Acronis won't resize partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by indigoboy, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indigoboy

indigoboy Registered Member

During cloning of HD Acronis would not allow custom resizing of partition on destination drive larger than source HD and did not resize automatically during the cloning process resulting in 2/3 of destination drive as unallocated space.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello indigoboy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe the issue in more details: what is the exact name of the product that you use? You can find this information in the Help -> About dialog (it should be a 3 or 4 digit number). Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this issue. Did you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. Chris99

Chris99 Registered Member

4. djxtreme

djxtreme Registered Member

I too have this problem, and it appears to be a feature of TI. Version 9, build 9.633. When cloning, the source and destination drive show drive C (primary) with a red circle with a white X in the center. Neither in manual nor in automatic mode is partition C sizeable. I tried allocating space before and after, but it cannot be resized.

Why is there a white X in a red circle? The help icon doesn't give any explanation whatsoever.

My destination drive is 3x larger than the source and is new.

Note, I read the related post about using a secure zone, however that should not be necessary unless this is a clearly noted bug in the program. (But if it's a bug, then why does it have that 'X' that appears to be there intentionally?)

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello djxtreme,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3666.

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

You can also create the new bootable rescue media with the latest build, boot your computer from it and clone your hard drive in rescue mode.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep both source and destination hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. djxtreme

I noticed this issue is with BOTH home edition as well as workstation edition. It forces the primary partition to be the same small size as the original.

Is this issue fixed in the latest build 3666? If not, please let me know so I don't waste time for nothing.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  7. djxtreme

OK - I did it anyway as you requested - and it DID waste my time! The same problem exists with the current version update of both HOME and WS editions.

The destination drive primary partition cannot be resized at all - it is identical size of the source/origin drive's primary partition.

This is not a problem faced by just myself - several others have pointed this out as well in the past couple days.

What is to be done about it?

8. djxtreme

I tried the LIVE CHAT and asked why there is a red circle with a white X in it, and the primary partition cannot be resized on the destination drive when disk cloning.

I was informed that LIVE CHAT is not for support - only sales. However they did suggest the red circle with white X meant a problem with the drive.

I then asked for a tech. support number and was directed to a webpage where I can pay $16. to find out why there is a problem with the software.

After the chat session, I ran the disk check tool from Windows, rebooted and ran it again, and no problems found. And the destination drive is new anyway so should be problem free.

So not only did I pay for version 7, 8, 9 Home, 9 WS upgrade and Universal Restore, they also want me to pay to help fix the bugs in the software.

After wasting 2 days with this UNDOCUMENTED problem and indiferent responses from Acronis, I am seriously considering taking my business elsewhere. I should be getting paid to use their software, not me paying to use it, then pay MORE to get support that should be free with buggy software.

Mind you, if this problem was documented anywhere, I don't think I'd have the right to complain, but as it is not, it's wrong to charge me to fix it or force me to wait days for a reasonable accurate response!

9. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

The issue is not a bug with TrueImage.
    The "red circle with white X" indicates there is a problem with the file structure of the partition.
    Chkdsk is not always able to fix file structure problems (there is a Microsoft KB article which confirms this for NTFS file structures). Chkdsk will not always report such problems.
    I have such a case which prevents me from changing the size of a partition when cloning to another disk. Creation of a .tib also results in an image which is very large due to all sectors being output to the .tib, not just the inuse sectors.
    I also have the same issue with PartitionMagic 8 - it won't allow me to change the partition size.
    I have not discovered any product or way to help overcome the problem. It appears that it will be necessary to create a new partition and reinstall all software, data, etc. Although since I've lived with the problem for the last year or so I guess I'll wait until Microsoft Vista introduces its new file system and bite the bullet then.

10. djxtreme

This happened with 2x drives. Full disk scans reported the drives had no problems.

If creating a recovery partition then later reassigning recovery space to the primary partition works, then obviously the software has the capability of allocating more space to the partition. But having to go through these extra steps shows there is a problem with the software, as it is obviously a round-about way of doing things.

In MYHO this is a serious bug that costs users a great deal of time and unnecessary opportunities to mess things up.

In the meantime, if Acronis can't patch the problem then I suggest they GIVE DiskKeeper to licensed users at no cost. I'm sure their product DiskKeeper would fix any disc discrepancies...wouldn't it?

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

When I had the red circle problem CHKDSK was no help indeed it did not even run or give any message. So I tried WD's Data life guard and it reported errors and offered to fix them. This would destroy the data but as the disk was not useable I gave it a try. The result was " Too many bad sectors failed".
    My next step,after picking it out of the bin, was to put it in my computer in place of the main drive and restore a whole disk image to it. Surprise, the format that TI gave it as part of the restore process kicked started the disk back to life! It now passes all tests thrown at it .
    There is possibly a common factor. My disk had been exposed to Windows disk management which for some reason had not touched the system partition which I then deleted using Partition Magic 8. It was after that that I first saw the red circle white cross.

Xpilot

12. tachyon42

No - I have the current version of Diskeeper and it doesn't fix my problem.

13. tachyon42

I have no idea what caused my NTFS file structure problem for which TrueImage displays the 'red circle white cross'. I first noticed problems when Partition Magic 8 started giving errors. This was before I purchased TrueImage - in fact I bought TrueImage to see if it could help solve the problem. Unfortunately it did not; nor did my subsequent purchase of Diskeeper.

I also have had problems with WD Diagnostics. Sometime ago the diagnostics would not execute for one disk I have (not the one with the 'red circle white cross' issue). I also couldn't format the disk using MS format utility. The disk appeared totally unusable. However it was resurrected by SpinRite 6, all data was recovered except for a sector or two. I just restored the affected files from a backup disk and the resurrected disk continues in regular use today without any problem.

Conclusion:
    TrueImage did not cause my 'red circle white cross' problem, it is just reporting that there is some file system structure corruption.
    Various utilities such as TrueImage, PartitionMagic, Diskeeper, Disk Manufacturer Diagnostics, SpinRite, Chkdsk, etc all have their place in maintaining a healthy computer system. Unfortunately, sometimes they just don't solve a particular problem. In which case, given no other solution is apparent, it becomes necessary to just recover whatever data is available and rebuild the system. Not an enjoyable task!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.