ShadowSurfer - being offered for free

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    After having had problems going through the above, I can now explain in detail what has already been mentioned in a thread on spywarewarrior.

ShadowSurfer 2.5 is being offered for free.

Go here:

http://www.shadowstor.com/download.html

The 100% discount coupon code is mentioned on the page.

You will have to "buy" the software.
    When you click buy, you'll go to a buy page with the ability to enter coupon code. Enter your coupon and press update quantity.
    The bill will be reduced to 0 money.
    You will proceed to checkout.
    Provide your email so they can send you the activation key.
    Opt for an option of "payment" - I suggest phone or similar. No need giving your credit card for 0 money, eh?
    Then you can download the program at the bottom of the page.
    I did it and successfully activated the software.

ErikAlbert, this is for you!

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mrk,

Already covered in this thread, and actually if you try to use your credit card to charge $0.00, it will flag the transaction. You need to use the phone option, I think it is the only one that works.

As with most free offerings, it is a tickler and extended introduction for the paid application. Since there were a few contexts in which I thought that this type of application would be of use to me in the future, I ultimately did opt for the paid ShadowUser application. Both have worked as advertised for me.

Since a prior thread here did focus on the question of whether applications such as ShadowSurfer/User could serve as the sole replacement of classical security applications (AV/AT/etc.), I should comment that after some extended exposure to the product, my assessment is unchanged. It's a great adjunct, but not a sole, free standing, security solution. Note, StorageCraft does not position it in this role - their positioning of ShadowUser/Surfer is in line with its basic functionality.

Blue

3. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

It worked when I used the phone me option.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Why would they want my credit card number if they are not gonna charge it?
    I´m sure they are a legit company and wouldnt do this to harvest credit card numbers, but I would feel very uneasy providing it. I cant see the reason for it....so I´ll pass this offer.

5. BlueZannetti

As I pointed out above and in the original thread, they don't want your card information, and if you try to go down this road, the website will not allow you to checkout since a charge of $0.00 is flagged as inappropriate.

Blue

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I had no probs downloading.......but I find it has replaced my Wallpaper with this green Logo??......It's awful and I can't seem to be able to change it .........any ideas please.....:D

Cochise,:cool:

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Never mind........I've uninstalled it.....I don't like stuff that justs takes over without asking.......:D :D

By the way if you use it's uninstall feature in All Programmes it will still be in Add/Remove??.....and when you remove it from there it will still be in your Registry??...........Tenacious little B****r.....:D :D :D

Cochise,:cool: Surfing on the Surface..

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Blue, my intention was only to give people an option to try - for free, no advertising, no endorsement.
    Second, I did mention the phone option.
    Third, I do not think ShadowSurfer alone is the only needed solution.
    Fourth, Cochise, the green wallpaper is what you get in Shadow Mode, so you know you run the virtual machine. If you disable the mode and reboot back normally, your wallpaper will be restored.
    I trialed both this and User, no problems in that regard.
    Mrk

9. BlueZannetti

Mrk,

No problem. Just pointing new readers to the previous thread if more info desired quickly since it was a recent one.

I reemphasized the phone as well so the previous thread wouldn't play out again.

Didn't want to imply you had mentioned ShadowSurfer as a sole solution, but it can be read that way since it came from left field. My apologies since I know you weren't heading in that direction.

The wallpaper is an often needed visual reminder.

Blue

10. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I used the credit card option and all went OK. I wasn`t charged at the end when I put in the code and all went well. Maybe I was just lucky? I guess the phone option would have been better...less typing. :)

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

@Cochise I also have green shadows from desktop icons. But only with ShadowSurfer enabled. When not enabled no shadows. It's not a big deal for me.

12. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I liked the left field!!!!! Took me three times to get it, but I did. Very subtle, very subtle, ye babe.
    Mrk

13. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Hello all, the ShadowMode wallpaper can be replaced with what ever you choose. Put your wallpaper in the ShadowStor folder and rename it, remove old WP and name yours "ShadowSurferWallpaper".

14. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi there

Been following this thread this morning. Sounds interesting and I might give it a try but I think I've got a bit confused over the concept, if someone could help :). These may be dumb questions -don't know :blink:

Basically, if I run in ShadowMode do all my other security apps A/v, firewall , AT etc work in that 'virtual' format ? If I go crashing around the web with wild abandon will said apps still intercept any nasties same as if I was in non ShadowMode ?

If not, and whilst in Shadowmode I downloaded a keylogger for example, and then say, I logged in to my bank account (still in ShadowMode) could this info be transmitted out before I ended the ShadowSurfer session and rebooted into Standard Mode ?

Just curious before I give it a whirl.

Cheers

Jon

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

As I understand. As long as ones in ShadowMode all changes viruses, downloads of any sort & program updates etc. Will all be wiped out upon reboot. So one can run minimal to no protection in ShadowMode with no adverse effects. Is that right?

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A very good rule of thumb would be not to put to much faith in any one program.;)

17. Old Monk

Thanks Zapjb

I think I get that bit - but what about when you enter sensitive password material during a ShadowMode session whilst happily cavorting into unknown territory ? I don't plan on doing so but it's kind of redundant to me if I have to surf in Standard Mode to conduct certain business i.e gives me no further protection than I have at present within that scenario. Dunno may be completely misunderstanding this bit :doubt:

I am a novice BigC but I completely agree.

Just not sure how my earlier scenario is dealt with or is it irrelevant ?

Perhaps I've gone off the original topic a bit so to keep it on thread ;) - got my licence key just fine.

Thanks for the info Mrk :D

Cheers

Jon

18. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

As Blue said , it is a visual reminder . You MUST be careful with this program . If you forget you are in shadow mode , you can erase certain programs you meant to keep . Be VERY careful

19. Old Monk

Thanks Hollywoodpc

I do indeed intend to be VERY, VERY careful :eek:

As I see it, great for experimentation i.e reckless surfing, trying out some applications etc but again I still don't know whether my existing security apps catch stuff in ShadowMode and therefore,if I wanted to , whether I can conduct secure business during a ShadowMode session.

Just another thought what about A/V updates etc during a ShadowMode session - are they lost when rebooting back to Standard Mode ?

Cheers

Jon

20. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

Just curious......does anyone know if this Program uses a RootKit.......o_O?

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

@Old Monk I too would like an answer about conducting business in SM. But I can attest AV updates (NOD32) in SM are indeed lost upon reboot.

22. Old Monk

Hi Zapjb

NOD32 user here too, so that answers that one :)

I guess we wait and see for answers about our other concerns :ninja: :D

Cheers

Jon

23. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    No different for any software that requires reboot upon installation eh?
    Besides, suzi at spywarewarrior uses it, eric tested it, it comes from a respectable company... relax.
    Apropos keyloggers and such - Shadow will protect from changes to your machine - it will not undo information transfer you commit during a session. If you were compromized by a keylogger during the Shadow session, your sensitive info can be sent out. You will not have troubles removing the keylogger afterwards, but that does not mean you'll be invulnerable.
    I think the major advantage of ShadowSurfer for home users is in testing software. BEFORE installing something permanently, you can test it first using Shadow Mode, for major incompatibilities. I just did that again, with Windows Defender, for instance.
    The beauty of it is rather clean install / uninstall for testing, and easy removal of spyware - but that does not guarantee total privacy, oh no!
    Mrk

24. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Jon .
    You must remember what the program does . It is creating , basically , a pretend computer for you to play on . So , since you are playing " pretend " , once you come back to reality all the pretend stuff is gone . Hence , if you download ANYTHING in pretend mode , once you shut down , it is right back to reality . The place you were BEFORE you started playing " pretend " . Hope that helps
    This is why I say you must be careful when using this program

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  25. Old Monk

Hi Mrk

Thank you very much for clearing that up.

Excellent, that answers my questions very nicely. All in all, well worth using in certain situations if there are no buggy/glitch problems.

Have downloaded and will give it a go now knowing what it's limitations are.

Thanks again for your original post and this follow up.

Ain't Wilders good :D

Cheers

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.