is toptenreviews still faulty?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by metallicakid15, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2006
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This test still has inaccuracies in it and I don't believe I would really put much stock in the way they test.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Don't know much about the methods, but as far as I'm concerned Bit Defender 9 is as good overall as any other. I have used it for a year, and am pleased with it. I am using the same license on my laptop at no additional cost.

The free Spysweeper makes it the best buy IMO.

While the test is probably not the best, I observe that if some do not find their favorite named the best, the test is faulty. I can't argue technically, but I do know my own experience, and BD is not only with the front runners it gets better all the time.

AV Comparatives rated BD as Advanced + on the on-demand test, and 2nd to NOD on the Restrospective test. The tester said that the Advanced + AVs were essentially equal. In that test BD came in 5th.
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Different tests seem to get different results. Bit Defender is always near the top in all.

Jerry

4. bigc73542

I agree BD is a good av, but the info on some of the other av's was inacurate which throws the test out the window as far as I am concerned.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although I do not know much about testing such things, I do admit that some of the rankings seem flaky. I am of the opinion that when KAV and NOD do not rank at the top, but instead rank behind some others that are shown, something seems wrong with the tests. While I do like BD, and have no plans to change, I believe that KAV and NOD are the two best as far as detection is concerned.

Jerry

6. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Agreed !! Not so much them pushing BD . It is more about where the others seem to have placed .

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Same opinion... ;)

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. hlc

hlc Registered Member

May be this test contains not only the virus test,but also other tests like Easy to use,Online Virus Scanner,or some other additional tests.These additional tests could be influence the final result...:doubt: :doubt:

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

The test is absolute garbage, and the site doesn't "finally" have a "review..." Spammers have been trying to link that site here in Wilders forever now. Go to the root directory of their homepage and you will see they have "reviews" trying to sell whoever paid them the most for all sorts of things. The site definitely belongs on the Rogue List; and that's just where it is.

11. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

so is the offer of buying bd and getting spysweeper free faulty also?

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Lol - well it looks like that Herman's Street place found out what the top10 folks were up to - clickt he link now from top10 and you get

Wonder why?

Anyway I wouldn't get too excited since the site selling BD says
    which tends to mean it's just the download that's free - whoopee. Usually a free "download" like that means you get the thing and install it for free but it's a trial or else you're gonna have to pay if you want any updates.

13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Of course, if the antivirus your using isn't listed with top ones, your gonna say its bogas.I agree NOD32 should be listed with those top three and using anyone of those including NOD32, will give you the best chance at staying virus free.Using anything else, including Norton, your detection and removal rates will suffer.I saw on another forum yesterday about some recent trojans that are showing up in emails and the only 2 AV's that caught it were Kaspersky and F-secure.

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Actually, that would be illogical and the reason I am convinced the site is bogus has more to do with what Eric Howes has on his Spywarewarrior page...

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

The false positives as a goad to purchase is talking about the "toptenreviews" branded rogue "antispyware."

15. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I've spent hours looking at different reviews and tests but mostly the tests because almost all reviews are biased.And the only reason i commented here is because those results reflect the results i've seen.I see Kaspersky usually with the best detection rates, followed closely by F-secure,NOD32 and BitDfender.Some times the order is changed alittle, but it's always these AV's at the top.I have failed to see a recent testing that Norton was on top.Thats because it has slipped in it's detection and removal rates.Go look for yourself.

16. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

Here is something very interesting, go to this page on Herman Street :

http://www.hermanstreet.com/store/software_security-privacy.html

On the left side is a topten review logo, when I clicked on it, the good Doctor Web notified me about a script exploit, something called IRC.Whacked which is a worm when I looked up what it could be.
    Now it could be a false positive, I'm not sure, but after reading these posts here, I doubt it's false.:eek:

17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Of course, you could take a look at a test such as av-comparatives.org, one that has a clearly defined test protocol and has a shot of objectively quantifying performance, and come to a different conclusion. Yes, KAV/etc. are there at the top with Symantec/Norton and McAfee right in the middle of that mix, usually in 2nd-4th spot. KAV is generally 1st on any demand test I've seen. Symantec/Norton has lagged somewhat on retrospective assessments, but those are a statistically much noisier test protocol.

So overall, no, Symantec/Norton has not slipped in detection relative to peers or past history.

Blue

18. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Years ago, norton was the best but it clearly isn't now.So with all the problems with this product including inferior detection rates compared to some of the other AV's, why do people still use it?.That's what i would like to know!.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

From what I can see BlueZannetti answered this question.

20. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

tobacco:

• Detection rates are in the top tier, not inferior as you suggest
    • My personal opinion is that Live Update still needs some work
    • I'd prefer more frequent automated updates, but frankly, you don't need to update your AV every 12 minutes (I prefer daily....)
    • 2004 seemed to be the trough with respect to performance. I've not tried it since, but most reports that I trust have it as quite suitable in the current 2006 release
    • People use it for a variety of reasons including:
      • Availability in retail outlets
      • Prepackaged with their PC purchase
      • Covered by a joint home/work license (Corporate)
      • It is simple to use and works well without significant customized configuration
    If you have other preferences, fine. But don't feel compelled to belittle the choice of others when, to put it bluntly, your underlying facts are wrong.

Cheers,

Blue

21. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I will say my peace and then let this norton thing die.And i am a former norton user.What i hoped to accomplish here is to wake up some of the users who have been sitting on norton out of habit.This product has way more problems than it should and there are at least 3 or 4 better choices out there that will give you more protection with fewer hassles.I don't see anyone pushing the K-car anymore and that's because it was a lemon too!.

22. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Where's Randy_Bell at? :D

23. bigc73542

Randy Bell and myself know that Norton 2005/2006 is an excellent product and don't need to enter in a Norton bashing contest with people that obviously have not used Norton for at least several versions and are baseing their rant on outdated info.

24. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Well said, Blue. I think that sometimes people get too caught up EMOTIONALLY to speak factually and/or intelligently on a subject. To suggest that Norton has "inferior" detection rates shows more than an obvious bias, it shows utter disgust and contempt! And I'm not even a Norton user!

25. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Look

I think what irks me is why people get so defensive about what there using.Now, i don't use this product personally at the moment, but going by what i'm seeing on the web, there is alot of users experiancing problems.Now if you use it, why not accept it the way it is instead of getting defensive about it.I've used F-secure for 2 years now without infection and i know its not the easiet on resourses.I don't notice it on my machine but i've read some users do.So that's the way it is.Accept it.If someone showed me its detection rates were slipping and starting to let nasties through, then i'm gonna switch real fast.I'm not going to deny it and defend it till i'm blue in the face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.