What went wrong with TI9?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gm10, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gm10

gm10 Registered Member

Hi all,
    The following is not flaming. I am just looking for a help.

I downloaded and installed TI9. Immediiately I found out:
    1. All of a sudden my hard drive became 90% full, and I was unable to do defrag.
    2. Because of very small fonts used in TI, I was unable to read help. I was unable to increase fonts either. Also, TI does not allow to copy the text from the help window. Otherwise I'd printed it from Notepad.
    3. TI refused to proceed with backup with the massage:' Error ED0640068"failed to create scheduled task" Error #1722" The RPC server is unavailable"

I removed TI9 from the hard drive. Cleaned the Registry with RegVac and Regedit. To my surprise I found almost no garbage left there.
    All I need from a backup program is to backup my entire HD and to be able to restore it fast in case of crash. Nothing else.
    Since I read good good reviews about TI, I'd be willing to give it another try. Is there a way to avoid above mentioned problems? Should I go and get TI8 on eBay? That program seems to be getting unanimous thumbs up.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Boris

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

TI9- A lesson in "If it ain't broke - don't fix it"

Go get TI8 and enjoy.

3. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

If you buy TI9 then Acronis will allow you to download TI8 to use now.
    When TI9 becomes more stable you can then download the most recent build without having to pay for the upgrade from TI8 to TI9.

4. airadog

airadog Registered Member

I have purchased TI9 and have problems to make a working image. Can you tell me, where i can get TI8 from Acronis (not only a shareware-version to create a boot-disk). I dont want to pay money again for a serial- number for TI8. Thanks

5. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

6. coppertrail

coppertrail Registered Member

I've not had any issues with TI 9. Then again, I use the recovery CD to create all of my images, and I've not tried to restore yet. I did have one problem with the latest build. When I was backing up my machine, it froze 2 different times at different points during the imaging process.

I'm wondering if it had something to do with the 2 GB Hiberfile that I forgot to disable before imaging :'(

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Boris,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you have already purchased the software then please create an account at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

After registering the software please download and install the latest build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which has most of the known problems fixed and available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

If you have note purchased the software yet then please download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0. It should be build 2302.

If any of the problems you listed still persist with the latest build (2302) then please do the following:

1. Regarding the 90% full hard drive. The possible reasons for such problem may be that:

A.) You have created some images saving them on your local hard drive and thus filled your hard drive's free space.

B.) You have created Acronis Secure Zone utilizing the most part of the hard drive's free space.

If that's not the case then, first of all, please check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Make a screen shot of Windows Disk Management (Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management).

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

2. Concerning the small fonts. I have just reviewed Acronis True Image 9.0 help files and figured out that you are correct. The text size is rather small and there is no ability to copy.

I have forwarded this issue to the appropriate person and he will take care of it as soon as possible. I'm inclined to believe that we will most likely make some changes to our help files in the near future.

Please also be aware that you can find all the necessary information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

3. How to resolve the "RPC server is unavailable" problem.

For Windows 2000/XP:

1. Make sure that Acronis Scheduler 2 Service (Administrative Tools -> Services) Startup type is set to Automatic in Properties. If it is not so, make it so.

2. If the above does not help, run the schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe manually in Windows Task Manager (File -> New Task) or do the following:

Download and run schedmgr.exe application which allows you to start/stop Acronis Scheduler 2 Service with the commands below:

schedmgr.exe service start
    schedmgr.exe service stop

For Windows 9x:

1. Run the schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe manually (double click).

2. If the above does not help, run the service with the schedmgr.exe commands described for Windows 2000/XP.

If that does not help then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  8. gm10

gm10 Registered Member

Hello Alexey,

Thank you very much for your detailed response.

Before proceeding I'd like to mention that my business has nothing to do with computers. My knowledge of computers is very limited. All I need TI for is to turn it ON at the end of the day after I have already all other programs OFF. And then, to let TI to save my data while I am taking shower.
    I have already purchased TI9 last night.
    The file that I had my trouble with was already ver. 9.0.0.2302.
    I do not remember doing anything to create Acronis Secure Zone. Probably that was done automaticaly as default setting.
    Unfortunately, I don't have time and knowledge to go through a lengthy troubleshooting process. Could you send me a link to Ver.* and you will get another happy customer?

Thanks in advance,

Boris

9. gm10

gm10 Registered Member

Hi Alexey,
    I am still waiting for a link to Ver. 8. Could you speed it up?
    TIA
    Boris

10. Anon2

Anon2 Guest

Login and use the "contact support" function to send them an email, describing your problem and clearly requesting Acronis TI8. They sent me a serial and a download link for Acronis TI8 in about two working days (their usual response time)

So yay! I'm happy now!

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The proof is in the puddin'. Do the diff types of restores onto a spare drive (one that you can afford to reformat if you have to) to see if the program is actually providing you what you expect. It would be a shame to do backups for weeks of months and then when you need to restore, find out that you cannot.

sh

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Boris,

If you want to temporarily replace your copy of Acronis True Image 9.0 with version 8.0 then please do as I have suggested in this previous post of mine.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

13. gm10

gm10 Registered Member

I got TI8 on my computer and have made the first backup.
    Thank you all very much for the help.

Boris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.