version 3 date?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Salamander, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salamander

Salamander Registered Member

Does anyone know when version 3 will be out?

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Wish I knew :p

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Search this forum - the official word was ... "don't ask for a date..."

4. POS

POS Guest

Ok, I wont ask for a day, but for a month, may I?

5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you may not...

6. Salamander

Salamander Registered Member

mutter, mutter, mutter............... I'm hoping it's soon!

7. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Registered Member

Fear not. It will be out when it's done.

8. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

LOL Duke Nukem Forever says what? :D

9. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Ok .
    to get you geared up : Version 3 will be out next year ! Probably February . Of course , being so far away anything can happen . My sources tell me not to even think about it this year . Not even a beta put together yet . So , the rumors have started but , i am saying you have a bit of a wait .
    Better play with something else til then .:cool: :D

10. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

A question to ask about Ver 3. I'm currently using V2.0, so if I open the NOD32 panel and click update not will that automatically update it to Ver 3.0 or is that update now only meant to update virus definitions and not program updates.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Every version to date has had the facility to make upgrades of the engine, though once in a blue moon there is an issue, and in such a case you will have to uninstall and reinstall a fresh copy of the new version.

You can see your update options in Control Panel> Update> update> Setup> Program components

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

12. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Tomorrow (tm) :D

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

LOL, The Cheques in the mail (tm) ;) :D

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Even the first, earliest, top-secret alpha build should only be out (and it will only be available to Eset employees) by January.....

15. berng

berng Registered Member

What is the hurry? Isn't the version we currently have good enough?

16. hollywoodpc

That is basically what I said Firecat . lol . Guess noone chooses to believe me . Oh well . I will get over it . lol . I was just trying to answer the question in truth . And the Alpha will probably be in January . I cannot say anything else . Firecat , you know the deal . Wonder how many more times this question will be asked in the next 3 weeks .? Hmmmm . 4 months minimum is a likely bet .
    See ya FC

17. hollywoodpc

Hi Berng .
    The version we have is great . No doubt . Anytime something good exists , people seem to waqnt to know when the next version will come . It is sad but true . To give respect though , I must say that Version 3 will ( more than likely but too far off to know for sure ) be an awesome program differing quite a bit from what we have not . For the better though . Just remember . That is an opinion . Nothing is set in stone . My goodness . Too far away .
    Hope that helps

18. gue_st

gue_st Guest

No, it is not.

Even though the engine is good, probably the best, user interface is extremely clumsy and some things are just plain ?strange?.

Also, there is no "off" switch and expanation given by Eset support is *strange* at best. As minimum, there should be an option during install which would enable manual unload of the kernel service.

19. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi gue_st:

That would depend on your perspective regarding the user interface. IMO it is very simple. When I go to other products, they are clumsy. ;)

It is also simple to unload the kernel by clicking "Stop" for AMON. In addition, one can check or uncheck "Enable automatic startup of AMON". "Allow manual stopping" can also be checked or unchecked under the Security feature of AMON. ;)

20. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

The interface in NOD is so much easier than many other AV's I've tried.
    It does take a little longer to remember where all the options are, I'll grant you that, but once you got it figured out it's really really simple to use.

21. gue_st

gue_st Guest

I agree, NOD32 user interface is not bad.
    But what I was saying, it is not well designed, or, can say design is not finished, so - it can be improved in v3.

Right and left click on system tray icon performs the same action. Is that how you use sytray icon in properly designed user interface?
    Disabling Amon will turn systray icon red. But with Amon enabled, turn off other modules and there is no indication of that! Logically, any change of default configuration should be indicated somehow.
    On-demand scanner - how many clicks do you need to launch it from system tray icon? Why there is no right click menu to launch it immediately? It is simply ridiculous to assume having desktop icon for something that is already in system tray.
    I enabled ThreatSense to be able to submit viruses to Eset - selecting "ask before submitting". I have one harmless test virus on my computer - to check AV's. So, NOD detects it, asks to submit, I cancelled. And then, every 3min, it starts bugging me with baloon saying that something is not submitted - only way seems to disable ThreatSense. So how is it properly designed?

About unloading kernel service - according to Eset support, that is not possible. Of course, you can disable all modules, but that is not a complete solution. First, kernel still running and second, that is simply funny to assume somebody to list through all menus disabling modules, then enabling them again. At absolute minimum, they could make right click option "disable protection". Even then, problem to shut down kernel service would still remain.

Finally, it is obvious that primary thing for antivirus is to detect viruses properly, and NOD32 does that, it is much better to have this than good user interface with poor antivirus.
    But you may be surprised how many users have to choose other products just because of these small things. What I was saying, there is real need for that v3.

22. iMigs

iMigs Registered Member

To be honest, I realy don't understand why there is so much fuzz about NOD v.3. I am trialing NOD v.2.5 and i think it's great, it's just lean and mean. Why does it have to be changed? The more they will add on features the more it will use resources.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  23. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That's not really true; look at KAV 5 versus the betas of KA6. There are obviously more features in KAV 6 and yet it uses far less resources.

Also, NOD3 needs to be talked about because there might be people on the fence (like me) that are considering KAV 6 or NOD. NOD shouold have taken a page for Kasperskys book and release beta (or alphas) that way the user know, at least to some to degree, what they are getting so they have more than promises to go on. At this point there is nothing to go on at that's why a lot of users here (see: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=107154) are upset and going with KAV over NOD.

24. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Huh, NOD32 does release beta versons for testing when they are ready.

Example:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42460

25. gue_st

gue_st Guest

No matter what they say, obviously KAV detects more viruses in real life.
    I had to clean a PC, when it already didn't even boot up. Trend System Cleaner found 4 viruses, NOD32 - 4 more (!), but machine was still not able to boot. KAV found and cleaned 7 (!!!) more, only after that it was possible to boot the PC.

Ok, that said, looks like KAV uses MUCH more resources - I wouldn't be wondering if 10 times. Obviously that is a price for "honest" scanning.

BUt then again, KAV can be completely unloaded, if necessary. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.