Size limit of avatars

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by BlitzenZeus, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I could not find it listed anywhere on the site, but just from examining the size of the usual custom avatars I'm guessing that the limit is 60x60 pixels.

When I make custom avatars I don't want to upload them too large to make it slower to load if the server doesn't automatically alter the image for you, and I didn't like how my last avatar was streched to 60x60 when it was from another forum where 40x50 was their limit.

I've just updated my avatar with a 60x60 image so things should be fine unless I'm wrong about the 60x60 thing...

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi BlitzenZeus,

You are right. :)
    If the size of the avatar you upload is not 60 by 60, they will be resized (and look awkward in some cases).
    And yours looks great now.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

4. BlitzenZeus

Well I guess that answered my question... Think you guys can put some where that "Custom Avatars are 60x60, and they will be stretched if they are smaller."?

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I will update the FAQ and I've also made a slight change to the user profile maintenance screen (see image below). Previously it said:

"Please note that your image has to be gif or jpg and that it will be resized!"

I just added the "to 60x60".

Edit: FAQ updated here.

Attached Files:

7. BlitzenZeus

Thanks, at least you mention the size limit now.

8. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Pieter, Low Water Mark, Are Avatars that are uploaded automatically supposed to be resized by the Wilders server? I tried to upload 1 that is 197x154 pixals and get an error message that it is too big.

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Smaller avatars will be stretched to 60x60 pixels. Avatars that are bigger than 60x60 will generate that error message when you try to upload them. The board software can’t shrink avatars, only expand them, so it rejects bigger ones.

In order for your avatars to be as clear as possible and not skewed in any way by the software, you should make it 60x60 prior to uploading it. (This is especially true if the avatar is not perfectly square. If it’s 40x52, for example, then it’ll be a mess when the board makes it 60x60. So, at least make sure the avatar starts out square.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.