No drive letter when mounting a TI image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by drhanso, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drhanso

drhanso Registered Member

Hi,

when I try to mount a freshly made backup image (with TI9 Server eval build 3.641) then the process will fail with 'can't assign drive letter'. Is there a trick?

-Hans

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Hans,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please be aware that in order to mount an image archive spanned over a several CDs\DVDs you should copy all files from all discs to one folder on your hard drive and only after that start a mounting process using the embedded Mount Image tool.

Please also note that even if you do not have the ability to copy all files from all discs to one separate folder on your hard drive (e.g. there is no free space), you still can restore individual files and folders from the image archive spanned over a several CDs\DVDs using the 'Recovery' wizard. In this case you should insert the last created CD\DVDs first (CD\DVD that contains the last volume of the image archive) and then follow the wizard's instructions (see section 6.2 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows User's Guide for further details).

If all volumes of the image archive you try to mount reside in one folder on your hard drive but you still can not mount this image as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Mount Image tool then please validate this image by means of the Validate Backup Archive tool.

If the image archive verifies as corrupted then I'm afraid it can not be mounted as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Mount Image tool.

If the image archive can be successfully verified by means of the Validate Backup Archive tool then please check if there are any service\recovery partitions (e.g. EISA partitions for Dell computers or alike) contained in the image archive you try to mount. If any, please select the 'Do not mount' option for them.

If that does not help then please run "regedit" command and see the data lines of the below registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

The data line should be as follows: PartMgr snapman

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

The data line should be as follows: VolSnap snapman timounter

If the data lines in your registry keys are different then please modify them to correspond with those I mentioned above.

If that does not help either then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Let us know where you store the image you try to mount;

- Make a screen shot of the latest screen of the Mount Image wizard which contains the operation scenario (see the example here).

Please also do the following:

- Download SetupApiLog.zip, unpack it and run in order to add the information to the Windows registry;

- Delete \Windows\setupapi.log and reboot the computer;

- Reproduce the problem and collect the setupapi.log file created;

- Let us know whether there is a delay after hitting Proceed and getting the error message.

Then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. drhanso

drhanso Registered Member

Alexej,

the entry 'volsnap' was missing from key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

So I manually entered it as you suggested and it seemed to work (I could access the mounted image). Then Windows pops up a message 'new hardware found' and then the software install dialog comes up 'Standardvolume' (German system) and it is trying to install volsnap.sys into drivers. Then the process hangs.

Upon (forced, of course) restart the server won't boot any more, it will stall at the screen where the 1st 'W2003 Server' logo appears. This is reproducible, every time.

I'm glad I could restore my server partition while booted from my ATI8 restore CD. Hm, to me it looks that the 'regular' ATI is working well but I only had trouble with ATI server.

What can I do?

-Hans

4. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Hans,

The VolSnap Upper Filter is not needed to mount an image in W2k3 Server. It doesn't appear in my system either. Your problem is elswhere.

I suggest you follow up with the system information Alexey requested in the hopes that Acronis can use it to make image mounting work a in wider range of systems.

mustang

5. angbob

angbob Registered Member

I made an image backup with TI 10 trial yesterday.

The disk has two partitions. I backed up to a separate disk.

When I tried to mount the image, there appeared the message about assigning letters, and after a while there appeared a failure message.

Then I mounted each partition separately, successfully.

Today, I tried mounting the image again, and it worked; i.e. TI assigned a letter to each partition, and the pseudo-devices are browsable. I didn't need to mount each partition separately.

(The autorun window pops up, asking me what to run, for each partition. Maybe this isn't an Acronis issue.)

Regards,
    Bob DiGrazia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.