Why 2 archive files??????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pawdrip, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pawdrip

pawdrip Registered Member

Hi, I'm new to True Image 9.0 and when I create a full image of my drive, it creates 2 files. One is large and the other about a 1/4 of its size. Why is this? I have looked at the manual and can't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

paw

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Is the first one about 4GB in size. That is the maximum image size (or any file) for a file on a FAT32 partition. This is the usual reason if the Split Archive option has not been used.

Did you check the Split Archive option to see if it is set to anything that would cause a split.

3. pawdrip

pawdrip Registered Member

Your right! Its because I have a FAT and a Fat32 partition. What can I do to remedy this? Thanks

paw

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The remedy is to convert the partition you are storing the images on to NTFS.

Before you rush out and do this, why worry?

There is nothing wrong with a split archive and in fact many (most?) people do it deliberately by setting the size in the options. I always split mine around 1.4GB so I can put 3 pieces onto a DVD with little wasted space. Others split them at 650MB so they can write them to a CD.

If you create a large image and then need to split it later you can't.

If you decide to deliberately split your archive a handy tip is to name your image files like this:

filename_

then when TI adds the number for each succesive pieces you will get names like filename_1.tib, filename_2.tib, etc. Nothing magic but it does make it easier to read the names for any future file management activity.

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.