Making Windows Vista (build 5308) work.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Xero, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xero

Xero Registered Member

Hello, I have been using Acronis Disk Director 10 to create a seperate partition on my main Hard Drive to install windows vista, I have noticed that there have been multiple posts asking if the Acronis OS Selector works with Vista. The answer is that it does not. There is still a way to make windows vista work on dual-boot. Here is what I did:

1) Create partition on your main hard drive that already is running Windows XP (Usualy "Local Disk (C:)") with the Acronis Bootable media disk.
    2) Boot back into windows XP, remove your Acronis boot disk and insert your Windows Vista DVD, follow the Vista installation instructions and install with the "Custom" mode selected, NOT the "Upgrade" mode, this will let you select the partition that you wish to install to.
    3) Select the partition that you just created and install to it.
    4) Don't be alarmed if Vista restarts your computer multiple times during installation.
    5) After awile if you have done everything corectly you should be able to get to the Main vista instalation. After your done installing, every time you restart your computer there should be an option to select what operating system that you want to run. The options are interesting though... One is labeled "Microsoft Windows" (Vista) and the other is labeled like "Legacy 'Prelonghorn' blah blah" (XP).
    6) Simply select the OS you want to run, and have fun :)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Xero,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, actually Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 was not tested with Windows Vista. That is why we cannot say that it supports this operating system or not.

However, sharing your experience is very much appreciated.

If you have any further experience to share, please feel free to post it on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  3. Xero

Xero Registered Member

If you feel so inclined, could you please pin, (make it an announcment) this topic? or like... put it in the FAQ... so that people don't have to search through the forum to find it?

4. ClickCardo

ClickCardo Registered Member

I purchased the download version and do not have the Acronis Bootable Media Disk you mention. At lease that I know of. Can you give me any ideas how to make this work in my situation? Also, I have already partitioned the boot drive into a primary for XP and a Logical that at the moment only has data. I had intended to use the logical to install Vista Beta 2.

Thanks for your helpful post.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ClickCardo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

You can create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media by means of Acronis Media Builder embedded into Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 installed under Windows. The detailed information regarding this procedure can be found in Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide.

I'm afraid that we cannot provide you with the instructions on how to install Windows Vista at the moment since it is not supported by any Acronis Software yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.