

RegClean and RegCleaner are, though... ( !!!!!!!!!! ) :D

13. Phant0m

But I wouldn’t dare recommend Microsoft RegClean, it surely doesn’t support XP Systems even though it will run on WinXP Systems. And I wouldn’t dare use it now on any Windows Systems with Today’s Software, you’ll encounter problems. RegClean 4.1a (build 7364.1) I believe was the newest and it was dated with December 30, 1997. Microsoft doesn’t even support RegClean now, in-fact they deleted it from the default sharing location on their server. :D

14. TonyKlein

Well, in fact it does.

According to Peter Hipson, author of the authoritative "Mastering the Windows XP Registry", RegClean is fully compatible with WinXP, and in fact I've been using it from the start.

However, as with every Registry cleaner, it's extremely wise to hold on to the backups for some time indeed.

As for MS, I rather think they're just chicken... :D

Cheers,

15. Phant0m

16. TonyKlein

Yes, I know that article.

What I usually do is run RegClean before installing Ms Office, then again after, and save that last backup separately.

I still have it saved, and have never needed to re-merge it, as all MS Office components functions fine without the few keys and reg values RegClean removed.

I still find it the best Registry Cleaner available when it comes to removing orphans in HKCR.

17. Phant0m

It was quite good back in the old days, but I’ve done much comparisons and it’s not the case anymore and hasn’t been for some-time. And matter of fact it’s nothing but a problem with some of today’s Software.

18. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I'm not on XP or Wino2000 though, I'm using Win98SE ... heh

19. TonyKlein

Well, I can't help it but I'm partial to RC. It's still very good, and Peter Hipson's comments aren't anything to sneeze at either.
    He's a bona fide XP Registry guru, and I can assure you he certainly knows what he's talking about.

I haven't tried RegSeeker though, but I've heard good things about it. Will give it a whirl soon.

20. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    We think we may have the last free version of RegCleaner. It is V 4.3 build 780.
    Has anyone tried Registry Healer found at www.fixregistry.com ? It seems to be a nice program but we are not expert here. It also seems very similar to Registry Crawler.

21. Phant0m

Speak only for yourself :)

22. Phant0m

I’ve tested an earlier version of Registry Healer before; it’s not Freeware.
    I downloaded just few minutes ago Registry Healer v4.0.1.134 from the Official website and tested it again before basing my opinion about it, apparently it doesn’t add any additional levels to what I’m currently using for combination.

In-fact the program is buggy, and I know this because the Application terminated itself and generated error.

23. discogail

discogail Security Expert

With the permission of the author.....last freeware version of jv16 Power tools....
    Pricelessware jv16: http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#J109

24. jer03

jer03 Registered Member

What about XCleaner, Spider, and Internet Cleanup? Don't they do the same thing?

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.