TI 9 Home Ed. build 3666 Observations

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bruce Mahnke, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

TI 9 Home Edition, build 3666 Observations

Overview:
    Uninstalling build 3633 and following up with a cleanup (deletion) of remaining files and folders and a cleanup of the Registry, build 3666 was installed. A new Rescue CD was created for this build and additional files were added to the CD using Roxio Easy CD creator 6. These additions were the downloaded installation executable file with an MD5 checksum value of MD5:7963B45AF754F19E90B96613DF62EDAB and the latest User Guide.

Issues Identified:
    Two problem areas were noted both being associated with the Acronis task scheduler in the application. These are:
    A. If a task has been scheduled any attempt to 'Edit the selected task' results in receiving an error message "E00640065: Cannot resolve the source path." This did not occur with build 3633 and is very repeatable and has been reported by others. For me this is not a significant issue in that the scheduled task can be deleted and then re-created, but it is an issue.

B. Of a greater concern is that if a scheduled task has been created it appears to result in corrupted manually created images when validated using either Windows or the Rescue CD. As an example – I manually create and store several images on a second internal ATA hard drive (D:) with a single partition at a daily frequency that I select. All images are full backups of the C: drive using default options and no passwords. These are named with the convention of mmdd.tib where 0622.tib represents June 22. Additionally I have set up a scheduled backup with a file name of 9999.tib that gets over-written daily. This name simply puts it at the bottom of the list on the D: backup drive for my convenience.

What I have Observed:
    With reference to item B above, and with a scheduled task configured, manually creating images generally complete successfully. Having a task scheduled and then validating the manually created image(s) in either Windows or by using the Rescue CD consistantly presents the error message 'Error E00070020, the archive is corrupted'. Deleting the scheduled task 'seems' to resolve the matter. Obviously deleting a scheduled task is not a solution to the problem. If my observation is correct this should be a critical issue for Acronis.

Best regards,
    Bruce Mahnke

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

My experience is similar. Even if I create a new task in 3666 and jsut click thorugh all the default selctions, the created task cannot be edited.

Cuirously, I have one old task that is a basic template and that one can be opened in the editor. But all other tasks, old and even ones created new cannot. I haven't tried to complete an edit of this one apparently editable task for fear that if will become uneditable -- best to leave things alone until Task Editor is fixed.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  3. jbreit

jbreit Registered Member

I have the same issue regarding error E00640065. I've installed TI Build 3666 on two different Windows XP systems.

All IMAGE schedules (not files and folders) are NOT editable, once you have created them. Files and Folders schedules can be edited.

On one system the error E00640065 shows and it's not possible to edit the item. On the other system, first the error E006403FB that this script is from an earlier version occured. However, the script was just created with the fresh installed build 3666. After that the E00640065 shows. It's mixes. Some times one, some times the other error appears on that 2nd system.

Acronis - Please solve that issue. Thank you.

PS: I've used schedmgr.exe already, as described in another thread on this board and killed all taks using the relevant command in the schedmgr.exe window. The issue remains.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  4. shieber

I've tried this with 3666 installed on three different XP machines. ONe at home and two at work. All with the same results.

And yes, I just made a files and folders task and it was indeed editable afterwards but partition/disk images are not. So that confirms what you found.

5. jbreit

jbreit Registered Member

Honest question: Is there any alternative imaging software? I'm testing Acronis TI now since several builds. Every build has similar or brand new bugs again... Howver, I like that software somehow, but I'm starting to get annoyed by all that bugs and need some software that is lean and reliable.

6. shieber

I agree that it's the best among a field of problematic software. The worst problems seem to affect them all and some seem more willing to address probs than others. The biggest and most nagging probs are hardware related -- mainly DVD and USB -- the tons of hardware and software setups and dirth of standards are one reason the problems are so persistent.

Given that such probs are persistent I think they would be extra careful about the really avoidable bugs like incorrect help screens, task editors that won't edit, and other such things that they usually correct soon after they hear about them.

They apparently do not have a testing lab the size of, ay symantec. Bu then they won't treat one like insignificant garbage, which is how I felt with another company.

7. pengquadrat

pengquadrat Registered Member

Honestly, do you expect that at Symantec or other such companies there are working perfect programmers creating perfect programms without any errors?

Software like TrueImage is certainly very complex, as it has to cover xillions of hardware constellations, network and USB connections and other stuff I probably cannot even imagine.

Frequent updates indicate to me, that the product is not dead, that there is support and that the developers still care about the product and their customers.
    And the service provided in the forum here is quite good. They respond and always try to help.
    Where else do you find such a support nowadays?

Joachim

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

It would be interesting or perhaps just academic to know if this non editing of tasks problem is also happening with the workstation version of TI.

I say that because I wonder if they perhaps by mistake left in some of their debugging/disabling code in TI Home seeing as how they first either didn't put the correct upgrade on their server - in the rush to correct that mistake they may have put the 'wrong' compilation up.

Easily done if you code your test bits in with your live code - one #ifdef not commented out and whoopsy.

Colin

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

This is a very inappropriate question/topic for the Acronis Support forum. Such topics can be (and often have been in the past) discussed in the software & services section of Wilders.

10. shieber

Still, I think ATI canhold its own against the other contenders ;-)

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that the issue with the inability to edit scheduled tasks in build 3666 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home has already been fixed. The fix will be implemented in the next build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. I'm afraid that the exact time frame for the next build to be released is not decided yet. We are very sorry for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delay with the response.

Could you please describe the issue in more details?

- Are you able to create a successfully validating backup archive?

- Did you try saving backups to any other location (any other internal, external or network drives)? What are the results?

- Do backups validate as corrupted both from under Windows and when using Bootable Rescue CD?

- Do you have 'Validate backup archive upon it's creation completion option enabled' in the Backup Archive Creation Options? What happens if you disable it?

- Can you confirm that the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 creates corrupt backups only if the backup job is scheduled? What happens when you create backups manually?

- Did this problem appear after you installed build 3666? Have you experienced same\similar problems using previous builds of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home?

- Describe the workaround you have discovered in more details;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

13. jbreit

jbreit Registered Member

You are absolutely right. Sorry, to ask that question here in that specific part of your forum.

And it's absolutely true, that Acronis Support is doing an outstanding job here, compared to many other software developers.

Thanks, Acronis Support Team! I'll watch out for the next releases.

Regards,
    J.

14. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Hello Alexey,

In response to your questions:

Could you please describe the issue in more details?

- Are you able to create a successfully validating backup archive?
    Yes, most of the time.

- Did you try saving backups to any other location (any other internal, external or network drives)? What are the results?
    Yes I have. A third internal PATA hard drive. No problem detected but only one trial performed.

- Do backups validate as corrupted both from under Windows and when using Bootable Rescue CD?
    Yes, but not consistantly one or the other.

- Do you have 'Validate backup archive upon it's creation completion option enabled' in the Backup Archive Creation Options? What happens if you disable it?
    Has never been enabled.

- Can you confirm that the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 creates corrupt backups only if the backup job is scheduled?
    The file created by a scheduled task validates successfully.

What happens when you create backups manually?
    This is the issue. Having a task scheduled and letting it run at its scheduled time works correctly and validates successfully. Then leaving that task scheduled to run again the next day at the scheduled time and manually creating a second backup file with a different name, this second file may or may not validate successfully in Windows or by using the rescue CD. Validating a corrupt file a second time has in some cases shown it to be successful.

- Did this problem appear after you installed build 3666?
    Yes.

Have you experienced same\similar problems using previous builds of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home?
    No not this issue at all. There were some error message reported with early builds of TI9 but these were corrected/not observed in later builds.

- Describe the workaround you have discovered in more details;
    I find that if a task is not scheduled, manually created backups complete correctly and validate successfully. It appears that a conflict exists in the TI9 task scheduler between scheduled events and manually run backups. The failure however is not consistantly observed.

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

I have tried to answer what I can at this time. Admittedly more time will be required because of the lengthy process of creating images and validating them both in Windows and via the rescue CD.

When an image file fails in validating the consistant error message 'Error E00070020, the archive is corrupted' is received.

I have run the checkdisk utility (chkdsk c: /f) and MemTest 86+ with no problems identified.

6/30/2006 Followup:
    In the opening posting I made reference to consistantly presents the error message 'Error E00070020, the archive is corrupted'. This was very definitely true. Deleting the scheduled task and then re-creating it with the same file name seems to have helped. The error message appears to no longer be consistant but rather occurs on a random basis. I’m still seeing an issue here.

7/2/2006 Followup:
    The issue with not being able to edit a scheduled task has been resolved with build 3677.

Having build 3677 installed I have made a few backup images, both manually run and scheduled. So far all image files have completed correctly and validated successfully. I am not saying that build 3677 fixed this issue. This is an initial observation as more time will be required to confirm that its working correctly.

Best regards,
    Bruce Mahnke

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  15. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

I just noticed the exact same problem in build 3677. I imaged to an external USB drive manually while there was already a weekly task scheduled and the image would not verify (same error as noted above). I did the verify later the next day manually and it failed. I am currently testing this once more only this time I am going to image to another internal hard disk. If that fails to verify I will delete the existing task and try again.

Also I just noticed while doing a manual image backup there is a balloon in the taskbar stating: Scheduled task started. I can't remember if it always used to say this or not. Since I started the process manually you would think that it would say: Manual task started.

Edit: I just got done verifying the image this time and it worked! I'll have to try it again to the usb drive and see what happens.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.