threads heading remain bold

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by hadi, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might try emptying your browser cache;)

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

With the new software, they remain marked unread until you either read them or "mark forum read;" regardless of visits and logouts.

4. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    cache is automatically empted after every restart.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

as stated by Detox it is the new forum software that is the culprit.

6. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    Thanks
    you mean "forum new software"

7. hadi

hadi Guest

OK thank you

8. hadi

hadi Guest

Yes. I do read all infact, but they remain bold afterward

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

At the top right of any Forum....the Quick Links selection. If you select Mark Forums Read as mentioned above by Detox....do they still stay bold ?

Attached Files:

10. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    Thanks
    Yes they do stay when a forum re-opened.this happens in every single forum in "Wilders Security forums"

11. hadi

hadi Guest

12. hadi

hadi Guest

Its really confusing. I can't follow the new threads because all threads now are marked unread and BOLD . Any help please

13. dog

dog Guest

Hi Hadi,

Regarding the thread markers - Read/unread. Instead of them being based upon your last visit / last activity values in cookies as they were under the last version of vBulletin, they are stored in the database so that you will retain unread markers in the forum and thread displays Until you mark either the entire forum, or individual sub-forums as read, actually read the threads, or until they are more than a month old.

I've also logged on as a guest ... with another browser to check to see if I could duplicate your issue but I can't and I don't have any issue with the thread read markers. :doubt:

Regards;

Steve

Attached Files:

14. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hadi,

It probably has something to do with cookie controls on your system, whether in the browser itself, or via proxy / filtering / firewalling, or similar software because "for guests" cookies, (primarily session based), are the sole means for handling unread thread markers. The new changes in vBulletin 3.5, where the thread/forum read markers get stored in the database, applies only to members.

If using the Mark Forums Read, or the individual "Mark This Forum Read" links are only effective on a temporary basis, then there is cookie blockage happening. There are two cookie values, one that is a hash of all "sub forums" marked as read, and another that is all threads marked as read. If after returning to a subforum index page those that should have been marked as read suddenly are unread again, then your system is not maintaining or passing the cookie values properly. I have tested guest usage here in different browsers and it does work in general, so it is most likely a system issue somewhere at your end.

If you have any filtering or proxy software, check the settings. Also, you could look for any tool, or the browser options that allow you to look inside cookies to see their values, and if they are getting set, to see if they are simply getting cleared every time you click from page to page.

15. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    my system is as is for 3 months(i.e nothing installed and nothing removed) cookies are wiped on every restart (I use ccleaner set to automaticly clean on restart also I do check them manually), "Mark Fourms read" or "Mark This Forum Read" helps only on spot (i.e after forum reopening the threads are back in bold). Also I neither have any filtering or proxy software nor firewall.
    so if "it is most likely a system issue somewhere at my end". What am I to do please

16. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Unfortunely, I can't say exactly what it is, but it is very likely to be on your end since if it was a global problem, it wouldn't work for any guests using the forum. There are no known bugs similar to this, and none of our tests can't recreate the problem you are seeing.

My best suggestion is to get a cookie viewer for your browser, and look at all cookies related to wilderssecurity.com. Make sure all five are there, (see image below), especially the 'bbforum_view' and 'bbthread_lastview'. The way unread threads, (and forums marked with unread threads in them), get display in bold is a relationship between your lastvisit / lastactivity, and the threads and forums you've actually read (as stored in those cookie values). If anything interferes with those cookies at all, then you'd lose the threads and forums marked as read, and each refresh could do what you are seeing - show the same threads/forums as unread again, even though you've read them.

There is nothing in the forum software or database that stores these values for guests. It's all done in those session cookies held by and passed back from your browser.

Another thing you can do is try a different browser to see if it is just a problem in one browser you are using.

Here are the five primary cookies that are needed to maintain full session / read & unread markers for guests. (These are shown from firefox.) As threads are read or forums are marked as read, the values in those two cookie variables get updated to maintain your perspective of the forum.

Attached Files:

17. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hello, I've been trying to get some information on this subject these past few days as it is a nuisance trying to keep up to date with earlier posting.
    Is there no way back to the "old" way when messages were faded after reading. Surely we don't have to keep going back to "Quick Links" to keep us up to date with read messages for ever?
    Please? someone in charge re-consider! :(

18. manOFpeace

I'm back again after checking cookies you have in your box. I have the first and last cookies in your box. I only have 4 in total in mine. I have two that are not on your list. They are, bbuserid and bbpassword. Surely that has to do with the site and the cookies they are issuing o_O

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Is your results while you are signed in and do you always view Wilders while signed in ?

20. manOFpeace

Hello Bubba, yes, I am always signed in, the odd time I would have to re-sign in which should keep my cookies up to date. :)

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would ask you to double check your findings Please because as LWM said in his post #14 above....members actions in regards to this are kept in the Forums database not in a cookie.

"the thread/forum read markers get stored in the database, applies only to members."

22. manOFpeace

Hi Bubba, I would be quite happy and confident if LWM was to check the Forums database. Providing the database is accurate. This is one of the few sites I am permanently logged on. :)

23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

So you are saying you have double checked on your end :doubt:

This version has been on here long enough that I'm sure by now other members would have spoken up if the database wasn't accurate.

24. manOFpeace

Bubba, the checks on cookies are very limited, I have not been keeping a log or other such thing. What more can I do other than check the cookies I have presently on my computer. This has been going on since the board was changed, I kept waiting for the fix to this problem. There are others with the same problem so I am not the only one.
    What has changed on the cookies front with the change to new board? :)

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To my knowledge there has only been mentioned by 2 posters....a Guest and a Member.
    Yeah....I did not mean you need to check your records or cookies. I was asking if you mind findind a Forum that has a thread in it that you have not read. Read that thread then when you close out that thread and revisit that forum....is that thread still showing un-read if there was no posts added in that brief time
    As was mentioned in my previous post concerning what LWM has already said.... a signed in members Last activity is stored in the database....not in a cookie. Guests on the other hand receive a bbthread_lastactivity session cookie. We as signed in members do not need a session cookie to maintain our last activity since that info is stored on the database.

That's about all the info I can share and when LWM sees these posts he can then share with you the part about the database which is his to maintain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.