quiet acpi=off noapic

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by akleo, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akleo

akleo Registered Member

Hi,

Anyone knows how to include the above statement into the bootable media? I need this for one of my PCs in the office to be able to boot up with the media to do backup and recovery.

Thanks and Regards,
    akleo

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This thing needs to be invoked in so many cases, it would be nice if it was a button choice on the recovery screen, incuding the bootcd startup screen.

Anyway, to do it the harder way, you boot from the bootcd and press f11 at the right moment (when the selection screen appears). Invoking this switch should be less like duct tape and maybe someday will be.

You can write to Acronic Tech and ask for a version with the switch built in.And then jsut repeat that every couple of months when an update comes out. ;)

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I've asked this before but I still don't have what I would consider a definitive answer. I don't pretend to understand the ramifications of this command on the overall operation of the PC when doing a rescue environment operation.

Why isn't it the default in the first place?

If any PC will still work during the backup/restore if this command is always issued, I can't see why it should be a problem since the APIC and whatever is returned to operational state when the PC restarts.

4. b00sfuk

b00sfuk Registered Member

I asked this of support a few months ago as it annoyed me as well. Why not just include those switches as default as it should not affect other users - their view and I quote was "acpi=off noapic parameter of Linux kernel cannot be set as default for all the users as in most cases disabling this parameter makes the software unfunctional. In your case the situation is vice versa. " o_O

Additionally even though the workaround can be used for the F11 secure zone boot and the CD (or get a fixed one from Acronis) there is no fix for when you want to recover the C partition from within Windows and it asks for a reboot (you cannot use F11 etc.).

Maybe one day.....

5. akleo

akleo Registered Member

I see. Yeah I do understand that they do have a new update every now and then so that will prove to be a hassle if I have to do this every time. I think I will write to Acronics Tech then. I think I need to do this because not all my colleagues are techies. The most they can do is recover and restore so best to automate all this kind of things for them.

Thanks anyway.

6. shieber

You can review the past threads on this switch and learn what it does, and that might give a clue why it is not the default.

Basically, the is really two scwitches: the "quiet" option suppresses the printing/display of some start-up messages that aren't necessary for most users.

The "acpi=off" and "noapic" skip the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) and APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) support.

I don't know why those are not the default settings except that one would guess that more harware works with them than without them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that I have already forwarded the request to add acpi=off noapic parameter to the selection screen in the rescue mode and this feature will be implemented in the future builds/versions of the software. I'm sorry, but the exact time-frame for that is not decided yet.

To akleo: As it was said above, you should submit a request for technical support in order to get a special version of the bootable rescue media. Please provide the information to your request along with the link to this thread. Please also provide the information confirming your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.). We will provide you with a special ISO image to create the bootable rescue media with the included acpi=off noapic parameter.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. b00sfuk

b00sfuk Registered Member

Tatyana, thanks for update. Can you make sure the update handles the situation where you want to restore a system partition from within Windows - i.e. when True Image itself requests a reboot it also needs the "acpi=off noapic" option (the system will just hang on booting for the restore)
    This is what I ment in my earlier post:

Additionally even though the workaround can be used for the F11 secure zone boot and the CD (or get a fixed one from Acronis) there is no fix for when you want to recover the C partition from within Windows and it asks for a reboot (you cannot use F11 etc.).

Thanks for listening.

9. shieber

Huzzah!

I thought an old-fashioned cheer was appropos for an old request ;-)

sh

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello b00sfuk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that if you want to restore the operating system within Windows and the program asks the reboot, there is no way to add quiet acpi=off noapic parameter. In the case if quiet acpi=off noapic parameter is required, we recommend you to use the botoable rescue media or F11 option.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.