PORTBUSTER 3.0 - Looks interesting!!!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SPEEDY6128, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPEEDY6128

SPEEDY6128 Registered Member

Hi there,

Just recently discovered this little app. Thought i'd let you lot know about it.

"Portbuster watches the TCP/IP ports of your computer and blocks incomming connections of trojans, spy tools, hackers and other connections from the Internet or LAN. The port agent knows most dangerous ports that are used by hacker software to break into your machine on the Internet. For a high level of security let the agent block these attacks. "

I've tried the trial and seems very good, but not sure exacly you would call Portbuster, I think its some kind of Firewall/IDS/Blocker. Wound'nt mind your thoughts on this app.

http://www.portbuster.com/

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

It does look interesting . Just from a quick look , I believe $ 25.00 is a bit high for what it does . You can get the same security PLUS some for the same money . If money makes no difference , could be fun to play with . I will probably take a look at this in a few days

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

let us know...:D

4. SPEEDY6128

yep, keep us all posted hollywoodpc, cheers

5. hollywoodpc

It is early but , it does report attacks and warnings . However , it does not say which port was attacked OR what the warnings are for . As of yet , I see nothing different in this than that of a good firewall . And a good firewall will tell you which port was attacked . Still early though . I will continue to play . Nice interface i must say . Just wish it gave more info in it .

6. hollywoodpc

Something to look at :
    Also , no way , that I can see , to set a rule for a port . Such as email . Say you retrieve your mail on port 110 . PB will automatically block this port . The only way to retrieve your mail would be to remove port 110 from being protected . Thought you might be interested . This is telling me that configurability is severely limited .

Attached Files:

• PB.jpg
      PB.jpg
      File size:
      100 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2006
  7. controler

controler Guest

Hollywood

Are those attacks against your router?

con

8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

That looks very similar to Wyvenworks Firewall, with it's "plain" port list blocking.

Cheers,
    nicM

9. hollywoodpc

Hi controler .
    Yes and no . A couple are just basic pings . A couple are from my email client trying to receive mail .

10. SPEEDY6128

Any ideas what you would classify this app to be then yet ? Or is it to early to tell ?

11. hollywoodpc

It is early but , all I can see is that it simply blocks the listed ports . Ports that have been known to be used to attack computers . Again , it is early but , if this is the case , one has to ask , WHY ? $ 25.00 ? WHY ? Buy Kerio for $ 15.00 and get the same thing PLUS alot more . Dunno . I am also waiting for a reply from some emails sent to the developer AND support . We shall see .
    Sorry about the size Ron .

12. hollywoodpc

6 days ( and counting ) since sending two emails . No response . I will send one more and wait . If I get no response to that either , I will NEVER suggest this to anyone . Not that I am suggesting it now . Just testing it . Part of a test is support . So far , it is non-existent . Funny that it has been in progress since at least 2003 . Oh well

13. hollywoodpc

Ok .
    I must suggest to leave this one alone . The price should be free . That is IF it would be stable . It seems to have buffer overflow problems at times . There is no support . And , as I have already stated , there is no way to adjust the port blocking . I find it to be a nice concept but , poorly implemented . Not because of the company so much as just the concept . If they responded to queries and made this customizable AND was more stable AND blahblahblah ..........
    Do not buy this . Pay half the amount for Kerio and get alot more for the money .

14. SPEEDY6128

Nice one hollywoodpc for that evaluation. Another app fit for the bin then
    :shifty: :thumbd: :shifty: :thumbd:

15. hollywoodpc

Difference is , Wyvern does not block ports they are needed . Such as email ports . AND , it is free and stable . Wyvern is a bit more feature rich than PB but , basically the same thing . And it is stable . Can be used with most other firewalls as well and usually no slowdown

16. hollywoodpc

Glad I could help SPEEDY

17. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Yes, that's the reason why I made this comment ;) - same features or almost, for free.

18. hollywoodpc

I like your signature . Lol . And Wyvern uses next to nothing , resourcewise

19. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I didn't check if Wywenworks FW ports list could be edited though, as far as I remember (tested it few days ago) it can't .

Cheers,
    nicM

20. hollywoodpc

No it cannot . But , the difference is , Wyvern already took into consideration what could not be blocked and left that port out .

21. SPEEDY6128

Wyvern Firewall alongside another firewall ?? Sure thats wise, as i dont think you can turn off the firewall in it can you ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.