Build 2323: Recovery caused a disaster

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

As I stated in another thread, I was pleased to find that 2323 had corrected a problem in 2302, at least the problem has not yet recurred.

First a little background.

The system is multiboot with 4 OS, each is Win 2000 SP4 with updates as of less than two weeks ago. There are 3 SCSI hard drives as follows:

Drive1: C-D
    Drive2: F-H
    Drive 3: I-M

OS are on C, F, G, and J.
    J is the main OS.

Using a demo program violates a tenet of my religion, so I installed the demo in the OS installed on G to protect my main OS on J, at least that's what I had hoped for.

Wow, was I ever punished! I guess that's what I get for violating my religion.

OK, now to the nitty gritty.
    I installed 2323 on Monday in the OS on the G drive, right after doing a backup of the systerm with Retrospect.

I was pleased that I was able to use 2323 to create a full system image backup of all 3 drives to a USB drive. Ooops, fergot to mention all the hard drives use FAT32, the USB drive uses NTFS.

So, I then swapped in another USB drive and ran another backup whilst I went to bed.

When I awoke, I was happy to find that the second backip had also worked.

Alas, this glee was very short lived.

I tested recovering a single file from the backup.

I believe that I selected only a single file, but TI ended up restoring many files from the source drive, and ended with an error. I expect the error was due to TI trying to recover the whole drive and I had intentionally selected a target with insufficient space for that whole drive, since I was recovering only a single file.

Since I do not have a screen shot of my file selection, let's give TI the benefit of assuming that I inadvertently requested a restore of more than just file. I don't think so, but being in a charitable mood, which won't last long, I'll excuse TI here.

I then tried to recovery a single directory. This seemed to work and there was no error.

Well, at this point, I was really happy!
    Of course, being a curmudgeon, being happy does not necessarily make me happy!

Ok, enough for playing with TI in the OS on the G drive, I then TRIED to reboot to my main OS on the J drive.

Here'where I get very, very, ..., very unhappy.
    For each attempt, windows hung up at the windows splash screen or hung up in SAFE mode.

I tried various methods to recover, eve boooting back to the G drive so I could use TI to restore the files on various drives.

I was not able to boot to the J drive until I used Retrospect's disaster recovery CD, and restored ALL the files on all 10 drives.

It would appear that TI somehow clobbered some files, either on the J drive itself, or on drives that have software that is used during the reboot process.

So something drastic happened when I tested recovery using TI.
    I have no idea what.

Needless to say, I've gotten rid of 2323.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard Kaikow,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

I'm really sorry that you are displeased with the work of Acronis software.

Please be aware that it is really hard to say what exactly has happened. Especially since actions you have described should have not affect the functionality of the operating system installed on the drive J: in any way.

I'm afraid that the only way to investigate this problem is to reproduce it which you most likely will not want to try.

If you nevertheless will decide to proceed with the investigation then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Reproduce the problem then and create Acronis Report once more.

Rename reports created to report_before.txt and report_after.txt accordingly.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report files to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I expect to try again with a future build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.