Kerio Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Maged, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maged

Maged Guest

Hi

"BlitzenZeus". can u plz tell us what windows version you r running kerio 2.1.5 on ? - I was using this software and liked it so much really coz it was so stable and uses almost no resourse (on Windows 2000 Pro SP3) but since i use XP Pro SP1 as my primary OS, I found that Kerio is causing random Windows explorer crashes + when establishing a connection after resuming from a hibernation, No data is sent or received out (i.e. i have 2 restart the PC each time i need to connect to the internet and that i never have to use the Hibernation feature which is so imp. to me)

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I'm not having any problems of the sort. I've ran it on 98se, XP Pro w/out sp1, and currently XP Pro w/sp1. So something on your system is making Kerio unstable, and probably making the other programs unstable.

The hibneration issue is known, and its caused by the drivers of the hardware you have. On my system I can enter standby, or hibernate, then come back out to have Kerio working just as it did before, without any problems. Its a hit, and miss problem... At times its been linked to certain network cards, but don't waste any money on getting a new one.

I hate to say it, but try 4x, after you disable the simple settings the packet filter works like in 2x, but there are still problems with it. Including many have reported the hibernation problem in 4x also as a hit, and miss problem. Currently even though it s 4.0.3 its still deep in beta stages as far as quality of the software goes.

You might want to try out some other firewalls, Tiny 5.0 is nice, but has a very steep learning curve when it comes to its sandboxing. However it is rule based so that won't be hard to adjust to.

3. Maged

Maged Guest

Hi

Actually everything is fine here on my XP Pro SP1 except that kerio is really bit unstable for unknown reasons. I am bit advanced user and i really know and mean literally that my system is stable as i always keep it clean, do not install any software without being monitored (so that i can return the system 2 the exact condition b4 the installtion has proceded)...etc.

But the most thing which i didn't like at all is my inabilty to use the net ater resuming from hibernation coz if i am planning to connect to the net, i have to shut my PC normally and do not hibernate :'(

But regarding the hardware drivers, what could be the driver which may cause this problem o_O

PS This problem do not exist with ZoneAlarm Pro or look N Stop i.e. after i hibernate and then resume again, i connect and i can receive and transmit data but no data is received or transmitted if that firewall was Kerio (very strange) - I wish i can find a solution to this problem coz lookNStop leaks my memory and ZoneAlarm is not as simple as Kerio at all + it consumes lots of resources

Regarding Kerio 4.0.3, i installed it yesterday but after using it i discovered that it makes my PC's response so slowly i.e. the whole matter seems to be as if i am swimming in a swimming pool full of honey !!! - after uninstalling it, the system returned so normal and quicker as b4 :D but i still have no clue why i am not lucky with kerio :'(

PS have u installed the latest patches from Microsoft which covers the Blaster worm issue o_O - can these patches are causing the problem with kerioo_O - I can't unistall these patches coz i deleted the backups as i wasn't intending to uninstall 'am at all

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

“coz lookNStop leaks my memory”, care to explain what you mean?

5. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

The microsoft patches have nothing to do to with it.

From what I have seen it might be certain network card drivers, but it would be better to ask the Kerio developers, that is if they even answer back. Considering the problem still exists in 4x for some people I don't think they know how to really fix the problem, and they won't be updating 2x anytime soon...

6. maged

maged Guest

In reply to "Phant0m"

When XP boots up and i am not connected yet, LookNStop was consuming about 8MB (and this is a normal consumption )

(PS i know this using the System information's memory tool of Norton Utilites 2002)

After using the net for a while and then coming back to see each program's quota of memory, i found that LookNStop jumped to 13.7 MB!

After some other time. i have seen it taking 19.2 MB !!!

I am not sure what can be making it do this but i guess the whole matter may be related to my machine and i really don't want to offend the program but i don't know why this happens

e.g. My old firewall - ZoneAlarm - which i am still keeping it installed (BUT I DO NOT USE IT AT ALL WITH LOOKNSTOP i.e. the trueVector of Zone Alarm is disabled and not even running) is consuming just around 8 MB all the time :blink:

7. Phant0m

I’m not absolute to why you experiencing this anomaly but indeed its specific to you, of everyone who used or uses Look ‘n’ Stop Personal Firewall, you’re the first I ever saw to say anything of the sort. Maybe it’s because you using two or more Software Firewalls at the same time, but I can ensure you I’m running Windows XP PRO and I always monitor Mem usage & Peak Mem usage and Peak Mem usage never goes beyond 7MB.

8. Maged

Maged Guest

Re:Next looknstop version

yes i think it's my own problem but i did never ran zonealarm in presence of LooknStop

9. Phant0m

Re:Next looknstop version

Hey Maged

Was ZoneAlarm’s Drivers stopped from booting up with Windows? If not than that’s most likely why…

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Maged,

It's actually a good idea to only have one firewall application installed at one time on a Windows system.

While it sounds like just having one disabled wouldn't hurt another one running on your system, often that is not the case. Some firewall apps insert themselves pretty deeply into Windows, and may still have modules loading with Windows even when their processes are stopped.

Many firewall vendors will recommend completely removing all other firewall apps prior to even installing their's. While some people say they have multiple installed and it works just fine, that is not a guarantee that you won't have problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.