NOD32 And Spyware Software

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Graystoke, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Since I am a fairly new user of NOD32, I'm not too sure about NOD's spyware detection. Some AV software, KAV, NAV, Trend Micro, etc, have spyware detection modules one can enable. NOD32 doesn't give the user those options.

I have Spybot S&D, and AdAware free installed. I have tried CounterSpy and now Windows Defender. Both seem to slowdown my computer at intitialial startup after being turned off over night. Restarts are not a problem.

Using NOD32, would my computer be safe from spyware without running Counterspy, Windows Defender, or any other real time monitor type antispyware software? Is running SpyBot with teatimer enabled be good enough? Is NOD32 with Spybot and AdAware in the background ok? Is any real time spyware software necessary when running NOD32?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions. I'm just trying to familiar myself with the way NOD protects my compurter.

PS....My OS is XP Home/SP2.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

NOD32 is very new to the Spyware game, though they are aggressively penetrating this area of the market, and it won’t be too long before they are in the top of the field

I run Online Armor alongside NOD32 which I am very very impressed with.

Cheers :D

3. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Not entirely true; check in AMON setup: "Options" for "Adware/Spyware/Riskware" and also "Potentially dangerous applications". Also enable these under IMON's setup: "Miscellaneous" and under it "Setup" (for the same options mentioned for the AMON module).

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , you are protected with NOD32 . < See my signature >
    NOD32 detects all kind of malicious software and will disagree with Blackspear . NOD32 is excellent .

Make sure your NOD32 is correctly configured
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

Also , make sure you use a firewall and your Windows (and softwares) are always up-to-date.

[MOVE]NOD32[/MOVE]

5. Graystoke

I do have NOD set up according to Blackspear's Extra Settings, and all software including Windows and firewall are up-to-date.

I enabled Potentially Dangerous Applications when I was setting up NOD. I guess I should have took a little more time to notice the Adware/Spyware/Riskware options. :oops:

Thanks Blackspear, that is good to know.

I will check out Online Armor.

Thanks everyone for replying to my questions. It's very much appreciated. In the month or so that I have been using NOD32, I am really liking it. I guess I just needed some reassurance that I was in safe hands with NOD when it came to spyware. :)

6. Blackspear

I certainly wouldn't go Four Wheel Driving across the internet with NOD32 as my only source of protection; reckon I would have more of a chance swimming through a swap full of croc's with a dead chook strapped to my back :blink: ;) :D

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I always setup computers with Spybot..keep it updated, and each time you update, you should re-immunize again. I'm not a fan of it's teatime protection. The SDHelper is fine though.

SpywareBlaster is another good "protection" program...helps protect IE and Firefox...without a performance hit.

I haven't noticed Defender giving a performance hit..agree Counterspy does though.

My personal opinion? Asking "Am I safe" is impossible to answer. What's "safe" for one person may not apply to another person. Your safety factor depends on "What you do" with your computer..where you surf, what you download, etc etc.

NOD32 is getting good against the ad/spyware...but if you tread dangerous waters..no matter what antivirus you use, nothing wrong with beefing up with a few additional apps like Spybot and SpywareBlaster.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Blackspear , NOD32 is excellent . I am sure you know that it detects so much non-viral malware , their files and this way it protects very well .

I can't confirm that NOD32 is excellent spyware cleaner because spywares have touched the registry - a place NOD32 ^cannot touch^ . But about non-viral protection - I can guarantee (if it matters) that everyone is protected .

And the most important :

To make a computer more secure you need 7 basic things (note step6)

1) Firewall
    2) Updated operating system and softwares
    3) Antivirus software
    4) Antispyware software
    5) Updated , working and always ON security softwares
    6) Careful user who knows and realize the pottential risk
    7) Use only legal and genuie products !!! Use genuie Microsoft products !

You can't open every email , you can't visit every site or install everything you see and then blame the AV/AS :)

9. YeOldeStonecat

I'd add a point 8 there..."Never leave the local Administrator password <blank>." Lots of malware can install assuming it's left blank.

10. Graystoke

I forgot to mention that I also have SpywareBlaster installed. My surfing habits are pretty safe. I don't stray too far away from safe places. As a matter of fact, I probably spend way too much time at Wilders. :D

Ok, I give up. What is a dead chook? o_O Or a live one for that matter? :D

Is this the way you feel about any AV in general, or only in the case of NOD32?

11. YeOldeStonecat

You sound very low risk then....I'd not lose much sleep over it.

12. Blackspear

Chook = Chicken

Not just NOD32, ALL Antivirus products at this point in time, none have been in the game long enough to yet compete effectively with such like of Counterspy, but a few such as NOD32 are getting there.

You can see the Fortress de Blackspear HERE

13. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Add point 9... Set up all users as non-administrators. If everyone did this it would save everyone so much grief!

14. YeOldeStonecat

For some brutal users...yeah, it's a decent solution. For most users though..the biggest inconvenience in the world..pain in the butt. Most of my business clients can't even do that..due to the software they run.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I cant run as non admin cos of sony's soncistage i use for my music and i play games and they normaly need admin stuff to run em

so im just careful

16. IceDogg

IceDogg Registered Member

So lets assume that I can't run as Non-admin, or just don't for sake or arguing, setting a password for my admin account disallows software to install?? Can someone please direct me to more info on this. I never heard this before. But I am learning and new to this, somewhat.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

oh btw people coulds try spysweeper instead of online armour but both are good

18. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

19. marcromero

marcromero Guest

In my current setup I only run NOD32 tweaked out, but if I were to use an antispyware, it would be SUPERantispyware for detection/cleaning/removal.

Marc

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so do you mean set a password for all admins?

21. pykko

pykko Registered Member

no antispyware for on-access here. Just NOD32. I have ad-aware free but I even forgot the last time I've used it. :p

22. IceDogg

IceDogg Registered Member

Ok thanks. So this is more for people that use File and print sharing service?

Sorry If I'm off topic. Learning this as best I can, please forgive.

23. YeOldeStonecat

No..related to a "run-as" command. Access to the operating system. Regardless of if you're logged under an administrative account, or a limited account.

My opinion? (and I take care of a LOT of NOD32 users)...it's growing in effectiveness against ad/spyware..certainly. However..I'll agree with BS...by itself, it's not the end all...for higher risk users..I'd advice to also use Spybot, Spywareblaster, an alternative browser. I've seen some higher risk users still get hit by some annoying little pests...and I've run across plenty of already infected systems, that another AV was supposed to be protecting...that needed lots of manual cleaning because NOD (and I doubt any other AV..even KAV) didn't clean by itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.