"Fully functional" trial version

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cangelo, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cangelo

cangelo Registered Member

I just downloaded your Acronis 15day trial, to see if it would function in our company. The text in the installed software stated that it was "fully functional" but limited to 15 days, which is perfectly fine to test the software.

I burned a boot-CD to try a cloneing of one of our laptop computers, and everything worked fine, until I got to the point where I was supposed to start it and actually DO the cloning. Here it stopped, and said that it couldn't actually DO the cloning because it was only a trail verison! :mad:

Why the h.... do you say it's a "fully functional" trial version, have me install it, burn a CD and go through the entire cloning setup - BEFORE YOU TELL ME IT WON'T WORK!?

At this point I'm not really happy with your product (as you might have guessed :cautious: ), and all this could have been avoided if you just TELL me from the beginning WHAT I can expect from the trial - and what I CAN'T expect.

I'll be off looking for an other cloning product...

Regards.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cangelo,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the trial version has the following limitations:

- Windows: all functions available, 15-days trial period;
    - Bootable media: Recovery feature available only.

Please note that you can clone your hard drive to the new one within Windows Native mode.

You can find the detailed information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  3. Mike80919

Mike80919 Registered Member

I have to agree with cangelo on this point. I was pretty frustrated about this as well. You should not say it's "fully functional" if part of it does not work.

I was having cloning problems and consulted this board for help. One of the suggestions was to make a recovery cd and boot from it, and clone from there. Well I spent hours trying to make a recovery CD because of issues with the CD Burner not writing (also documented on this board). After many reboots and failed attempts, I was able to get the CD to burn by booting in Safe Mode. Then after all that I boot off the CD and it says I can't actually use it, even though this is a "fully functional" trial version.

-Mike

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I agree too. "Fully" is definitely not the adjective that should be used.

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, seekforever

Let's get real here.

If the BootCD was Fully Functional with a Trial Version, Many people would not Buy the Full Version [I leave it to you can guess why] , because a fully functional BootCD is Basically The Full Version of the Program on a BootCD.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The trial version is limited to 15 days, and the mechanisms that could be used to bypass the trial restrictions, in addition to violating the license, are just not worth the trouble. Far easier to just buy the software.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't have any problem with the fact they have protected themselves by disabling the feature; the problem is that people install it, try to do something and it doesn't work. Should work they think because it says its fully functional so they drive themselves nuts and get annoyed at the product. Sure, if you think about it, you come to the conclusion that they couldn't just make it all work and give it away, but it does say it's fully functional and it doesn't work.

What's wrong with being up front about it? "Windows version works for 15 days, standalone CD version lets you restore only." Seems like an easy way to avoid annoying potential customers.

8. TheQuest

Hi, Howard Kaikow

Some People do not worry about violating licenses.

I am no expert on optical media like some, but once it is on burned too CD would that not stop it from not being stopped [after 15 days] from being a trial.

That I fully support at all times.

Take Care,

9. TheQuest

Hi, seekforever

I agree it could or should be worded differently.

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.