SpIDerGuard v4.33 fixed?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Blackcat, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The service upgrade to version 4.33 can be obtained to-day through the normal internal update procedure through the program.

After deselecting "Scan running programs and modules" in the SG settings I am no longer seeing any high CPU usage at all.

So on THIS machine everything now seems okay :p

Has this update solved the problems for other Dr Web users who had difficulties with this new version?

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Thanks for your update Blackcat, I just read the Dr. Web forum about this and I'll re-install Dr. Web tomorrow just to see how things are. I'm glad you see a big difference already, so......let's hope everything is ironed out smoothly!

'Good luck! ;)

Putin

3. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Blackcat
    Thanks for the heads up.
    It shows SPIDERGUARD uploaded version 4.33.0.10173 (have no idea about x.xx.0.10180)
    I will do some testing and let putin and the others know if the "problems" are still in this release.
    Cheers :)

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For those using WinME, following DRW information is current (?) as of 10/24/2005...
    Engine 4.33.0.09273 2005-09-27
    Agent 4.33.0.10170 2005-10-17
    Scanner 4.33.0.09293 2005-09-29

P.S.-I haven't used my WinXP partition in ages. I plan to *bite the bullet* on replacing my WinME-only programs when Vista arrives.

5. Benvan45

Using XP Pro:

Spider Guard Version: 4.33.0.10173
    Engine: 4.33.0.09273
    Scanner: 4.33.0.09293

Hope all these figures match with all users at this moment.

Good luck ! ;)

Putin

6. Benvan45

Just installed and configured after the service release and this is my comment:

Copied and deleted 30 Mb exe file again. CPU went up to 100% for a short time, but still 100%. I don't care for the CPU peak, but it is the slowdown that bothers me. It took 18 seconds!!!

See screendump:

Spiderguard.JPG

Still find slowdown, a lot less than before, but I think it's still NO GOOD!
    Blackcat had no trouble at all, but for me this remains a riddle and removed the doctor again, but now permanently for sure. Too bad.
    I am now comparing this new behaviour with Nod32 and find this unacceptable. Never seen this kind of trouble with 4.32b I have used with great pleasure.

Hope other users have better results after this service release.

Good luck ! :doubt:

Putin

7. Bob

Bob Registered Member

With me copying a 59 mb file takes ages; nothing has changed.
    I think something is wrong with the update.
    If I look at the forum:
    http://forum.drweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=1941
    it looks to me the Spiderguard version should be:

=========================================
    SpIDer Guard for Windows NT/2000/XP v4.33
    Copyright (c) Igor Daniloff, 1992-2005
    =========================================

and not: 4.33.0.10173

Bob

8. Benvan45

You are so right, the upgrade is no good! Like you said, it should be 4.33.0.10180, so where is it?

I even installed the latest download, so what else is there to do?

This is what I mean, this is no way to frig around with a great product like it's always been!

Who else still has slowdowns?

:( Putin

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I was prompted to do a reboot with my update and afterward I noticed one or two minor changes with a new save paused state button on my control panel. Checking the Spidernt log I show #4.33.0.10180. I wonder if this fixes Processguard yet??. It would be nice to see a change log...:doubt: :eek: :rolleyes: :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  10. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

Where are you pulling that version number from? Do this: open the DrWeb program folder and find then open spidernt.log file and check the version listed there.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  11. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

So far so good with the updated Spiderguard. I noticed they added the little information bubble window when the guard updates, a little idea they got from NOD I guess. Processguard still is not working as I found out through trial and lockup. Had to remove it in safemode...:rolleyes: :D

12. Benvan45

Just don't understand why I never saw these changes after a complete fresh install with de upgraded Spider Guard yesterday!!!!!

There's something spooky going on here with the doctor!!!!

Good luck ! ;)

Putin

13. Blackcat

The new service upgrade is now available as part of the full download of v.4.33 from the main site.

My high CPU usage when changing the SpiderGuard settings has now gone and the program now appears to be up to its old fast speed.

However, one problem I have is in the ACTIONS of the SpiderGuard settings. I can change permanently the default settings of the Infected and Suspicious Objects but NOT the Infected Compound Objects and Malware. When I change the settings of the last 2 , select Apply and then Okay, they always revert back to the default settings.

The new pause button which Mongol referred to was previously available in the last NT version so I am presuming he uses WIN98/Me. But like putin, I have yet to see the “new update balloons.”

However, I don’t like the way the updater now minimizes itself to the taskbar during updating.

There are apparently some bugs left in the program, including putin's one of deleting large files, and these can be seen in the bug tracker program available for users of Dr Web.

Further, forum support is getting better.

14. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

After spiderNT update, DrWeb works just like it used to. No problems here at all. ;)

tD

15. Technodrome

I've seen it last night and this morning so its there. Maybe you missed it or turned this (XP/2000) feature off.?

tD

16. Blackcat

Have just seen one now :cool: :D :blink:

17. Benvan45

Are you not having any slowdown when copying/deleting large exe files? I always use the same exe file for testing, 30 Mb.
    I still had the same trouble yesterday, but it didn't take as long as before the upgrade.
    Please let me know!

;) Putin

18. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I run XP here but never noticed that button til this update, I guess that explains why I wear glasses eh?. I did get an email from DrWEB acknowledging they are looking into the Processguard conflict from Pavel Ershov so that fix is hopefully in the works. Not a real big issue though since Spysweeper has a limited sort of Process Guard to it...:eek: Otherwise the old Doctor is becoming a more polished bit of software all around.

19. Technodrome

I just deleted 38 MB exe file. No slow downs.

tD

Attached Files:

20. Bob

Bob Registered Member

Downloaded Dr Web half an hour ago.
    Updated.
    Copying a 59 Mb file still takes ages.
    Bob

21. Benvan45

See.....what on earth are we doing wrong? Technodrome has no problem with it and there are others, that don't. There are a few of us having this slowdown and I just wonder what we do different!

Are more users willing to copy & delete a large exe file and state here if it took a long time or what? A screendump would be great, like Technodrome did.
    I am very curious.

Good luck ! ;)

Putin

22. Benvan45

Thanks for the screendump, would you be so kind to post your configuration?

There must be a reason for the different experiences.....and I really would love to get my finger behind that.

My screendump shows 18 seconds for deleting 30 Mb..........that's what I mean.

Thanks in advance!

;) Putin

23. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I can't find a proper "en-spider" help file. That help file I've got says nothing about that "enhanced protection mode" in SpIDer Guard Scan options. Just curious, how does that "enhanced protection mode" add your protection?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

24. Technodrome

Default settings with "all files" (file types tab).

tD

25. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

It took some time when I understood how DrWeb is naming those new versions of SpIDer Guard.

The "spidernt.log" file looks like this.

================================================================================
    ================================================================================

When you check the properties of the "spider.sys" file, there you can see also that same version as above. But when you right click the spider icon in taskbar and choose "Control...", you can see an other version of SpIDer Guard.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.