Have tried everything to update 3.5.1

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by marthe224, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marthe224

marthe224 Registered Member

I simply can not get SpywarewareBlaster to update. I use trend micro. I have tried disabling trend micro and disabling my firewall.
    I have disabled proxies, shut down SpySweeper and other anti spyware programs but nothing works. Please, please, find a solution for me!o_O

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

For starters....do you receive an error message and if so what does it exactly say o_O

If no error message....what exactly happens when you first attempt to check for updates ?

3. marthe224

I have attached the error message that I most often receive. When I change various settings I receive the following error. "The file www.spyblaster.net/sbversion.txt was not found" I really hope you can solve my problem.

Attached Files:

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Without assuming wrongly....have you tried changing the connection settings in Spywareblaster ? If not....would you mind following the below steps Please.
    • Open SpywareBlaster and click on the Updates tab on the left side of the program. Then click on the Options tab near the top of the window.
    • Select "Use a direct connection to the Internet."
    • Close SpywareBlaster and then open it and try updating again

If you have already tried that....would you Please answer a few questions.

What version of Windows are you running ?

If XP....is this a limited account or an administrator ?

Do you have full access privileges to the SpywareBlaster folder ? To check open Windows Explorer and look in the C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster folder and attempt to delete the file named sbversion.txt. If you can that means you have proper priviligies.

I'll wait for further questions until you've posted back any of the above results.

5. marthe224

I have tried the direct connection. I have XP with administrator privileges.
    When I went to the SpywareBlaster folder there was no file named sbversion text. See my attachment, please.

Attached Files:

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I appologize but I overlooked something in your previous post. The link above you are showing www,spyblaster.net/sbversion.txt. That is the file name that was associated with the previous version 3.4 and the newest version should have a sbversion2.txt . This still may not be the problem but it makes me now ask did you have the previous 3.4 version and install the 3.5.1 version over the top of the older version :doubt:

If all else fails I would suggest you un-install whatever version is shown in Add\Remove Programs. Double check there is no C:\Program Files\Spywareblaster folder left. If so....remove it....re-boot your PC....re-install the newest Spywareblaster version and see what happens :doubt:

7. marthe224

I uninstalled and redownloaded 3.5.1 from Corel. I installed it and am still receiving the same message. Do you think this is hopeless? o_O

Attached Files:

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just to make sure....you did double check there is no C:\Program Files\Spywareblaster folder left after you accomplished a Add\Remove Programs ?

This should not be hopeless but I am a little powerless in that all I can do is hope you indeed are double checking everything in particular your Security software....temporarily disable firewall, proxies....etc....and that you are indeed an Admin privileged user. All I ask is that you Please check all of that thouroughly. If after all that I'll have to holler uncle and hope someone else can offer the magic fix :doubt:

9. marthe224

I have done everything you asked. I even uninstalled and downloaded and reinstalled from Coral yet when I tried to update I am told that I am missing the file sbversion2.txt
    When I went to the folder, sure enough it wasn't listed.

Attached Files:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The sbversion2.txt file is not initially installed. It does not become part of the Spywareblaster folder until you successfully connect to the server. What we have to determine is which one of your programs is preventing the proper connection....Windows firewall, other firewall, router, read\write priviligies, proxy filter(Proxomitron)....etc. :doubt:

What happens if you attempt the below link ?

www.spywareblaster.net/sbversion2.txt

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  12. marthe224

I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it from Major Geets. I disabled Webroot Spysweeper,Spyware doctor,microsoft antispyware,and Process Guard. I did not use my proxy connections and used a direct connection. Same result as before with the same error file sbversion2.txt not there. I also clicked on the link that Bubba gave me and here is the result

[Version]
    DOR=1/1/06
    DOP=1/6/06;1/18/06;2/4/06
    Location=http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywareblaster35/

[Version2]
    DOR=1/1/06

[InfoVersion]
    DOR=1/1/06

[CKVersion]
    DOR=1/1/06

[RSVersion]
    DOR=1/1/06
    DOP=1/18/06

[Program Update Information]
    ProductID=001
    VersionMajor=3
    VersionMinor=5
    VersionRev=1
    RequiresFullDownload=1
    ExeLocation=http://www.wilders.org/HTMLobj-1570/

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Well that is at least that's one step forward since you can at least download the file.

I haven't given up Marthe but would you mind explaining this a bit further Please.

"I did not use my proxy connections"

I'm not sure about this question but I'll ask anyway. Do you have any settings in Internet Explorer\Tools\Internet Options\Connections tab....LAN Settings ?

14. marthe224

Yes, I do. See attachment. I also use a program called GhostSurf in which my personal info and IP address are blocked and things are routed thru a proxy unless I list a site as a special site that should use a normal internet connection. I also use a proxy for Firefox which is my default browser.

Attached Files:

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Without assuming wrongly....earlier you said you had done everything that was asked....did that include disabling GhostSurf and removing those proxy LAN Settings you are showing in that latest attachment ??

16. marthe224

Yes. I changed my proxy in GhostSurf from secure to normal. I changed my fire fox and IE seeting from proxy to direct connection

17. marthe224

Hi Bubba,

I just had a thought. When I try to disable my proxy in the Lan Settings for IE, it just reverts back to the proxy again. I can't seem to keep it disabled.

18. marthe224

Victory! I got SpwareBlaster to update. I changed my firewall settings in Trend Micro to using a proxy and I changed the setting from direct connect to use the system connection/proxy settings. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.