BOClean CPU usage

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JohnK, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnK

JohnK Registered Member

Treated myself to BOClean today. I've only been using it for a few hours, but I'm experiencing very frequent BOClean CPU spikes (up to 100%). Every few minutes, for up to ten seconds - enough to be very annoying.

I've tried a few obvious things - I thought it might be a clash with my AV (Avast) so I swapped it for E-Trust v7, but that didn't make a difference. I also killed off AdMuncher, which seemed a likely cause, but again that made no difference.

I can't imagine my firewall is causing the problem (Kerio 2.1.5). Other than that I don't run any other security software. I seem to be running the latest BOClean (4.20.002). So I'm running out of ideas. My system is fairly modern (Athlon XP 2200+), and I'm running XP SP2. Any suggestions?

John

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Personally I've experienced a drop in spiking from when I had 4.12. I suggest you contact support.

3. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I also can see that the spiking of CPU with version 4.20.002 have increase compare to version 4.12.003o_O?

What is it going on? I thought that problem was resolved for good with version 4.20?

4. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

I have excluded certain apps (the exclusion feature is very convenient), and I see at the most spikes of 4 to 7%. Very manageable. I've added all the modules of ProcessGuard, and all the modules of MS Antispyware to my exclusion list. Problem solved for me.

5. SSK

SSK Registered Member

After a couple of spikes after loading, it settles around 2% every couple of minutes. Kevin mentioned in another thread that, due to design changes in the way BOClean works, loading could be a little bit longer/heavier as more is checked. :)

The best advise is allready given: contact support, they are very helpfull!

6. The Hammer

I tried excluding NOD to see if it made any further difference, but it did not. Mind you I wasn't really expecting any as Kevin said it would work better than before with NOD and PG.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just to provide a visual example of what folks are saying, here's a screen shot of my own system running. BOClean is running with it usual spiking at a about 2-5% in this shot. Launch a new process and it will spike high, as it should.

For those seeing high CPU utilization, does it occur on the same rapid frquency base as shown here (every 10 seconds)? Or is it intermittent?

By all means - do contact vendor support, they are very good at following up.

Blue

Attached Files:

• boc.png
      boc.png
      File size:
      15.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Here's what it does on my machine (naturally, I have NOD32 and PG ;-)

Attached Files:

9. The Hammer

It takes longer to close down also, at least for me, but that is not a problem.

10. BlueZannetti

As far as I can recall, the 003 build you refer to was actually a special test build for folks with substantial PG compatibility problems. It eliminated the spiking problem, but was not a global solution or option for all users. The 4.20.002 is a global solution for all, including PG users. Also, bear in mind that the magnitude of the spiking depends on a lot of factors, including the number and specific identity of all other processes running.

The only yard stick that I use is responsiveness of the system console when I am at the keyboard. If you feeling something there - and PG users did in some circumstances with the 4.12 general build - it's an issue. If you can't feel the difference there, worrying about it is probably not the best use of time. Recognize it, be aware of it for future reference in the event of problems, but look at it in the global context of overall system performance.

Blue

11. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but I've been trying to figure out how to get the performance graph for BOClean on my computer. I thought it was in the task manager, but I see the graph is for BOClean properties. I've been trying to figure out how to find it, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

12. JohnK

JohnK Registered Member

That seems to help - I excluded E-Trust and Admuncher, and told E-Trust to ignore Admuncher and BOClean. The spiking still occurs, but is much less frequent and mainly when it's to be expected.

Only question: does using exclusions (in BOClean or the AV) present any significant security risk?

13. BlueZannetti

Use Process Explorer. Find the desired process in the listing in that program, double click and a detail view pops-up.

Blue

14. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Thanks, Blue. Now I can see my BOClean spikes are around 2%.

15. john2g

john2g Registered Member

2% is normal for me. In fact, no different from previous builds.

16. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hello, what are the consequences of spiking? Is there any long lasting damage done? I just checked my own and see it rises fairly high also. o_O

Attached Files:

17. BlueZannetti

manOFpeace,

Spiking means the CPU is being used for some task, that it is no longer idling. It's always clocking away, it's just that most of the time it is idling. The plot you're showing is CPU activity minus idle (all processes + system idle = 100% or all processes = 100% - system idle). It is not that there is damage being done (none is!), but are CPU resources being used for process A and therefore unavailable for other processes (like surfing, or writing an email, or running a spreadsheet) when needed. If it's a problem, you will see lagging response while using these other applications.

You own screenshot looks normal to me. The large spikes shown are almost certainly some other processes, the periodic blips at ~5-10% fullscale is BOClean's signature. If you get ahold of Process Explorer the consumption of resources per process will be easier to see. You will see BOClean spike high at certain events, as it should, simply because it is being asked to perform its job.

Blue

18. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Thank-you very much BlueZannetti, a good detailed explanation. ;)
    Unfortunately the large spikes are that of BOClean. It then goes down to 2-4 for a while. I don't recall that kind of activity in previous version of BOClean.o_O

Edit;With Process Explorer the spikes for BOClean are much lower, similar to your post above!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

This sounds like a good suggestion. BoClean will by pass or just give a minimal check of your trusted apps. I would think you would be safe putting other security apps. in the exclusion list. ;)

Thanks for the good information Blue as usual, I kept saying .003 build o_O . But I see why there is such a special build now. I think that proves the point about the good service too. :)

By the way the highest spike I've seen is 10%, with nothing in the exclusion list.

20. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Maybe your system is infected with something.. You should check HijackThis log to make sure everything is ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.