TI 9.0.3567 Installation glitches

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MKairys, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

I can't really call these "problems" but at least one item is noteworthy...

1. 3567 (and possibly earlier versions) won't install over a previous "current user" installation.

I installed the previous version for the "current user", mostly so the startup entries for the various Acronis processes would go in HKCU/.../Run rather than HKLM/.../Run. The 3567 installation informed me that because of this, it couldn't automatically uninstall the previous version and I had to quit the installation and do it manually.

2. Attempt to change installation directory only partly successful.

I told the installation to use Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage rather than TrueImageHome, as I had shortcuts in various places using the previous path. The TI executable and about half the total files were put in TrueImage as I requested but the other half of the files was put in TrueImageHome anyway. This didn't appear to have any ill effect but I found it curious.

3. .tis file association damaged and not repaired

This proved to be a problem for me, because I run TI jobs from my own scripts by invoking .tis script files via their file association, and I found this had stopped working. I don't know whether it was entirely the fault of the 3567 installer or if the previous version uninstaller is also to blame, because I only looked into the registry after the installation was done, but I found the file association was present but incomplete - tisfile/Shell/Open/Command had no value.

The file association is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation and it may be that Acronis does not consider it a valid way to invoke TI jobs, but if so it should be entirely removed from the Registry, not just damaged.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MKairys,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

1. Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem?

- What build number did you install 3567 over?

- What operating system do you use?

- When exactly did you receive a message stating that the previous Acronis True Image installation can not be removed automatically?

2. This problem has already been fixed. The fix will be implemented in the future builds of a particular product.

3. Actually, launching ".tis" files should work as before. Please uninstall Acronis True Image 9.0 Home manually as it is described in this previous post of mine. Re-install the application then and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also do the following:

- Go to Start -> Run and issue "regedit" command;

- Find the following registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile

- Right-click on it and choose Export;

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. MKairys

- What build number did you install 3567 over?

- What operating system do you use?

Xp Pro SP2

- When exactly did you receive a message stating that the previous Acronis True Image installation can not be removed automatically?

As soon as I invoked the installer I got the attached dialog.

Actually, launching ".tis" files should work as before.

Here is what I did: I exported the tisfile key:
    Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile]
    @="Acronis True Image Script"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Acronis\\TrueImage\\TrueImageService.exe,1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile\Shell\open]
    @="&Execute Task Script"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile\Shell\open\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Acronis\\TrueImage\\TrueImageService.exe\" /script:\"%1\""

... then I uninstalled build 3567 and verified that .tis and tisfile keys were completely removed; The I reinstalled and exported the tisfile key:
    Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile]
    @="Acronis True Image Script"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Acronis\\TrueImage\\TrueImageService.exe,1"

Note that it is missing the Shell key entirely.

Attached Files:

• ti.jpg
      ti.jpg
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Acronis Support

Hello MKairys,

Could you please clarify the issue with the tisfile registry key once more? I'm asking this because the first tisfile registry key export you have provided appears to be the correct one. At the same time you say that you uninstalled build 3567 then. Does this mean that you was able to fix the problem in some way?

If that's not the case then can you confirm that the second tisfile registry key export was made after you completely uninstalled the software, made sure that the tisfile registry key was removed and only after that installed build 3567? What happens when you try to open .tis files?

As for the issue with the inability to install build 3567 over build 2337 because the latter was installed for some particular user only, please note that as build 3567 is based on the completely new software "engine" we do not exclude the possibility of such problems arising. However, we do not expect any problems with installing future Acronis True Image 9.0 Home builds over the build 3567. We therefore recommend you to wait for the next build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to be released, install it over build 3567 in same way you were installing build 3567 over 2337 and let us know if the problem appears again. We will certainly investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. MKairys

Could you please clarify the issue with the tisfile registry key once more?

Sorry, I will try to be clear.

The first registry export was made before uninstalling build 2337. After uninstalling I made sure there was no tisfile or .tis key remaining.

The second registry export was made after installing build 3567. With that key in place I cannot open .tis files; I get the "windows cannot open this file" dialog.

I fixed the problem by importing the tisfile key from the first export, after verifying that the path to TrueImageService.exe was still correct.

We therefore recommend you to wait for the next build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to be released, install it over build 3567 in same way you were installing build 3567 over 2337 and let us know if the problem appears again.

Okay, will do.

6. Acronis Support

Hello MKairys,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

It looks like this issue requires a deeper investigation, especially since we have not heard about such problems of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home build 3567 before.

Could you please do the following?

- Completely uninstall build 3567;

- Create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Launch Acronis True Image 9.0 Home build 3567 installation file;

- Right-click on the "Install Acronis True Image" button and select "Extract";

- Select the path for extracting the component and click "Save";

- Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command:

msiexec /i msi-name /l*v log-name

Where msi-name is the name of the file you extracted in steps 2-3 and log-name is the path and the name to the log file you want to save the output to.

- Collect the log file created during the installation;

- Create Windows System Information once more and rename .NFO files created to sysinfo_before.NFO and sysinfo_after.NFO;

- Export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile registry key.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.