how can I stop this error-ad in IE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hadi, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

3. hadi

hadi Guest

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

is Windows Messenger service on? another way to get those pop-ups..

If so... go to grc.com and get ShootTheMessenger from there, it's a simple little 'standalone' [no install needed] proggy to kill it. Can be renabled if you are on network and need to 'send' messages to other pcs.

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

TAS

5. hadi

hadi Guest

6. Tassie_Devils

hmmm bit unsure on that app there....

does it actually kill the Windows Messenger Service and not just for MSN Messenger as per this quote from that link i gave.

Just wanted to be sure, that's all, why not just dl that app to desktop, dbl click and it will ONLY tell you if it's Enabled/Disabled, nothing else until you decide.

If it is, then I will shut up.. lol... :ouch:

7. Tassie_Devils

hi hadi...

Obviously, if it is off for sure, then it's a type of pop-up which bypasses your pop-up blocker. do you have any other form of pop-up blocker besides IE's inbuilt?

Several firewalls have them, maybe yours could be enabled there also if it does. Other than that service still running, and your pop-up failing to block then I suggest the next step could be the installation of a dedicated blocker, or do you use any other browser, Ff or Opera... the inbuilts in those are very good.

TAS

8. hadi

hadi Guest

to be exact the messenger is uninstalled completely from day 1 (using this method. don't no how effective)
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-05.html

It is not a popup as such. it load it self with the page. also, comes in firefox. both in IE and Firefox, it doesn't appear in all site nor always .

9. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi Hadi
    to be exact the messenger is uninstalled completely from day 1 (using this method. don't no how effective

To check istatus of Windows messenger
    Go into the control panel and select Administrative Tools
    select Services
    Scroll to Messenger and check if it is disabled in Start Up Type column
    You can double click Messenger to get the properties box where you can make changes if required.

10. hadi

hadi Guest

Thanks. No messenger
    http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8976/mes9vt.jpg

11. Tassie_Devils

ok, if you have done that with the service then it's finished. :)

Now 'it comes in with page'... can it be closed without closing the page?

If so, then in the first post, the pic, what's the address where you get that 'Warning Error' from... I'd like to check with Ff, Opera, IE and see what I get myself.

Make sure you post full URL, do not abbreviate it like 'CLICK THIS'.

ONLY POST URL IF IT'S A NORMAL SITE ~ NOT AN ADULT/CRACK/WAREZ/ ETC. to avoid violating the TOS/Privacy of forum. Thanks, lol. :ouch:

TAS

12. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I get that advert banner if I visit that site with IE, but I don't get it at all if I use Firefox. It's not a popup, but an advert banner within the page, so to get rid of it you'll need something to strip out advertising banners from web pages. I use Adblock with Firefox and it obviously works, since if I disable Adblock, I see the banner in Firefox as well.

I gave up using IE for serious browsing a long time ago, so I don't know what's available for it that's like Adblock (with filterset-G ad list), but most firewalls can block that stuff. I have Sunbelt Kerio and that can, and I recall ZoneAlarm being able to do it as well.

13. Gety

Gety Guest

u need to get adblocking software. or a new browser.

14. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi TD
    it won't close. clicking on it this appears(pic) now clicking ok or cancel it closes IE and change its size to small. the only solution is to kill IE process (ctrl + alt + delete)

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9607/err0il.jpg

it appeared again here(same address) some times other ads.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Unknown-Device-Identifier.shtml

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2411/did9ak.jpg

I'm too old for that man.

Thank you very much

15. hadi

hadi Guest

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you should be able to right-click it and find the location/url then you can put the address in your adblocker and block it. or i suppose you can put it in your hosts file.

17. Tassie_Devils

ahhh... I thought after your previous post prior to mine that it was 'embedded' in the page, and wanted URL to check it.... definitely ads, and of the worst kind by the looks. :gack:

This is what I get in Opera and IE my Kerio firewall deems it to be dangerous content and blocks, see pic.

EDIT: Actually in Firefox, AdBlock stops them first, I did the original test in Opera/IE, in Ff, I cannot see anything.
    But my 'SiteAdvisor' deems this site in the RED zone. Proceed with extreme caution.

So, like trickyricky and ice recommended, you need to get some sort of ad stripper/blocker.

In Firefox, that would be AdBlock, for IE/Opera, I honestly don't know, as I have my Firewall stripping them out with certain ActiveX ones.

TAS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  18. Tassie_Devils

hmmm... good reason by the looks....

TAS

Attached Files:

• 133.JPG
      133.JPG
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.