SandboxIE tip

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brinn, Dec 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I searched sandboxie.com and googled but I couldn't find out how secure the method of deletion of the sandbox was so I created an additive to CleanCache. This way, I can use whatever deletion protocol I wished and not worry about recovery (within reason, of course)

To delete sandboxed bookmark changes, downloads, etc., delete:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Sandbox\DefaultBox

and all sub-directories.

To delete sandboxed registry edits, delete:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sandbox\DefaultBox\Registry

As far as I can tell, this deletes exactly the same items as clicking Delete Contents of Sandbox in Sandboxie Control. Until I learn more about Sandboxie's deletion method, I believe this is the more secure way to go.

2. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I believe Sandboxie doesn't use a "secure" deletion, meaning it does not "overwrite" the files. So if you're worried about files recovery yes, I think that's the way to go.

3. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

That's good to know. I'm a stickler for securely deleting things. I even use Guttman to delete when I accidently right-click and create a new document on my desktop. :eek:

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Tried to add the entry into Ccleaner but it doesn't get clearred.

Sandboxie has a forum and you can post any queeries over there.Also a new version 2.2 came out on the 23rd.

http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=2

5. Actually the last time i checked ccleaner doesn't do 'secure deletion', so I'm not use what you guys are trying to do here??

6. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Well, I don't know about CCleaner's deletion (or "CleanCache", which I never heard of), as I've never used that/those programs. I assumed it had the option based on what the other poster said. I was just answering about Sandboxie's deletion.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  7. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I never said anything about ccleaner. That was someone else. I use CleanCache, which does have the option of doing multiple overwrites.

http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/CleanCache3.html

8. Yes cleancache does have secure deletion of course .

Franklin confused me by talking about ccleaner which does not.

9. eraserhead

eraserhead Guest

Eraser does secure deletions with many over writes and is FREE. Even exceeding Gutmann method, which is not needed anyway. About all you really need is a few overwrites at most, anything more is a waste of time.

After a few overwrites, the only way to recover your top secret data is expensive microscopic examination of the disk platters and that can still be done if you use 1 overwrite or 1000 overwrites. But for the most part only government level would use such method because it quite expensive and time consuming.

If your worried about recovered data then destroy drive completely, overwrites won't help you against recovery from someone with the money and time to do it e.g. big brother. ;)

10. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I understand that but since I run my cleaning programs at night, it doesn't really matter if I do 3 overwrites or 35. If I was really paranoid, I'd rig my place to blow up like Gene Hackman did in Enemy of the State. :eek:

Btw, CleanCache is also free (I have Eraser too).

11. telluride

telluride Guest

LOL! Very funny! I like your ideas. ;) Good movie too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.