BoClean vs Ewido

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Rainwalker, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

The on-access scanner actually isn't why hijackthis helpers recommend it(at least from what i have been learning in my training). Ewido is recommended so much because it has an excellent file scanner which detects a slew of malware, and does an excellent job in cleaning infections. In addition, it generates a log file in .txt form which can then be either uploaded or copied and pasted for the helper to see, and pinpoint the infections and how to completely clean them up.

Alphalutra1

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Alphalutra1

I was very careful to highlight ONE - "one" of the reasons people suggest Eiwdo - in my post. I acknowledge the points you made, and also appreciate that it is well thought of, and contunues to improve from what i've heard too.

StevieO

3. john2g

john2g Registered Member

No, it is recommeded because it is free!

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

KAV is also recommended to clean some VERY hard to remove viruses(get the trial, but again it is not free) ;)

Alphalutra1

5. controler

controler Guest

Since we are speaking about hijackthis. I am still wondering if anyone has asked for help at this time, if they use BoClean? If anyone has seen one, could you please point me to the link?

Thanks

controler

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

They can't recommend it for an HJT-log, since you can't download it.
    You still need to buy it first and besides it doesn't have a scanner like Ewido. :doubt:
    One Dutch board I visit regularly also has an HJT section and almost every time Ewido is recommended to download and perform a scan to clean these infections.
    Like Alphalutra1 said the log is posted, so the helper can give additional cleaning instructions. :thumb:

7. john2g

john2g Registered Member

Posters of HJT logs, that are BOClean users, are rarer the hen's teeth.

8. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

i've seen 3 of them
    in all cases those victims had major infections that were almost 100% cleaned by boclean... leaving only minor things to fix

one had an out of date version of boclean, upgraded as the forum helper suggested it and .... you guess :D

9. controler

controler Guest

john2g & illukka

Yes that is what I ment. Users of BoClean are not seen looking for highjackthis help ;) not was it suggested for use by HJT helpers.

I am guessing even those asking for help for HJT logs didn't use Ewido before infection? That would bring me to the next question. Do you see any HJT logs on helper forums of people that got infected while using Ewido before they asked for help?

I think this might answer the question, Ewido or BoClean.

controler

10. TNT

TNT Registered Member

It could also be that they did use Ewido, but not in real time (just the free setup). :D

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So u mean if u are using BoClean, chances to beome infected are very little?

12. john2g

john2g Registered Member

All the time.

13. john2g

john2g Registered Member

To the best of my recollection, there have been 2 HJT logs posted at DSLR since Feb 2005 by owners of BOClean. Both of these were false alarms.

14. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

john 2 of them were at spywareinfo

i never ask if they got infected while running ewido
    i just clean them :D

15. controler

controler Guest

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I didn't read this entire thread but you were asking earlier in the thread about BoClean not having a trial. If this was answered in one of the posts I didnt read (very sleepy at the moment, then I apologize for the following). I used to wonder about that and not want it if I had to buy it first even if there was a money back guarantee if I didn't like it, but then I was pointed by John2g to Nancy McAleavey's excellent explanation of why there is no trial. It's brillant actually and gives BoClean tremendous power that no other AT could ever have in this fight against malware. Protecting the users of BoClean by refusing to have a trial ironically also causes NSClean to lose sales due to the widespread ignorance (just like mine and I consider myself knowledgeable on security topics) regarding why there is no trial.

There is a specific, important reason why boclean has no trial. It is very much to the user's advantage that there is no trial even though at first glance that seems strange and perhaps irritating.The lack of a trial and certain legal rulings in New York state have given boclean a distinct advantage over its competition. Here's the KEY quote:

BECAUSE WE WERE NOT A "COMMON CARRIER" IN THAT THERE IS NO "EVALUATION COPY" AVAILABLE TO THE "GENERAL PUBLIC" BOCLEAN IS SEEN LEGALLY AS A "SUBSCRIBER SERVICE" AND OUR DECISIONS TO COVER OR NOT COVER CERTAIN MALWARE IS LEGALLY SEEN AS A "SERVICE" RATHER THAN AN OBLIGATION AND THUS LEGALLY, BECAUSE WE DO NOT OFFER "TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC," WE ARE A "PRIVATE CLUB" AND THUS ENTITLED TO ANY DISCRIMINATION "ON BEHALF OF OUR SUBSCRIBERS AS WE SEE FIT".

The following is from a longer article by Nancy McAleavey. Full article is at the link below this quote:

boclean GETS SUED FOR "RESTRAINT OF TRADE"

"In the summer of 2000, the NETBUS trojan was sold to a Florida Corporation who decided to resell Netbus as "a legitimate remote administration tool." When they learned that boclean was detecting the Netbus trojan as "Netbus trojan" their lawyers took action against Privacy Software Corporation, demanding a "cease and desist" on our detection of Netbus. Our corporate lawyer and our management contested the assertion, and prior to trial came to a settlement with the dealer (now defunct) which determined that boclean would be provided with a "Do noT detect Netbus" option in order to stop boclean from detecting Netbus *IF* the end user so desired. A legal precedent was also set under New York jurisdiction (we're a New York Corporation legally) by this settlement which was upheld by the courts. Our "option" to noT detect at the discretion of the end user was an "adequate remedy" under New York State law, and boclean is governed by same.

BECAUSE we were not a "common carrier" in that there is no "evaluation copy" available to the "general public" boclean is seen legally as a "subscriber service" and our decisions to cover or noT cover certain malware is legally seen as a "service" rather than an obligation and thus legally, because we do noT offer "to the general public," we are a "private club" and thus entitled to ANY discrimination "on behalf of our subscribers" as WE see fit. Netbus therefore had no legal standing to challenge our decision. AND, because we agreed in a settlement to place the "Do noT detect Netbus" in our configuration screen, the embarassment of the "this is bad, but ignore it" display in our product only served to bury Netbus as a "legitimate remote administration tool."

The outcome is there is already legal precedent for boclean under the law, and whereas other antimalware had surrendered to bogus legal claims (but eventually relented after we won the decision) and dropped the detection of malware, boclean is under no such legal obligation. We act on behalf of our "subscribers" BECAUSE there are no "free to the general public" releases of boclean. THAT provision is what keeps everybody safe even if it costs us "easy sales."

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13404360

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

The BoClean folks care more about protecting folks than making money, and the proof of this is that they allow you to buy BoClean just once, and then put it on every machine in your home, even if you have 4 or 5 pcs; none of this "one license for every pc" bullderm. :cool:

Acadia

18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

True enogh but made possible by lucrative business contracts. At least that is what we have been told by the owners. But the dedication to the product and the generous way they treat the average user I would never attempt to argue the point with you. ;)

19. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

mercurie

Some things need clearing up about your statement regarding "lucrative"

Kevin McAleavey of BOClean has Never to my knowlege Ever mentioned anything coming close to it being a "Lucrative" business, in fact just the opposite ! He has alluded to, that well before the year 2000 that they were at some point making a decent turnover. But since then things are a lot leaner, especially these days.

What he has Actually stated on more than one occasion is that, were it NOT for the corporate clients, they wouldn't be able to sustain the business on home users alone. This does NOT imply that they are making bundles of $, but rather that they do have at least some guaranteed yearly income from those corporate customers.

Recently they have taken on more staff to help cope with ALL the malware they are now having to analyise etc every single day. The workload is now more time consuming and intense than ever before, but the income to support all this isn't keeping pace. So hardly lucrative by any stretch of the imagination !

Also don't forget the personal service and attention that is often given to users too, which all takes up valuable time.

StevieO

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Such being the case, I do not have warm fuzzy feelings about the long term future of any of the AT-specialized programs. SOMEbody tell me I'm wrong.... please.

21. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

count me in Bellgamin .. it seems that every 4-6 months I get shocked by something like this :blink: cause to be honest: the morning I read this Ewido-AVG story, I was at least very surprised ... and I only hope Ewido will continue to be n°1 .. there has never ever been a software product become better after such an acquisition by another company ... at least not that I know ..

and that's just my personal opinion. about boclean, well .. I think I'll have to reevaluate my on access software this weekend .. so we'll see *puppy*

22. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I agree Infinity, it will be interesting to see which direction Ewido will be heading, despite Ewido assuring users all will be the same, i can't help feeling i made a big mistake by renewing for 2 years, i would definitely not have done that, if i knew they would sell to Grisoft a few weeks later, because i bought to support some young germans with a vision of a better AT program (whether it is or not), i would not have renewed, if i was aware that they were to be taken over by a subpar AV.

I hope for the best, but fear that in some months we will be hearing the old song (when the original members of team Ewido has left for new "challenges"), about being able to provide an even better service to Ewido costumers by moving and gathering all the resources in Brno for better synergies yada, yada, yada....................this will mean the technologies will be incorporated into AVG as it is much better synergywise than continueing to programs and the extra expense of having two operations doing essencially the same could not be justified to the shareholders, of course a free "upgrade" to AVG is available to all licenseholders!! :D :D

Of course this is all speculation, but so are the assurances by Ewido.....sorry Grisoft/AVG, might as well get used to that name. ;)

23. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Personaly, I'm one of the first purchasers of ewido (I guess..), when it was firstly released, they sold copies for 25$ with lifetime licence lol (so I did .. lucky me ;))
    this technique is used a lot (Agnitum last christmas with their lifetime licence - three weeks later they upgraded their fw and the offer was gone, Ewido (in the beginning-upgraded..offer was gone), and there are a lot of others actualy .. whenever a company needs money, they offer something which is very attracting .. then when they have the money .. they take the attractive offer from the website .. or they get merged (God I hate that word!)
    best wishes and good weekend y'all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.