Acronis True Image to DVD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by APK, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APK

APK Registered Member

Can Acronis True Image 9 backup full drive image to DVD-R, DVD+R, or
    DVD-RW discs with InCD? (directly, not the two step method).

When I place a DVD-R or DVD+R disc in the drive, when prompted during a backup, the Acronis True Image 9 just sits there.

Thanks

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello APK,

In order to image "direct" to DVD the disks need to be preformatted via the UDF packet writing software of choice, which in your case is Nero InCD. However, InCD doesn't format DVD-R or DVD+R media. As far as I'm aware, Roxio's Drag-to-Disk is the only packet writer that can "format" DVD+R disks for use with True Image (it's not formatting in the normal accepted sense as that's impossible with write-once media).

Regards

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  3. APK

APK Registered Member

I have seen Roxio mentioned as an option. Does Roxio allow True Image to write directly to the DVD-R or DVD+R media (step 1 method) or is it the process that I have read about writing the image to a hard drive then burning that file to the DVD (two step method), which I should be able to do with Nero.

4. Menorcaman

Roxio's UDF packet writer is Drag-to-Disk that can be used to preformat DVD+R (not -R), DVD+RW and DVD-RW, thereby enabling TI to image "direct" (one step method) to those types of disks.

Regards

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Menorcaman~ Would you happen to know if a UDF Packet-Writer is still a requirement (for TI writing to optical disk) on the new Corp Workstation version v9.1 and/or the soon-to-be-released Home Version? ~pv

6. Menorcaman

Hi pvsurfer,

Just finished downloading the User's Guide for TI 9.1 CW (damn server is really slow at the moment!!) and it states:

It's a fair bet that this will also be the case for the revamped version of TI 9.0 Home.

Regards

7. aoz

aoz Registered Member

to PVsurfer -
    rather than fool with the UDF stuff, why not bck up to an external USB drive (using file sizes of 4.7 g for DVD), then burn these to DVD?
    that way, if backup goes beyond 1 dvd, you don't have to babysit the machine during bakup, and can burn the dvd's at your leisure.
    better yet, keep the backups on the external drive.

anyway, just my two cents.
    Nick

8. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

I have been using Knoppix to access my share where the split images are located and then using the following command to burn directly to DVD-R without preformating anything (works great).

Code:
    growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dao -dvd-compat -J -R -Z /dev/dvdrom *.tib
    This assumes you are in a directory that contains only the archives you wish to place on the DVD. It also assumes the backup doesn't span DVD's. There is a way to span the DVD's but that's a whole nuther subject.

It sure would be nice if these commands were available from the bootable cd since it is running linux.

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My two cents as well although I backup to an internal HD. I think you also get an extra level of quality assurance this way because you can use your DVD burning software's verify-after-writing feature to confirm the burn when you use the 2-step method.

10. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I'll throw my two cents into this kitty as well. This UDF stuff is like adding another wrinkle that might just go wrong.

11. aoz

aoz Registered Member

to all, replies look good.
    re: the VERIFY after backup - that is actually an EXCELLENT point.
    Currently, acronis only VERIFIES that the image can be read and is intact; but it does not verify the actual data
    I THINK the file-based backup method reads the fils, but not suere.

I havve suggested before that they have an actual
    VERIFY-DATA-after-backup-against-original-data
    method

thanks
    nick

12. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I would like to have that too, though I realize that such an option would work only from the rescue environment, due to all the activity running in background of Windows, permanently changing the imaged disk state.

13. aoz

aoz Registered Member

understood,
    but apparently with windows there is some new mechanism that handles open files (something like VSS, or some such abbreviation)
    I don't know all the in's and outs, but I do use one other file-backup program that does do verifies after compare; it does list the errors that happen on some of the open files, but does list that verification did ooccur on the closed files.

ALSO, since disk is static when booted from the rescue/program disk, verification of data should be able to be done from that mode (complete data verification, not just verifiatino that the backup integrity is OK).

anyway, my two cents.
    nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.