MOUNTING questionns

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Azdon, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

I am trying to learn how this works. Here is the situation:
    I made a 'full disk image' archive, split into 6 volumes of 1.492 GB each so I could burn them onto 2 DVDs. Now I want to 'mount' these on my system and use explorer to see/restore some files. So I copied the 6 volumes to a folder on external USB HD.

Question #1: Is it correct that 'mounting' has to be done in 'windows'? I could not find a 'mounting' option booting from v 3666 rescue boot CD in 'full' mode.

Now I start mounting under TI9 in windows. I mount all six volumes one by one. Explorer shows me 6 new virtual drives (k-o)...all the same size, all with the same folders in them, and the same files in the folders.

Question #2: Am I missing something here?

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

How many logical volumes are in the "full disk image" that you backed up?
    What is the size of each of those volumes?
    Which of those volumes did you tell TI to back up?

When you mount virtual volumes from a TI backup, you have to tell Ti which tib file to use.

When you say that you copied "6 volumes", do you mean 6 separate backups, or 1 backup that happens to be divided into 6 tib files?

TI will inform you of what logical volumes are backed up, and offer to create virtual volumes for all if there are enough available drive letters.

3. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

The backup was made by telling TI to split the archivve into 1.492 GB TIB files. It made 6 TIB images of/for the backup image. Its one full backup consisting of 6 TIB files. I told TI to back up the entire disk, which contains 1 partition. When I mounted them, TI did not tell me what to mount. It showed me the 6 volumes and I had to select each one by itself and mount it. As I was mounting it did say...this is volume x of a 6 volume set, or something like that. TI did not offer to mount them all.

4. Howard Kaikow

That's the problem.

Each TIB is part of the same backup.

Just select one, and you will get a single virtual volume that correspondst to your single physical logical volume.

TI correctly created 6 identical volumes because you told it to do so.

5. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

You mean just select any one of the 6 volumes to mount and TI goes in and mounts all 6 volumes as 1 virtual disk? Does it matter which volume I select? Am I correct this needs to be done within windows only?

6. Howard Kaikow

u have only 1 volume.
    u asked ti to split the backup into 6 files, but there is only 1 volume.

read the user's guide.

7. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

Thanks for the help Howard. I have read the User Manual. They use the words 'archive' as a collection of 'volumes' which is the basis of my question. Since this 'archive' consists of 6 TIB 'volumes' does it matter which one I select to mount? There is no option where it says to select an 'archive'. It just shows the 6 volumes, or TIB files.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  8. Howard Kaikow

That's sloppy wording in the user's guide.

See, e.g., clause 3.1, where an archive is defined.

An archive is written over a collection of files and those files might not all be recorded on the same physical volume.

The user's guide needs to be reworked.

9. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

That may be true, however I tried to use the nomenclature that TI uses in order tto make my question as clear as possible. Bottom line, when you mount a partition image that is stored as several TIB files, selecting any one of the set grabs them all? I would guess that if I stored 5 of the 6 TIB files in the directory (leaving one out) the mount would fail. The problem really was that TI doesen't describe this either in the program or user manual for the case of mounting an image that has been spllit into several smaller parts...like ie saying..' mount the last TIB in the set, etc. I guess thats because each part, or volume, identifies itself and identifies the rest of the needed parts. Anyway, I appreciate the discussion and help in understanding how TI works. Someday I may need to actually restore something.

10. Howard Kaikow

Read the user's guide from the beginning.
    What you ned to know is in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.