DEP shuts down Explorer.exe

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by amax, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amax

amax Registered Member

When I start up computer in the morning and log on my User for the first time, DEP shuts down Explorer. Does this indicate infection? I have run Nod on in-depth and nothing is red flagged. What would be the next logical thing to do? I am also suspicious of these entries in Scan log. Any advice would be appreciated. Alastair

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{A1CB6230-CD42-429A-A9CA-AB56D72E7304}\RP88\A0013911.EXE »GZ »l‹§(ÔwëW[}þ¢â©ÃºÃasþ ëyÛBoçê±Õçm/bÞÛ^¡‹ª º~Å«*Çq®6ž}¬Æ“ú½žº¤ÁûW¬éÚz<¡jçY–k<‰ËÛø¹F*¤]~ë4zŸ1cÓpæ»V·¦ñŒb"aDšµhmûKmw
    EñM=Úò ¬Ís”w_·j’+ŠŽ3'Û—©T£mÎÀÚcSyóe.6¹â
    h1"Š=™ZkÚ房-6u3_æR¡+Àš¢Èü©µeuNøë'S7w4.Úö¬)eŠŒß KV·”¿n"ð³F£³§mÏùš"¶†ä½0pu‹/!^4:+Vö˜¿JckÈÆ gñŒñ‚sð %·³au
    ù«Dç†`ì$r - error - unknown compression method

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{F1EF8391-8826-47C9-9FAF-8A49759212CF}\RP344\A0107284.exe »NSIS »gen_ff.dll - error occurred while reading archive

2. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

Seems to be a bug in DEP, there's an option to exclude Explorer from DEP.

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

I suppose another possibilty is that your System Restore files are corrupt. You may consider turning System Restore off, checking your hard drive for errors, and then turning System Restore back on.

4. amax

amax Registered Member

Turned off System restore.Ran Chdsk and let it repair,switched DEP to exclude Explorer and thats solved it. Thanks for the help everyone.

5. alglove

alglove Registered Member

That is good to hear. :) Don't forget to turn System Restore back on.

I came upon this thread in another forum that suggests DEP's issue with Explorer.exe might not be with Explorer itself, but with a buggy 3rd party "shell extension" (those "extra items" that appear when you right-click). You may want to check it out:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/438005156731

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.