Samurai download link

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Franklin, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Have been trying to download a trial of Samurai 2.5 from various sites and no go.The download page at Major Geek's comes up blank and other download links point to dw.com.com which is blocked by my msvp's hosts file.

Should I just delete this entry from my hosts file to gain access to the download or is it a malaware site which seems to be the reason MSVP hosts has it listed.

Is anyone using Samurai and what do you think of it's capabilities.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

download.com has the 2.5 version but if u want 2.6, PM me with email so i can send it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  3. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Franklin,

I decided to copy and paste a reply that I posted on another thread.

As far as useable links to download Samurai 2.6 are concerned, the two that I know of that I have posted below are not active at this time. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the problem is.

http://geocities.com/turbotramp2/samurai.html
    http://turbotramp.fre3.com/

Just to rehash what I have said about Samurai 2.6 in another forum, I am a satisfied user of this hardening security application with all options selected except for the denial of service and rootkit feature and would like to take this opportunity to share my experience with the rootkit function enabled.

With it enabled I found that I was unable to access sysedit, command.com and my cd-rom/dvd. Additionally, I found that I could not install 16-bit software apps. and run SysInternals apps. such as RootKitRevealer.

Because of the above problems with the rk function, I recently installed UnHackMe(paid) to take its place and WormGuard(paid) to take the place of Attack Shield WS(free).

FYI, Attack Shield WS guards nine system processes, protects against buffer overflow attacks and possibly guards against rootkits. For a good "free" security and hardening setup I recommend Samurai 2.6 with the denial of service and rootkit function options disabled, Harden-It and Attack Shield WS or Harden-It, Secure-It and Attack Shield WS. Links to Harden-It and Secure-It are posted below.

http://sniff-em.com/

Additionally, I would like to mention that I prefer Samurai over Secure-It because it is easier to enable/disable specific security options. On the other hand, Samurai does not have the DropMyRights feature.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

4. WSFuser

5. supersurfer

supersurfer Guest

Hi WSFuser. Can you tell me if the version in your link is 2.6? And what's the diff between 2.5 and 2.6? Thanx.

6. Franklin

Thanks for the help WSFuser and CogitoErgoSum.

7. WSFuser

i uploaded 2.6 (check teh about menu) but i have no ideas about the change log

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The maker was in some kind of trouble with PivX right? Nice to see that you can still download it from download.com. :D Together with SafeXP it´s my favorite hardening tool, PreEmpt from PivX (another hardening tool which is payware) really doesn´t offer that much more at the moment.

And I also prefer it over Secure IT, only thing is that the GUI could have been better, but not a big deal though. And thanks for the feedback CogitoErgoSum, I didn´t use the anti Rootkit feature because I was a bit afraid that it wouldn´t work well, seems that I was right. ;)

9. Arup

Arup Guest

I have been using the rootkit feature since from the very day Samurai was launched, never had any problems but I usually do all my major installs before applying Samuria.

10. Franklin

Tried Safexp and found it quite a useful tool.Downloaded Samurai from rapidshare in rar but it states the archive is corrupt.

The download.com link goes to dw.com.com which is blocked by my mvps hosts file so I still haven't been able to try out Samurai.

11. WSFuser

why not temporarily disable the HOSTS file? also for my archive, try using powerarchiver winzip or any other decent program. its not corrupt (i tried it) i just used rearchived it with enhanced deflate.

12. Franklin

Thanks WSFuser,7 zip extracted no probs.

13. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I tried downloading Samurai via the rapidshare link provided and at first I got the same exe error that was mentioned. Then I switched compression programs, from izarc to tugzip, and everything went fine. Tugzip (http://www.tugzip.com/) is really amazing. It's freeware too!!!

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

?? Samurai gone

Anybody know hwere the Samurai d/l site(s) have gone?

Regards

15. Arup

Arup Guest

Re: ?? Samurai gone

Probably murdered, luckily I saved mine and it works nicely here.

16. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

17. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

The only change was addition of Hyper Help - The help file contained links to external webpages which thoroughly explain each exploit covered by Samurai -

Change logs - http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26738&hl=samurai

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Samurai was made with stolen code, which is probably why it's gone. He could have just as easily made his own tool from scratch that uses the same registry settings, but chose instead to swipe the whole code. The rootkit prevention module was being developed for PivX, but never saw the light of day because it could never pass QA.. most likely because of the problems mentioned above. As for whether PreEmpt offers anything more.. it does now. They've added quite a few things, including protection for other apps besides just Windows and AIM, although they don't mention it anywhere, including the UI. I'm assuming this is because of undisclosed vulnerabilities. They also offer a "virtual registry" to protect those apps from having the protection settings altered. Edit: (rephrased, please see post #23)

Personally I think that for the free tools, you're probably better off with Secure-It. It offers most of the same protection, more (in some areas) if you include Harden-It.

Attack Shield works completely differently from the others you mention and actually complement them quite well. Of course it's up to the individual to decide if they want to trade the resources for the protection, but other than that there shouldn't be a need to decide between Attack Shield and the hardening tools or WormGuard. WormGuard is more geared towards worms that come in through your email, where Attack Shield is geared towards network worms that exploit vulnerabilities in system processes that face the internet, which may not even use scripts. Attack Shield would be the only one of the bunch that uses any resources full-time.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  19. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I continue to hear that "chicken or the egg" rumor..never seen any hard evidence or proof of ownership..but still assuming when lawyer's finally get down to it..then the finger pointing will stop..and post will be made based upon the merits of an applications..and not all the juicy bits. ;)

As you know Samuri is NOT gone. :ninja: ;)

20. 345rwf

345rwf Guest

I use samurai with everything enabled - works fine afaik.

Prevx 1
    PG
    RegDefend

21. 345

345 Guest

however, this is all I find in the log:

22. Arup

Arup Guest

I have been using Samurai with no problems, that too in three of my PCs, I have made my point before on other threads about the so-called stolen aspect of any software, its a thin gray line and all are criminals in my book, especially the big players.

23. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Maybe I am jumping the gun here with my assumptions, and will concede that I should be more careful about my choice of words, but we do need to be careful about what kind of kernel mode programs (drivers) we install. If you want good protection in that area, there are plenty of solid alternatives with no question of their quality or legitimacy. If you want to use it yourself, I have no problem with that. Please read on.

My contention isn't with the stolen code as much as the code that was never approved because it couldn't meet quality standards (especially when you get down into kernel mode code). Sloppy kernel mode code can do the same thing that (any) sloppy code did in Win9x - slowly deteriorate things (because it has ability to manipulate other process' memory) until it's impossible to fix and you have to format, never knowing what the actual source of the problem was. As for the rest of it, it should not be hard for a programmer to put together a simple tool to set registry settings. Anyone determined to do so, could.. with or without programming experience (Visual Basic or some other program that will run script commands, maybe an installer like Secure-It). He could have taken and used all the same registry settings and that would be fine, that's also perfectly legal since it's not touching the internal code.

I did break my own rule (actually several) of not speaking in such definite terms about things that I have no direct involvment in. So I do apologize to all and, again, will watch my wording from here on out. It wasn't really my intention to come off that harsh, and have no excuse for doing so. I do hope, however, that you can understand my point about recommending people add in software with kernel mode components that are of dubious legitimacy and quality... just as I would take issue with someone recommending similar beta software to the same people. It may work just fine on your system, but it may cost someone that can't fix their own system a lot more than just a day to format, without knowing what caused it.

As a side note, if the legal thing turns out completely against PivX, I will remove all mention of them from my page and never mention them again. I have no loyalty to PivX, they're actually fairly low on the list of "likable" companies compared to most of the others you see mentioned around here. They do, however, make a good hardening program.

SO.. to rephrase my previous post; It's quite possible that the site is down due to legal issues surrounding the legitimacy of the program, the note that the site is 'suspended' makes me think so. It should probably be understood that PivX claims this software belongs to them, and that the rootkit protection was never let to see the light of day because it could never meet quality standards. As for whether PreEmpt offers anything more.. it does now. They've added quite a few things, including protection for other apps besides just Windows and AIM, although they don't mention it anywhere. I'm assuming this is because of undisclosed vulnerabilities. They also offer a "virtual registry" to protect those apps from having the protection settings altered.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  24. Franklin

Had a look at Samurai and decided not to try it as I had SafeXP and Attack Shield running.Would these two offer protection equal to pre-emt?

Didn't know anything about Samurai alledgedly using stolen code.

25. Notok

Notok Registered Member

What Attack Shield does is watch some critical system processes and make sure they don't do anything out of the ordinary, blocking any abnormal behavior such as buffer overflows. SafeXP, SecureIt, PreEmpt, Samurai, and the other hardening tools make changes to your Windows configuration, disabling things that were mostly meant for corporations. Since large corporate environments are run by relatively few computer guys (several hundred, if not thousand, users vs MAYBE between 5 and 20 admins/techs) Windows is made so that they can control the systems remotely.. that is, they can install software on a computer on the other side of the building from their own desk. Obviously you don't need this kind of capability on your home system, and if a malicious person is able to access your system, they can potentially utilize these functions for some pretty nasty ends. A firewall will block many of these, but there's always the possibility that something will get in through your browser or email, or a possibly a hole in your firewall, especially if it's not configured well. Attack Shield will cover completely different things than the hardening tools will.. so if you want to run both, there won't be any harm in doing so. As to whether it will provide similar protection to PreEmpt- no, it's very different. Secure-It is fairly similar, though, and is free.

And sorry to hijack your thread :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.