Problems with Windows Update

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Defenestration, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

When doing a fresh install of XP Home SP2, followed by an install of LnS, I generally do a Windows Update to get all the latest updates. The first time I do this it works as expected and downloads/installs all the selected updates.

After a reboot, every subsequent attempt to do a Windows Update fails after clicking on the "Custom" button to "Select from optional and high-priority updates for Windows and other programs". Instead of showing the available updates, it shows the following error page with the error number: 0x8024402C.

When I switch to using a different firewall (Kaspersky Anti-Hacker), I have no such problems.

I am using Phant0m's rule-set, although I had the same problem when using the Enhanced Rule-Set.

Has anyone else had similar problems ?

Any ideas on how to get it owrking again ?

2. Klangfarben

Klangfarben Guest

You might consider creating a rule that allows type 3 code 4 ICMP for Windows Update.

3. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I have sent Frederic an email about this problem because I find it quite annoying too and I'm no hero when it comes to making rules...

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

5. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Another forum pointed to the latest Windows Updates, specifically to one called "MS05-051", which addresses a security problem with MSDTC und COM+.
    Some users reported problems using Windows Update after the installation of the patch. Not sure though, if this is related to the problem here :/

Thomas :)

6. Edwin024

It is amazing to see that everything works if you exit LnS...so it must be LnS that's causing the problem. I don't see excluding options in LnS. So I still hope frederic can do something about this.

7. Klangfarben

Klangfarben Guest

This is the rule I created:

Rule Name = [what you desire]

Direction: Inbounds & Outbounds

Ethenet:type = IP

IP
    Protocol = ICMP
    Frag. Offset = All
    Frag. Flags = All

Source (PC >> Net)/ Destination (Net >> PC)
    Ethernet: address = All
    IP: address = All

Rule description = [what you desire]

ICMP
    ICMP: Code = Equals 4
    ICMP: Type = Equal 3

Destination (PC >> Net)/ Destination (Net >> PC)
    Ethernet: address = All
    IP: address = All

I placed the rule above any other ICMP rules.

If you use IE only for Windows Update (like me), then you may wish
    to deactivate the rule when you are not using IE, pressing the
    "Applications..." button in the rule GUI.

By the way, I am using the "StandardRulesSet", and my OS is Windows
    2000 SP4.

8. Defenestration

This rule does not work when using Phant0m's rule-set. :(

9. Edwin024

It doesn't work in the enhanced ruleset that I use, alas...

10. Edwin024

Emailing with Frederic has brought some testing and I found out that turning off application filtering windows update just works. So it is something in LnS!

11. DamonComplex

DamonComplex Guest

This error may appear for several reasons:

• If the client computer has a registration for an Update Services server, and the server cannot be contacted by the agent, this error will be returned.

• If the server is on the network, but the client cannot contact the server, this error may also happen and indicates a possible problem in the proxy server configuration or connectivity issues that prevent the network name resolution process from allowing the client to locate the server on the network.

Check the proxy settings of the computer running MBSA, and ensure the assigned WSUS server is accessible on the network.

On the servers that I was trying to patch that got this error, entering the alternate address in the proxy setting corrected the problem and enabled access to Windows Update

12. Edwin024

With no other firewall this problem occured. And with LnS off the same. And I dont use a network and server and such too....

13. Phant0m

The problem still persistent, regardless Look ‘n’ Stop is off?
    You had said previously, Application filtering to be at fault, so when you said Firewall off, you mean Application filtering along with Internet Filtering disabled, the problem still persistent?

14. Edwin024

No the problem is gone when LnS is totally off or using LnS with application filter off...

15. Phant0m

Alright, so the anomaly has been traced back to being Look ‘n’ Stop Application Filtering… Now you need to troubleshoot, find what Application is being denied the right which causes this anomaly…

16. Defenestration

Good news (at least for me:) ) I tracked my problem down to the DLL detection of LnS blocking WINHTTP.DLL. Not quite sure how it ended up being set to block, but setting it back to Allow means Windows Update now works perfectly.

17. Edwin024

I had exactly the same problem! And my misery is over too now :)

And the same for me: no idea how this dll got blocked in the first place...

18. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Same here.

I suppose by default we all blocked this DLL the first time Look 'n' Stop was asking, and this DLL was not used by any useful connection.
    Now, windows update is using it and we need to allow this DLL.

I don't think the DLL was initially allowed and suddenly was blocked by Look 'n' Stop (because of a bug), at the same time for several users.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.