Unrealistic image size

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mjhatfield, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjhatfield

mjhatfield Registered Member

I made an image of my C: drive (boot drive) using Acronis true image 9.0 build 3,633.
    7.43GB of data fit nicely on one DVD with 3.98GB of data compressed.
    When I made an image of my D: drive 3.12GB of data took two DVDs and used 6.87GB of space. I was careful to select only my D: drive in the process. I tried several times.
    I made the image of D: to my C: drive with the same results.
    When I mount the image that is saved on C: drive I see no extra files or data. (I could not mount the image that spand two DVDs.
    I had previously made a secure zone on my D: drive but removed it before this.
    I am running Windows XP home on an ASUS A8V motherboard and twin Seagate 80GB harddrives not in RAID.

2. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

If you have a lot of video files on your D: drive, and you requested any form of compression, the backup image could be twice the size. The reasoning behind this is that almost all video files are already compressed. Attempting to compress them some more usally results in larger output streams. I would recommend you not compress the data on your D: drive.

Storage_man

3. mjhatfield

mjhatfield Registered Member

Thank you. Work like a charm with no compression.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Wow, I knew that you could get increased file sizes trying to compress a compressed file, but nothing the size of what you experienced. Live and learn.

5. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Wow, I had no idea it could make that much difference. Looks like I am going to re-organize my video files to one location since they are all over the place right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.