Taskbar icon does not appear.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by crust, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crust

crust Registered Member

I have installed the trial of NOD32, to see how it works before I consider buying it, and it's all working great except that the taskbar icon doesn't appear when the computer starts. The process loads, the splashscreen appears, but the taskbar icon doesnt appear. I have searched the forums and found this thread , but my registry key was fine so I'm not sure what to do. The taskbar is set to show all icons whether they are active or not.

Thankyou for your help.:)

2. crust

crust Registered Member

I'd like to get this sorted out before I upgrade to the paid version if possible.

Thanks.:)

3. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi crust and welcome to Wilders. ;)

If you start the NOD32 Control Center from Start/Programs/Eset/NOD32 Control Center, does the icon then appear?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe a log from Hijackthis would reveal a tool that hides icons under certain circumstances.

5. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

6. crust

crust Registered Member

Thanks. It seems the problem is that Windows booted too quickly for NOD32. So for the moment at least I've enabled a passworded logon to slow down the process. It's not an ideal solution, but hopefully this is something that could be altered in V3? (Beethoven: Good work on your 9th Symphony also :) )

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

7. crust

crust Registered Member

On closer inspection, that only seems to work when I log off and log on, not after the computer has been shutdown and restarts. :eek:

8. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

I have the same problem.
    But even when the icon doesn't show up.. NOD32 is still running.

I installed Processexplorer (www.sysinternals.com) and I seen the NOD32-Task.
    In Processexplorer is also a Button available called 'BRING TO FRONT'.
    When I click this button, NOD32 openes and the Tray-Icon is visible.

Even updates are doen while the icons where invisible.
    So the functionality was still ok all the time.

9. samej

samej Registered Member

I've followed BlackSpears instruction re. change in the registry, but cannot seem to complete it. When I try to enter the name in the new string (nod32kui) I keep getting the following msg: The Registry Editor cannot rename New Value #1. Error while renaming value."

Can anybody help?
    TIA

10. alglove

alglove Registered Member

It sounds like you do not have sufficient permissions for that key in the registry. Are you logged in with Administrator privileges? If you are, and you still cannot edit this value, try right-clicking on the yellow "Run" folder in the regsitry (on the left side) and choose "Permissions...". "Administrators" and "SYSTEM" should both be allowed "Full Control" and "Read" access. If they are not, then modify them so they do.

This could be why this entry was never added to the registry in the first place.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I don't remember giving this advice anywhere, can you please point me to it...

Cheers :D

12. crust

crust Registered Member

I think he's referring to this thread, although you're not the one who said it. :)

...There's no way to change the boot order sequence is there? Like have NOD32 as a higher priority than other things that run at startup?

13. Blackspear

Thanks for that, didn't think I said it, I'm usually the one advising great caution when playing around with the registry.

14. samej

samej Registered Member

Sorry, Blackspear, my mistake, the advice was from KOTB.

Alfglove, thanks, both items were OK but still impossible to enter nok32.kui. But I do see two registry entries for my previous av, AVG (paid edition), still there.Could this have any bearing? Perhaps I should just wait for NOD version 3 as I'm not too happy messing with the registry.

Thanks for your help.

15. alglove

I do not think the two AVG entries are causing the problem, if you have already uninstalled AVG. However, it is possible that those two entries are still there for the same reason that the nod32kui.exe entry is missing. Something is preventing this part of the registry from being modified correctly. I bet if you tried to modify or delete these two AVG entries, you would also get an error message. If you wait until NOD 3 comes out, you may still have the same problem.

Do you by any chance have some software running that is supposed to monitor startup programs? Maybe that is what is causing the problem.

16. Blackspear

No worries.

17. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

Well,
    I've not read what you people wrote.

But I can confirm that there is some small bug in NOD32 atleast for me,
    like every 10th time I start the computer I don't have a NOD32 tray Icon.
    Althought all protections are running and if I go to Start -> program -> eset -> Nod32 control center. The Control Center apperas but not the tray icon : )

Nothing big, just a little glitch : )

18. samej

samej Registered Member

Thanks again, Alglove. I have just removed the two AVG references in the registry but still could not get nod32kui in. The only startup program I have installed is Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel 2.8 (which I can't seem to get rid of!). Thankfully NOD32 works OK without the icon appearing in the system tray. It's just a small (annoying) glitch.

19. alglove

Do you mean this program? http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    Are you using the version that goes in the Control Panel, or are you using the .exe version?

What if you try editing the registry from Safe Mode?

20. samej

samej Registered Member

The version in the Control Panel. Thanks for all your help.

21. alglove

What if you try renaming (or moving, or deleting) the Startup.cpl file? This is probably located in C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 . Uninstalling it through Add/Remove Programs is another option.

Reboot the computer, and now see if you can add the registry value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.