SpyCatcher 2006?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by notageek, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I read other threads on this but they was threads from a year ago, a lot can change in a year. I want to know if anyone is using SpyCatcher and if so how come SpyCatcher flags Window Washer as spyware everytime but nothing else does? Is it a good back up program to use? I won it on aother site and thought since I won it, why not use it. LOL I just wanted other peoples input on SpyCatcher.

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I tried that app recently and was alarmed to see it produce over 30 false positives on my PC which is definitely spy-free. I raised this point on the SpywareWarrior site where the rogue/suspect antispyware program list is held and queried its status. As of now, it hasn't been de-listed as a recommended app, but they are re-evaluating it and may reclassify it.

Personally I didn't like it at all, but that's purely a personal opinion.

3. notageek

Yeah I got a window washer FP. I'm not sure about SpyCatcher though. That's why I asked here.

4. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Well, CNet is hawking SpyCatcher Express as one of their top freeware utilities. I haven't had enough time to really put it to the test, but so far the GUI is slightly annoying me and there's not much to say about the rest of it.

5. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

alot of fps

6. notageek

I'm talking about the full version.

7. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Notageek,

I have SpyCatcher 2005 and it worked well for me, not a lot of FP'S. It picked up things that other's didn't, as for 2006 I don't know.

I also tried that SpyCatcher Express, stay away from it. It gives you a trojan. I found this interceptor.dll and wbsys.dll on my computer that I removed. Interceptor.dll is a Trojan/BackDoor. I found this info on Google.

Here is a link that explains a bit, you might want to read, hope this helps.
    http://castlecops.com/a6438-Hot_off_the_press_WMF_Vulnerability_Checker.html

8. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

not true spywarewarrior rates spycatcher\express as trustworthy

9. Rilla927

I'm going off my own personal experience, not a rating.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

11. Rilla927

Hi Fuser,

when you google interceptor.dll the first five of six links are in regards to Trojans. So there is a legit one from Window Blinds and one that is a virus. I don't own Window Blinds.

Since wbsys.dll is linked it said to rename or delete the file in one of the links I read. I deleted both dlls.

Right after I put SpyCatcher Express on my computer I could not open my browsers at all, (everytime I opened it, it would shut down by itself) so I started looking around and found those two dlls. I posted the wrong link in my first post, oops!

This is my personal experience with this program.

Kind Regards

12. WSFuser

i find it strange that ur computer got "infected" by spycatcher express and mine didnt. well every system is different, right?

13. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

SpyCatcher Express is a fine choice for AntiSpyware . Not the best but , a good application . I like it as back up . I feel it does a much bettedr job than Ad Aware does . If that means anything .:D

14. Rilla927

Hi Fuser

maybe the difference is, where people are d/l it. All I know is I got a bad one.

15. WSFuser

if that is teh case, should u judge the program or the download site? neways i got mine from download.com

16. flopcat

flopcat Registered Member

have spycatcher express. it has given me problems but it also found things nothing else did. I also have interceptor and am trying to figure out what it is and where it came from.l
    Just read that download.com adds spyware in there downloads. Not sure if its true but supposedly the eula for the site states that in vague language about alllowing third parties to advertise to you.

17. flopcat

flopcat Registered Member

update. tenebril reports that interceptor.dll IS the root kit part of the spycatcher software. It gets picked up as spyware because it acts as a rootkit.

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

19. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i share the same sentiment,heard a lot about it went to it,it detected a very important context-menu or some important dll file,one excel file and god!
    i never used it again....
    i used it arounf feb-march if i remember correctly...stay away from it

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: When I choose any app for myself, the rating from any commericial mag. is providing me INFO only and nothing more. I will do trials and errors and draw my own conclusion, after all, it is for myself and nobody else. I d/l spycatcher express and run a parallel test w/ superantispyware as well. The former produces a lot more F.P. while the latter does not single out any at all. The results from the two could act so much extremely, just let me wonder (??), which one is telling the truth nothing but turth.o_O

21. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If you would like to post the scan log from SpyCatcher, I can see if the items detected are false-positives. If they are items that SUPERAntiSpyware missed, we will immediately update our defintions to protect our users.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks and Nick: Thank you for your kind offer. Unfortunately, I did not save any scan log. I have tried spycather express some time ago, and this time around was with one purpose in mind; to concur some viewers' findings. Those F.P. singled out are legitimate apps. Superantispyware IS my baseline for AS apps. Earlier, I have use it to compare with SD. I am convinced that facts often shine more brightly than those thousand words(sponsored sites' gossips). Nick, continue your excellent work.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.