Information please for a newbie!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by carlieann, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlieann

carlieann Registered Member

Hi,

I'm new to this forum & would like to say hi to all & ask the following please:

I've been using Nod32 to see if it's better than norton [which i've always used]. So far i've found this much better as it doesnt hog my system for starters & it does as it says, very impressed! Though i found that using the scan it shows all my files as locked [4] i know from previous posts on here that that's fine. But i always get this message [in blue] before it scans:
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1.1263 (20051021) NT
    Checking CRC of NOD32.EXE: Status OK
    Operating memory is OK.
    "Error occurred while scanning MBR sector of the 2. physical disk. Error reading sector".
    Is this normal or is something wrong??

Hope someone has the time to answer my question.

Thanks in advance ;)

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi carlieann, welcome to Wilders.

There isn't an issue here, you are receivng the MBR error messages because:

1. you perform a system scan under the account of a limited user
    2. you have a special boot manager or suchlike program that alters boot sectors installed
    3. you use a card reader while no card is actually inserted.

In your case it is more than likely number 3 that you are seeing.

If you haven't already seen the Extra Settings for Nod32 thread, you might like to take a wander through it to see if you have everything set up how you would like it.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. carlieann

carlieann Registered Member

Hi Blackspear & thanks for reply.

I do have a card reader within my epson printer, i turned the printer off & that sorted it out & its not displaying that now, cheers.

I set my nod32 earlier today using the "Extra Settings for Nod32" from here which was very useful & so easy to follow.

Thanks again for the help.
    Kind regards
    ;)

4. Blackspear

Good to see, and my pleasure...

5. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

carlieann:

I too am a new NOD32 user, and the quantity of locked files that I get on a scan is incredible. Locking the pagefile or hiberfil files wouldn't bother me, but I get lots of other locked files for which I cannot think of any justification for them being locked.

For that matter, since my understanding is that the pagefile is a "spillover" location for when some operation runs out of RAM, I'm not thrilled about the pagefile being locked: couldn't malware be there, just like it could be in RAM?

So I'd like to read more about Locked files (and also Access Denied files, which I also get a lot of).

Can you (or anyone else reading this) tell me where you found the "previous posts" that say locked files are not a problem?

Thank you.

Roger Folsom

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

7. rnfolsom

8. Blackspear

Hi Roger, post number 80 gives a description that "[4] Locked Files are password protected or Windows System Swap Files, it is unlikely for such a file to be infected, however the possibility still remains."

In fact I have now personally seen 2 such instances of infected "locked" files and know of another person that has been privy to the same. The answer here was, when a signature became available, both instances were cleaned and no longer appeared as "locked". A more technical answer could be given by Happy Bytes when he is available.

Hope this helps...

9. rnfolsom

Blackspear:

Thanks for referring me to your Post 80. As I note in another thread,
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=605343&posted=1#post605343
    I've been going through your setup posts and they have been essential to me. But I hadn't gotten to #80 yet.

And thanks also for the great news that signature scans do include locked files.

That definitely convinces me that the locked files "error" message is worse than misleading.

I hope that great news includes "Access Denied" files also.

I haven't password protected any files, but perhaps Windows 2000 Sp4 does the equivalent. My "experience" (one scan so far) is that at least some registry files (e.g. NTUser.dat I think) and Windows Update files (saved to enable an uninstall) were either locked or access denied.

Thank you very much for your response.

Roger Folsom

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  10. Blackspear

My pleasure Roger.

11. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

When the on demand scanner opens it checks your operating memory. The pagefile is part of your operating memory.

HTH :)

12. rnfolsom

That's a comfort. Thanks.

Roger Folsom

13. rnfolsom

Blackspear:

FYI: In your "Extra Settings for NOD32" thread, your post #40 link to your post #81 actually links to your post #76. At least, that was my experience yesterday and today.

I found #81 with no problem, so I don't think this needs an urgent fix, but I thought I ought to mention it.

Since I run Win2k vice XP (and intend to continue doing so), I was very glad that you included not only the XP Winsock Fix utility but also the registry edits, which I can modify if needed. I'm not having Winsock problems at the moment, but I figure that having saved your fix information will likely reduce the probability of needing to use it.

Thanks.

Roger Folsom

14. Blackspear

All fixed.

Thanks for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.