Resize to larger drive during restore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NukeDude66, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NukeDude66

NukeDude66 Registered Member

Can TrueImage v9x restore to a larger Hard Drive than the one it imaged from? In other words, If I image a latop (40 GB drive) then restore to same laptop with a larger drive (80 GB) will the result be an 80 GB partition or will it format the drive to the original 40 GB?

2. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

Just in case it might help, I know that TI-8 can restore to a larger hard drive than the one it imaged from. The result when I imaged an 80 gig drive and restored to a 120 gig drive was 80 gigs restored and 37 gigs unallocated free space. I suspect that v9 works the same way.

One can combine the free space with the restored partition later using partitioning software and end up with the entire drive used. Or just make a new partition of the 37 gig free space.

Skyhawk

3. NukeDude66

NukeDude66 Registered Member

Yea, I was afraid of that. What I need is a tool to upgrade customers HDD without going through all that hassle. Ghost works if you remove both drives and do a disk to disk image but I was hoping to find a solution that can automatically resize to a larger drive while doing the image over.

The search goes on...and on...

4. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hello,

From the User's Guide of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server.

So 9.1 can do this.

BTW, if you would like to upgrade the drive to the bigger one I would recommend that you use Clone instead of Backup. I think it is faster and easier. However, backup and then restore also works.

Kento.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Or there is this way. I call it re-sizing for dummies because I use it myself! Open TI and then the secure zone manager. Create a secure zone in the unallocated space. Then using the same manager delete the secure zone and part of this process will allow the newly released space to be allocated to the main drive. Only takes a few minutes and works every time.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.